This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Questions

Janelson

Janelson Apprentice

So since being on this diet I have cut out a lot of foods that I like. I have read the labels on them but I am still nervous that there is wheat in it some how. So I put a list togeather and was just wondering if anyone knew if there was wheat in it or not.

Ranch Dressing

CoffeeMate Creamer (Hazelnut flavor)

Angel Food Cake

Ice Cream- DQ? or just fromt the store

Jelly Beans

Reese Peanut Butter cups (oh how I miss these)

Chinese Fried Rice from restraunts

Boxed Mashed potatoe's

Canned Soups? which ones?

Tootsie Rolls-ate these yesterday!

Looking back at this list I can see that I cut out all of my favorite junk foods. Yet I still managed to gain 15 pounds! How does this work! LOL

Thanks all,

Janelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SueC Explorer

Hi Janelle,

-Kraft Ranch is gluten-free. Kraft products will not hide anything

-Reese Peanut Butter cups are OK :)

-Betty Crocker Potato Buds are gluten-free

-I have yet to find a mainstream canned soup that is ok. There are some at healthfood stores

-Tootsie rolls are also gluten-free

I'm not sure about the other stuff. I believe dairy Queen soft serve is gluten-free but all others listed I have my doubts. I hope this helps and enjoy those Tootsie rolls. Snicker bars are also gluten-free . They are my personal favorite. :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
So since being on this diet I have cut out a lot of foods that I like. I have read the labels on them but I am still nervous that there is wheat in it some how. So I put a list togeather and was just wondering if anyone knew if there was wheat in it or not.

Ranch Dressing

CoffeeMate Creamer (Hazelnut flavor)

Angel Food Cake

Ice Cream- DQ? or just fromt the store

Jelly Beans

Reese Peanut Butter cups (oh how I miss these)

Chinese Fried Rice from restraunts

Boxed Mashed potatoe's

Canned Soups? which ones?

Tootsie Rolls-ate these yesterday!

Looking back at this list I can see that I cut out all of my favorite junk foods. Yet I still managed to gain 15 pounds! How does this work! LOL

Thanks all,

Janelle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ranch dressing-Kraft-all of their products will clearly indicate gluten in the form of wheat,rye,barley, oats right on the label

CoffeeMate is gluten free. Nestle will not hide any gluten so just look for wheat,rye,barley, oats on the label or it will be safe.

Angel Food Cake-not any mainstream brands with mixes that are gluten free but there are recipes

Dairy Queen has a few softserve flavors that are gluten free and you can look on their website for all their gluten free products.

Breyers, Klondike, Good Humor, Popsicle,Ben &Jerry, Haagan Daz(sp?)- all of those brands will not hide anything

Edy's-go to their site and you can get a list of all the gluten free ones

Alot of chinese fried rice has soy sauce which is usually from wheat so you really have to check with each individual restaurant.

Betty Crocker-instant potatoes-they are a General Mills brand which is another brand that will not hide anything.

Amy's and Sheltons have some good canned soups. They are usually found at health food stores

grantschoep Contributor

Soups, Progresso's "Chicken and Wild Rice" soup is gluten-free. Just got done eating a can of it a few minutes ago. I was really surprised when I found out I had gluten intolerance, to find out that 3 of my favorite canned items were also gluten free. Literally, they were my favorite, as if you looked in my cupboard, it was usually filled with just 3 types of cans. I was happy to find out all 3 were gluten-free too!

They were

Hormel Chili with beans

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice

Well ok there was one other I really liked, just plain old Campbell's Chicken noodle. Would love to find some replacement for that.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Soups, Progresso's "Chicken and Wild Rice" soup is gluten-free. Just got done eating a can of it a few minutes ago. I was really surprised when I found out I had gluten intolerance, to find out that 3 of my favorite canned items were also gluten free. Literally, they were my favorite, as if you looked in my cupboard, it was usually filled with just 3 types of cans. I was happy to find out all 3 were gluten-free too!

They were

Hormel Chili with beans

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Progresso Chicken and Wild Rice

Well ok there was one other I really liked, just plain old Campbell's Chicken noodle. Would love to find some replacement for that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Chili by Hormel and Beef Stew by Dinty Moore have been some of my favorites.

I have not found a replacement for chicken noodle soup in a can but Sheltons has a pretty good chicken and rice soup and they have some other flavors too but I have not tried them all.

Also, making chicken noodle soup is good and not even that difficult but its definitely not going to be as easy as opening a can..but it is an option.

The closest thing to chicken noodle soup that I got was actually making it. Aside from that I found nothing.

mstrain Rookie

How do all of you find the time to cook/bake everything? I find I spend every "free" moment looking up recipes, shopping (which now takes 3 times longer and costs 3 times more :o , and then I have to prepare the meal which tends to be very different from what I feed my kids (my daughter has only liked one gluten-free recipe I've made - PB cookies!) I don't mean to complain, but I am trying to cut costs by making most of my own things (I cheated today and made pizza from a pre-made frozen crust) but it just takes so much time. I'm not even working right now, but will be in September and I am in a panic about that! Does the planning/shopping/cooking gluten-free get easier? Does anyone know a good resource for yummy yet easy/quick recipes?

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Shopping gets easier. Are you talking about baking breads? Because soups and stews are easy enough. Just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot and leave it for several hours. If you can find a gluten free boullion or broth at your local health food store, that's solved. I use Chebe bread mixes a lot and they're super easy. I always compare them to Bisquick- not taste wise, but easy preparation. My kids do the mixing and I'm in charge of the oven. As for bread, I just order tons of breads at once from kinnikinnick. It's pricey, yes, yes, yes. But the shipping is excellent and I don't think about bread again for a month or more. It's worth the convenience to pay a little extra. You could make the breads last longer by making half sandwiches for lunch and supplimenting with a lg salad, yogurts, cheese sticks, fruit/peanut butter, etc. Make the bread last a long time. I've always said I'm not a cook and I mean it. I don't do much cooking. It's time consuming and a skill I'm not into learning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Angel Food Cake... The Gluten Free Pantry has a mix for that it is relatively easy and delicious... I made it for several church functions and poured Strawberry preserves over the top!!! It went super fast!

As far as cutting costs, I try to limit the amount of specialty gluten free items that I buy. I mainly buy Tinkyada pastas and Kinnikinick bread and other baked goods and Chebe bread mix, but I don't have these items as part of my daily food intake...

I stick with fresh potatoes, bags of rice for my starch... fresh fruits and veggies, I buy meat on sale and freeze it... (but I stick with antibiotic free, hormone free, additive free meats)... I bake or cook only once or twice a week and make large batches and freeze individual portions to reheat easily.

I invested in a large drop in freezer and this helps tremendously in cutting costs...

I try to do my specialty shopping when things are on sale, if that's not possible I limit myself to just a few things at a time

lucky28 Explorer
How do all of you find the time to cook/bake everything?   Does the planning/shopping/cooking gluten-free get easier?  Does anyone know a good resource for yummy yet easy/quick recipes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have alot of time or money either. But it does get easier. My son is grown and out of the house so I don't know if my shortcuts will work for you but I usually take time out one afternoon or evening and do most of my cooking for the week.

I usually make a batch of brown rice

-I follow the recipe for making it but I use the crockpot, put it on high for about an hour, then to low until it is done-usually an hour or 2(mines cooking right now). I use this alot, for stirfrys during the week, to make "cheesy rice" and this sounds weird :blink: but sometimes I mix it with lactaid milk, a little sugar and baby rice cereal to make "ricemeal" (like oatmeal)-it actually tastes great! almost like a warm rice pudding for breakfast! If you can find the real, dark brown rice, I like to add just a little to a batch of regular brown rice- it gives it a nice nutty flavor and by just adding a little(1/4 cup) you can it stretch out to save $$.

I use a large sheet pan and bake off meats

- a couple boneless chix breasts, w/different seasoning-gluten-free bbq, garlic, etc

- a couple pieces of fish

-a roast etc, etc, etc.

Then I can make stirfry with the meat or chix and rice-just add veggies, you can find affordable gluten-free soysauce at Walmart-(check the labels)

for lunch

I can use the meat on salads

I also buy gluten-free rice crackers-cheap and good and you can find them in most grocery stores, I use these with pb&j, cheddar cheese(kraft), tuna salad(hellmann's mayo is gluten-free).

I also buy corn tortillas-they are real cheap- and slice up some of my cooked off meat with some tom,let and mayo for lunches.

I know it's frustrating to begin with but it will get easier and you will find a "groove" B) that works for you.

Good Luck ;)

tarnalberry Community Regular
How do all of you find the time to cook/bake everything?  I find I spend every "free" moment looking up recipes, shopping (which now takes 3 times longer and costs 3 times more  :o , and then I have to prepare the meal which tends to be very different from what I feed my kids (my daughter has only liked one gluten-free recipe I've made - PB cookies!)  I don't mean to complain, but I am trying to cut costs by making most of my own things (I cheated today and made pizza from a pre-made frozen crust) but it just takes so much time.  I'm not even working right now, but will be in September and I am in a panic about that!  Does the planning/shopping/cooking gluten-free get easier?  Does anyone know a good resource for yummy yet easy/quick recipes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do the vast majority of my cooking from scratch, and the key for me is to neither use "recipes" (rather, have an idea of what you're going to put into something in your head), and to focus on items that are fast and/or easy to make. Chili needn't have any particular recipe that you have to look up or refer to after the first time you make it, and it takes no more attention than browning the meat and tossing in the cans of stuff, for instance.

What types of things are you making right now?

Kelly Langenfeld Newbie

Some more products from P&G

--Kelly :)

I'm happy additional concerns about Gluten being in P&G products.  We've already

addressed your concerns about our Beauty Care products and Crest products.

You'll be happy to know, the following products are gluten free: Prilosec OTC,

Crest, Glide, Metamucil powder and capsules, Folgers, Millstone, Pampers, Luvs,

and all Fabric and Home Care products.

Also, most Pringles versions contain gluten.  "Wheat" is called out on the label

in the ingredient listing.  Currently, a couple Fat Free Pringles are gluten

free:  Original and Sour Cream & Onion.  Please always refer to the label's

ingredient listing for the most up-to-date information.  Metamucil Wafers

contain gluten because of the wheat flour in them.

Since we have so many products and versions, and you use one that I haven't

mentioned, please feel free to contact us back.  I hope this information is

helpful!

Jennifer

P&G Team

mstrain Rookie
What types of things are you making right now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think my difficulties are due to the fact that I am the only celiac in the house and I have three young children. I've been trying to just make one meal for all of us for dinner and I've tried lasagna, pizza and desserts. Most nights it's not a problem - fresh veggies with chicken, fish or steak. After my first disasterous pizza crust, I told my family to go ahead and order a pie from the local pizza shop and I made a pizza for myself from a frozen crust. I am also very anxious about when I go back to work - breakfasts and lunches were just grab and go - nothing to really think about. I appreciated the info about Thai Kitchen - I picked up some of those this weekend. Any other quick and convenient breakfast and lunch food ideas are greatly appreciated! I also liked the idea of making batches of rice ahead of time (thanks Melissa!) Any other "plan-ahead" ideas?

Guest nini

If you have a microwave at work, you can put any leftovers you may have in single serve containers and freeze them, then just toss them in a bag and then microwave at lunch time.

If not, you could get a lunchbox with a thermos and prepare hot lunches in the morning like packing a school lunch for a kid.

I carry a lot of Larabars and Glutino Cereal Bars in my purse, Fresh fruit is always good for a grab and go... keep bananas on hand, apples, peaches, plums, anything that you can just wash and go!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Also, most Pringles versions contain gluten.  "Wheat" is called out on the label

in the ingredient listing.  Currently, a couple Fat Free Pringles are gluten

free:  Original and Sour Cream & Onion. 

If you like Pringles but are bummed you can't have most of them try Lay's Staxx. They are all gluten free and made on a dedicated line. They are just like the Pringles.

Guest zipy

I've been doing a lot of rice/meat/veggie dinners too. Then any leftovers I just throw in a freezer container to take to work/school. I dedicated one Sat. afternoon to do all my cooking and now I have a freezer full of gluten-free bread/brownies/cookies/granola bars/muffins that I can just reach in and grab. I'm hoping this will last me about 1.5 mos.

Good luck! Great thread, I'm bookmarking it with all of these ideas!

Erin

jenvan Collaborator

Alexia has great products, fries and mashed potatoes that are frozen. They are gluten-free. You can view here: Open Original Shared Link Marsh, Meijer, Wild Oats sell them.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I think my difficulties are due to the fact that I am the only celiac in the house and I have three young children.  I've been trying to just make one meal for all of us for dinner and I've tried lasagna, pizza and desserts.  Most nights it's not a problem - fresh veggies with chicken, fish or steak.  After my first disasterous pizza crust, I told my family to go ahead and order a pie from the local pizza shop and I made a pizza for myself from a frozen crust.  I am also very anxious about when I go back to work - breakfasts and lunches were just grab and go - nothing to really think about.  I appreciated the info about Thai Kitchen - I picked up some of those this weekend.  Any other quick and convenient breakfast and lunch food ideas are greatly appreciated!  I also liked the idea of making batches of rice ahead of time (thanks Melissa!)  Any other "plan-ahead" ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lasagna shouldn't be a problem - just use the Tinkyada lasagna noodles and everything else that goes into lasagna is normally gluten-free anyway (well, you'd have to check the sausage if you're using sausage, of course). But the idea of veggies w/ meat is a nice easy way to go because the entirety of that meal is gluten-free. You could add rice or another gluten-free grain (quinoa and millet are my preferences as sides) if you wanted.

I also pack leftovers for lunch, and do larger batches of food that can work as leftovers for dinner or lunch. Some of what I make in large quantities: stir-fries (can even work for lunch cold, without reheating), chicken-rice soup, chili, beef stew, lentils w/ sausage, vegetable soup w/ shrimp, baked chicken'n'vegetables, pumpkin risotto, pasta sauce served over rice or veggies, and salads.

JLK Rookie

While I don't have three kids at home, I do have a gluten-eating husband. He makes it easier on me by usually eating and cooking gluten-free meals we can share--his snack hardly ever make my mouth water anymore!

I too make large batches of rice and the gluten-free pastas, cook meat ahead of time to have at the ready--never goes bad. Most of what I eat has to be made at home since I follow Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Diet as well as gluten free. I also have additional food allergies that I am still figuring out, like milk products, and eggs i think......

That being said, I buy Imagins soups, all gluten-free except the creamy chicken flavor. Boar's Head deli products are a life saver-- all of tyheir products are gluten-free except Dutch LOaf, Pickle + Pepper Loaf, Hickory Smoked Gruyere Cheese and La Rosa D'Oro Stuffed Cherry Peppers. This leaves a long list of products that are all OK for people on gluten-free diets (and alot of them are OK for me too!). And alot of their products are certified by the Feingold Assoc meaning they don't have synthetic additives which have been linked to behavior, learning and health problems. These products are, however, not cheap.

www.Imaginefoods.com and www.Boarshead.com

I also make batches of dried fruit--so simple, and jerky is great to have around all the time. Bought a food dehydrator at WalMart for about $15.... And my jerky is so flavorful, the store bought soy-laden stuff doesn't come close!

Judi

Archived