17 replies to this topic

#1 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

Hello lovely people. I think I am having a problem with rice or/ rice based flours. When I eat a pretty good amount of either, it seems that I have trouble sleeping, tossing and turning and my mind races all night. My mind tends to get busy at times, but this was much worse.
I had a food sensitivity test done several months ago and rice was very high, but my doctor thought it was just because I ate it frequently. So many of the gluten free foods are rice based it's hard to avoid. I do not know if I agree with that because there were other foods that tested high and some I never ate at all. So why would that pertain to rice and not the other foods?
Does anyone else react this way to rice, and if so, is it whole rice or the rice flours??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:20 AM

what is this food sensitivity test you speak of, and how/where did you get it done? all I've heard of is allergy testing which is different.

and yes, people here have had trouble with rice. some people cannot eat any grains at all.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#3 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

I have a health practioner who ordered it for me. It's a blood test by Genova Diagnostics. I got the blood draw at a local lab. It tests IgG levels, as well as total IgE. So it is looking for sensitivites, not really allergies. There's a difference in the antibodies affected. Pretty interesting test.

#4 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

I want this test!! but I can't afford it till next year...
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

22 yrs old

#5 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

I've had a similar test and rice and corn was deemed OK for me. But I do notice that if I eat those everyday for a few days I will feel lethargic. I think my system does better with little or no grains. But since I do have a tolerance for them, I include them for variety, just not everyday, and never two meals in a row.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#6 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

Be careful, IgG testing can be very unreliable, as is most food intolerance testing generally. I.e. take one test get one set of results, take the same test the following day and get different results. IgG tends to produce high results in foods which you eat regularly so would tend to agree with your doc, even though I wish it weren't true, would have made my path a lot easier to tread. I spent a stupid amount on a York test which didn't really do anything for me in terms of resolution of symptoms.

However your symptoms (mind racing at night and inability to sleep, I had years and years of this) seem to point towards raised cortisol levels indicating a reaction to something, and plenty of people have issues with rice I'm sure. Best way is an exclusion diet (sorry I wish there was an easier way).

One thing to watch out for is my reaction to eating gluten lasts, on average, 2 weeks so I generally am very sensitive to most things during these two weeks, rice isn't too bad but it's still a bit funny on the stomach however I've got worse reactions with a lot of other things such as corn, soy and dairy that I have to eat it.

If you determine that you are definitely struggling with rice how about other gluten free grains, as I say I struggle with corn (it's not a gluten reaction but enough to make me avoid) but this might be ok for you. If so there are tons of products with corn in them, pretty much all gluten-free breads etc certainly in the UK. Otherwise if you'd prefer something more savoury you could try tapioca, millet, buckwheat etc etc, do a quick google to find gluten-free alternatives.
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#7 Jen Z

Jen Z

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Interesting. I have noticed that when I eat a bowl of plain white rice with non cc'd butter and sea salt, I end up with a mild stomach ache within an hour. Nothing more but enough that I am suspicious. Scary to have a rice issue since it seems to be the basis of all non gluten-free snacky like foods.
raynauds 6/85
GERD 12/06
celiac 10/11
sjogrens 12/11

#8 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

and you're sure it's not the butter?
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

22 yrs old

#9 Jen Z

Jen Z

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

No- I a sure of nothing these days. LOL However, the butter is clean.
raynauds 6/85
GERD 12/06
celiac 10/11
sjogrens 12/11

#10 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

since a lot of us react to casein, that's what I thought it might be. Eating ice cream makes me feel drunk and gives me muscle aches later.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

22 yrs old

#11 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

I think I'm reacting to rice flour, but not rice itself. For me it's more like an anaphylactic reaction. My eyes start swelling up. I posted this in another section of the boards, but I had a reaction to Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. It happened twice. But I don't seem to have a problem with regular rice. I don't know why the flour would be different than the regular rice, but it seems to be for me.

The not sleeping at night seems to come from the gluten withdrawal for me. When I was still eating gluten, I slept like a champ. Now that I'm not, it's hard for me to go to sleep and stay asleep. I guess that was one good thing about eating the gluten poison. <_<

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#12 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

Be careful, IgG testing can be very unreliable, as is most food intolerance testing generally. I.e. take one test get one set of results, take the same test the following day and get different results. IgG tends to produce high results in foods which you eat regularly so would tend to agree with your doc, even though I wish it weren't true, would have made my path a lot easier to tread. I spent a stupid amount on a York test which didn't really do anything for me in terms of resolution of symptoms.

However your symptoms (mind racing at night and inability to sleep, I had years and years of this) seem to point towards raised cortisol levels indicating a reaction to something, and plenty of people have issues with rice I'm sure. Best way is an exclusion diet (sorry I wish there was an easier way).

One thing to watch out for is my reaction to eating gluten lasts, on average, 2 weeks so I generally am very sensitive to most things during these two weeks, rice isn't too bad but it's still a bit funny on the stomach however I've got worse reactions with a lot of other things such as corn, soy and dairy that I have to eat it.

If you determine that you are definitely struggling with rice how about other gluten free grains, as I say I struggle with corn (it's not a gluten reaction but enough to make me avoid) but this might be ok for you. If so there are tons of products with corn in them, pretty much all gluten-free breads etc certainly in the UK. Otherwise if you'd prefer something more savoury you could try tapioca, millet, buckwheat etc etc, do a quick google to find gluten-free alternatives.

Thank you for the great info. The IgG test is confusing, because as I stated there were high levels of antibodies for foods I hardly ever eat, so what does that mean? :blink: I agree with the cortisol levels too since I have been sleeping very well until the overabundance of rice. I guess I just need to cut it out for a while! <_<

#13 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Sorry I don't think I was totally clear there glutout, the foods you regularly eat influence the test and the test is not therefore completely defined by the foods you regularly eat. So you having foods highlighted that you do not regularly eat is normal for these tests, and certainly in my experience, however a large proportion of the foods identified in mine were those I was at the time eating large amounts of.

Interestingly there is no correlation between IgG and allergies (I know it is intolerances and not allergies being tested but surely your body would react in a similar fashion, albeit more dramatically to allergies). There is plenty online about the fallibility of intolerance testing, I like you did not want to believe it at first but everyone who told me it was a waste of money/time was right. And the worst thing is you can't question it - it is what it is to the company's who offer these tests.

Wish I was more upbeat but I'm afraid it comes down to painstakingly going through food groups to try and weed out the baddies in your personal circumstances.

Again I would re-iterate that I react to most of the main foods you would expect to react to (soy, dairy etc) in the two weeks after being gluttened. After that I can eat more of these things, albeit I don't for the large part, psychological block, call it whatever.

The fact that you say you slept well before eating the rice is very encouraging, it took me ages to get to the point where I'd weeded out the offending food groups enough so that I had a good nights sleep.
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#14 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have insulin resistance and rice is just too starchy for me. A tiny portion (like, a teaspoon but who can stop at that?) is ok but any more and I get a bit high on the sugar rush and then crash. Could it be something like that?

#15 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

Maybe so...I, too have insulin resistance, and never even thought of that! Need to watch my starches!!! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: