5 replies to this topic

#1 Jen Z

Jen Z

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Would have been nice if my doctor sent me to a dietician that had a background in celiac disease. Not sure how this happened but I think that on day 4 as a celiac, I may be more informed as to appropriate food options than he was as a clinician with years of experience in the dietary field. Cross contamination- no worries that's only for the super sensitive... and other such interesting statements. Thank goodness for the internet ;). I went to Trader Joe's this morning and bought a whole bag full of gluten-free foods. woohoo. Lunch sucked and is now in the trash.
Hoping dinner goes better :)
raynauds 6/85
GERD 12/06
celiac 10/11
sjogrens 12/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Would have been nice if my doctor sent me to a dietician that had a background in celiac disease. Not sure how this happened but I think that on day 4 as a celiac, I may be more informed as to appropriate food options than he was as a clinician with years of experience in the dietary field. Cross contamination- no worries that's only for the super sensitive... and other such interesting statements. Thank goodness for the internet ;). I went to Trader Joe's this morning and bought a whole bag full of gluten-free foods. woohoo. Lunch sucked and is now in the trash.
Hoping dinner goes better :)

Am glad to hear you are beginning your journey on a positive, humorous note. It does help to keep up that amusement!

Just wanted to note that I would be careful of pre-made food from TJ's especially, though elsewhere too. Both my bf and I had to learn the hard way that a lot of TJ's supposedly gluten-free food is not actually completely gluten-free due to cross contamination from stray gluten. The gluten-free yeasted ":Food for LIfe" rice bread made elsewhere is OK but the rest?? Not so. Esp. avoid their waffles. Shared equipment with wheat products does not make it in my book. I would also be careful of Glutino products. For some of us their allowable parts per million of gluten just does not cut it. We both got migraines from the stuff--not for as long as some things, but very unpleasant nevertheless...

Its far better overall to cook things from scratch, whether your supplies are bought at TJ's, Whole Foods or Food Maxx....

It is a journey, complete with its many ups and downs. You have come to a good place to share, vent and learn. Welcome!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Yes, it's best in the beginning to eat naturally. Meat, fish, potatoes, rice, fresh veggies and fruit. It will help you heal better.

In order to appreciate gluten free fast foods, you need to forget what the real ones taste like. :P There is some good food out there, fear not!

It's an adjustment, but you'll get through it. Read through the "What are you cooking tonight" thread...it might give you some ideas. We are not deprived! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

By the time I got in touch w/ the hospital dietician (about a week after diagnosis) she told me I already knew way more than she did about celiac. That was 10 years ago. One can only hope they're more informed about celiac now!!

I've had some bad experiences w/ Trader Joe's gluten-free stuff... be careful.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#5 Jen Z

Jen Z

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice on TJ foods. I am finding that just about anything in the prepared meals doesn't work for me. I was using them as well as other vegetarian meals over the summer before diagnosis and not able to eat most of them due to the high spice content. I can not have anything with chili pepper at all or my reflux flares horribly. Chili pepper is in almost as many foods as gluten it seems some days ;)

It really comes down to having to cook for myself. To quote my dear friend Eeyore- 'oh bother.'

Today I will cook with my beautiful new gluten-free pasta made with rice flour. If that doesn't cut it, I'll move on to the quinoa flour pasta. I have plan B ready :)
raynauds 6/85
GERD 12/06
celiac 10/11
sjogrens 12/11

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Yes, be careful at TJ's. So far the only luck I've had are the creme brle cups in chocolate, and plain nuts, plain dry fruit and I managed to get by on their salt-free chips but now that I can have salt I buy other brands not on shared lines.

I think I'm ok with their hash brown patties.

Ok with their applewood bacon, sugar, and naturally gluten-free products. Hot dogs are great.

Have had TERRIBLE luck with their chocolate covered nuts or fruit even if it is made in a facility that does NOT manufacture wheat. They have gone to saying "contains no gluten ingredients" and telling what facility they are made on, which helps me make decisions there.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: