#16 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

@ rosetapper23...
Is it really true that you can get cancer from having low iron stores for over 2 years??? That's very worrying, I was diagnosed (finally after many years) with celiac and a ferritin level of 2.4. I'm in supplements now, it's going up very slowly but this is worrying as I have always been on the low side for ferritin due to being vegetarian.
How high are these cancer/low ferritin risks, do you know?? :(
Ps my hair seems worse after taking iron for some reason, it's so so thin, I can't even look in the mirror... And find it hard to touch it...

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 acavazos2

acavazos2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

In the last 2 years I've lost about 80% of my hair. No bald patches but thinning terribly and breakage everywhere. I can't wear it down, I fear using an elastic, I only air dry it, I use hot oil treatments and all kinds of leave in conditioners. I was sent to a dermatologist who said that since I don't have bald patches there's nothing she can do for me. My doctor did blood work and it turns out my iron level is at 10. I guess it should be at 40. Anyway, I took supplements for 3 months but my iron only went down...that eventually led to my Celiac Disease diagnosis (amoungst other symptoms). My question is....did anyone else have hair loss issues? If so - did it ever fully grow back??? I'm praying the answer is "yes". Please also let me know how long it took to grow back.

Thanks in advance...

I have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out what is wrong with me because my hair has significantly thinned in the last 6-7 years and I'm only 29. I have also spent countless hours researching why. I found out I was allergic to gluten amongst many other things. I have decided to get tested for celiac's, even though I don't want to undergo a colonoscopy. I am now convinced that gluten is the culprit of my hair loss. My question to you is, did your hair grown back once you became gluten free, about how long did it take and did any of those suggestions work for you? Please HELP!!

#18 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

I have spent a lifetime growing (and regrowing) back my hair.  Seems like anything will make  it fall out, including gluten.  But also antibiotics, and anti-rheumatoid drugs like methotrexate,  and now anti-coagulants.  Seems like everything that is anti- something is also anti-hair :lol:   Forrtunately, so far, it always does eventually grow back in, or I would be bald  :wacko:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out what is wrong with me because my hair has significantly thinned in the last 6-7 years and I'm only 29. I have also spent countless hours researching why. I found out I was allergic to gluten amongst many other things. I have decided to get tested for celiac's, even though I don't want to undergo a colonoscopy. I am now convinced that gluten is the culprit of my hair loss. My question to you is, did your hair grown back once you became gluten free, about how long did it take and did any of those suggestions work for you? Please HELP!!

Testing for celiac is a blood panel, then an endoscopy with biopsy (not a colonoscopy) if that changes your mind at all. (technically, there is no

gluten allergy--do you mean you are allergic to wheat?)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

I have trouble absorbing my supplements.  I chew tablets and open capsules now!  Maybe you could do this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: