This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nail Problems

sariesue

sariesue Explorer

Does anybody else have problems with their fingernails? In addition to the millions of ridges on my nails they are extremely flexiable. To the point where I can bend them easily without any pain. Am I the only one? Does anyone know of any solutions? I've tried nail strengtheners but they don't help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfcolorado Newbie

Mine used to be like that or they'd easily break. I just got my 3rd Shellac manicure and it's amazing. It stays on for 2-3 weeks and my nails are strong and getting long. I find myself frequently touching them because I can't believe they are so strong and won't break.

Multivitamins also seem to help.

jswog Contributor

Mine used to be like that or they'd easily break. I just got my 3rd Shellac manicure and it's amazing. It stays on for 2-3 weeks and my nails are strong and getting long. I find myself frequently touching them because I can't believe they are so strong and won't break.

Multivitamins also seem to help.

I, too, just got my second shellac done, but unfortunately mine only lasted about a week and a half before it started peeling off. I've always had that problem: polish of any kind doesn't hold on my nails. It peels off in sheets.

peeptoad Apprentice

My fingernails used to peel/break and they were pretty flexible as well. I started taking biotin 5mg/day and it has helped a lot.

sariesue Explorer

I, too, just got my second shellac done, but unfortunately mine only lasted about a week and a half before it started peeling off. I've always had that problem: polish of any kind doesn't hold on my nails. It peels off in sheets.

Do you know if the shellac is like the UV color gel nail polish? I tried the UV gel polish last year and it lasted almost a week. Except it damaged my nails when it came off. So I don't want to do that again.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I take biotin drops which work great for nails and hair and are supposed to help protects bones from fractures.

jswog Contributor

Do you know if the shellac is like the UV color gel nail polish? I tried the UV gel polish last year and it lasted almost a week. Except it damaged my nails when it came off. So I don't want to do that again.

I'm not familier with UV color gel nail polish, so I am not sure. But I do know that I was told that the shellac does NOT damage natural nails and that it has not damaged mine. If anything, it has done just the opposite for me! I've had acrilic nails for quite some time and for the first time (since I've gone gluten free) have I even been able to grow my natural nails at all. Part of it has been that I've had to VERY consciously NOT put my fingers in my mouth (nail biter) for fear of ingesting hidden gluten on my hands/under my nails, part is that I've had less urge to bite my nails (seriously!), and part is that I honestly think my nails are much stronger (I've seen it with my toe nails which I obviously haven't been biting...lol).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sariesue Explorer

I'm not familier with UV color gel nail polish, so I am not sure. But I do know that I was told that the shellac does NOT damage natural nails and that it has not damaged mine. If anything, it has done just the opposite for me! I've had acrilic nails for quite some time and for the first time (since I've gone gluten free) have I even been able to grow my natural nails at all. Part of it has been that I've had to VERY consciously NOT put my fingers in my mouth (nail biter) for fear of ingesting hidden gluten on my hands/under my nails, part is that I've had less urge to bite my nails (seriously!), and part is that I honestly think my nails are much stronger (I've seen it with my toe nails which I obviously haven't been biting...lol).

I decided to try the shellac manicure. My nails see a little stronger. We'll have to see if it will last at work. I'm a server so chipped nail polish isn't good.

jswog Contributor

I decided to try the shellac manicure. My nails see a little stronger. We'll have to see if it will last at work. I'm a server so chipped nail polish isn't good.

I, too, am a server and it doesn't seem to chip. Mine will peel off (but did the same with polish), but not chip. Good luck with it!

Familytradition Rookie

Interesting thread. I just keep finding more and more links to the crazy chain of celiac/gluten intolerance. :( I have NEVER been able to grow nails. EVER. I have the ugliest, shortest (but I do bite them some - anxiety) nails of all time. I have the ridges and all. :( You know how you hear about prenatal vitamins and/or being pregnant causing nails to grow? I have 3 wonderful little guys and took some of the best prenatal vitamins available and NO GROWTH FOR ME. :( I guess it is all relative. Do any of you have the same issue with hair growth? My hair grows slow too and has been falling out for a year now.

DonnaMM Explorer

I have the same problem! It drives me nuts my nails peel and won't grow, it's like my nails are paper. I take a hair skin and nails vitamin daily as well as a B complex but they do not seem to help. If you are really strict with your diet then I highly recommend you ask your PCP to check your TSH and freeT4 which will assess your thyroid function and check for hypothyroidism, these are simple blood tests. This is the reason my nails peel so much and it appears time to up my medication although my hypothyroidism is not due to celiac, it is due to radiation from cancer I had when I was younger

sariesue Explorer

I have the same problem! It drives me nuts my nails peel and won't grow, it's like my nails are paper. I take a hair skin and nails vitamin daily as well as a B complex but they do not seem to help. If you are really strict with your diet then I highly recommend you ask your PCP to check your TSH and freeT4 which will assess your thyroid function and check for hypothyroidism, these are simple blood tests. This is the reason my nails peel so much and it appears time to up my medication although my hypothyroidism is not due to celiac, it is due to radiation from cancer I had when I was younger

My thyroid levels were normal 2 months ago after being high for 6 months.

DonnaMM Explorer

I am not sure what you mean by high but remember high TSH means hypothyroidism while a low TSH means hyperthyroidism

sariesue Explorer

I am not sure what you mean by high but remember high TSH means hypothyroidism while a low TSH means hyperthyroidism

I had hyperthyroidism for a while as a result of a medication I was on. They did a thyroid reuptake exam and it was like .01 too high.

Familytradition Rookie

I actually just had (a few months ago) my thyroid checked and it was all normal. :)

DeniseG Newbie

My shellac manicure has been lasting 3 - 4 weeks. Since it starts to peel by the cuticle after approximately two weeks, I've been getting a french shellac manicure. My nails looks great and the peeling is not noticeable.

jswog Contributor

My shellac manicure has been lasting 3 - 4 weeks. Since it starts to peel by the cuticle after approximately two weeks, I've been getting a french shellac manicure. My nails looks great and the peeling is not noticeable.

Lucky you! I've never been able to get my manicures to last that long. On a side note, I think I'm going to actually have to trim my nails for like the first time EVER very soon...

sariesue Explorer

I managed to get 5 days before it chipped, and now I only have one little chip. It seems to be lasting very well.

Archived