5 replies to this topic

#1 Asharia

Asharia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

I eat a lot of beans and lentils, and am starting to think CC might be the source of some of my relapse - my GI doctor thinks I am either super sensitive or refractory.

Are there any certified gluten-free canned bean brands that are tested? Or any dried beans (black and pinto) or lentils that are certified? Every bag of beans I pick up at the supermarket says "may contain wheat".

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

I know that some sensitive celiacs who can tolerate foods that are around 5 ppm or so have done all right with, of all things, the Super Value brand dried pinto, navy, and lima beans. This is the Albertson's generic brand. I think some did okay with Arrowhead Mills Green Lentils, too.

These definitely depend on your sensitivity level, though. Foods at 5 ppm concentration make me ill, so I'm still looking for safe beans. :-/

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm still looking for safe beans too. They could be the source of your problem, especially if your doctor thinks that you might be super sensitive. One thing that you could try is sorting them carefully. I have found wheat particles in beans before. Then wash carefully before eating. If that improves things, I think you found the source of your problems. If they don't completely clear up, washing might not be enough for you. I find with me that washing helps, but it is necessary for me to grow my own to be able to eat them with absolutely no reaction.

#4 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I find with me that washing helps, but it is necessary for me to grow my own to be able to eat them with absolutely no reaction.

I just tried that this year! Although I'm such a crappy farmer...I think out of y entire crop, I got maybe a bowlful of beans, and that was it, LOL.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm still working on it too - growing my own.

#6 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I actually just got a SUPER detailed list in response to an question to Goya on their dried beans and lentil products, and they actually list out "gluten-free", "contains wheat" and "cross-contamination" categories. Sadly, their lentils are in the cross-contamination category, but a lot of their other beans are safe. (If there was an easy way to post an Excel spreadsheet here, I'd do it...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: