8 replies to this topic

#1 kimis

kimis

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

Are we still avoiding hydrolyzed wheat protein in our shampoos? I read they are safe for celiacs and I read they are unsafe for celiacs.... What's the final word?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Are we still avoiding hydrolyzed wheat protein in our shampoos? I read they are safe for celiacs and I read they are unsafe for celiacs.... What's the final word?

Who knows? It's definitely bad for DH but in general why choose a shampoo with hydrolyzed wheat when there are so many without???

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

That is definitely something I avoid. Enough scalp problems already without taking that risk.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

I avoid it. People really do ingest shampoo standing up in the shower. Some people take the baking soda test. Add baking soda to your shampoo. If you end up tasting the baking soda during the shower, then you know a small amount does get into your mouth for you to ingest.
Michigan

#5 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

well I guess that settles it. I was going through some cabinets last week and I found a few bottles of my old shampoo that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein and I just can't get rid of them. I love that stuff and it was expensive too. Oh well :(

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

well I guess that settles it. I was going through some cabinets last week and I found a few bottles of my old shampoo that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein and I just can't get rid of them. I love that stuff and it was expensive too. Oh well :(

If you have a food pantry near by they might gladly take them even if there is a little bit out of the bottle. The pantry I volunteer at will take big bottles and break them down into smaller ones for smaller families. Your local pantry might do the same and toiletries are needed just as much a food is by many folks.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

I avoid it. People really do ingest shampoo standing up in the shower. Some people take the baking soda test. Add baking soda to your shampoo. If you end up tasting the baking soda during the shower, then you know a small amount does get into your mouth for you to ingest.

I would imagine that if you eat your shampoo in the shower, it would be alarmingly apparent. Shampoo has a much stronger taste than baking soda.
Not everyone eats their products and using gluten-free shampoo is a choice issue or a must if you have topical allergies. If anyone is uncomfortable with using non-gluten-free topical products, then they should stick with gluten-free products as they will end up ingesting it from trying to be too careful.

#8 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Mothers of very young Celiacs should also use gluten free hygeine products. Cross contamination from skin lotions and such, is too much of a risk.
Michigan

#9 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Mothers of very young Celiacs should also use gluten free hygeine products. Cross contamination from skin lotions and such, is too much of a risk.

Not just mothers. If you wash your hands with gluten-containing soap before making your meal, you have little chance of eating gluten-free. It depends on your level of sensitivity if you will react to such trace amounts of gluten or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: