17 replies to this topic

#16 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Do you have any problems with corn? If so, something else to consider is that if it's white rice or enriched rice, it will usually have corn contamination. Many white rices use cornstarch in the process of getting it polished and white. Most vitamin enrichment uses corn-based ingredients to deliver the vitamin, as well.

Something that might be helpful if you're avoiding rice is a cookbook "Gluten-Free without Rice" by Nicolette Dumke. I'll be honest, it's not a great bunch of recipes, and it's a very small book. But it has multiple recipes for the each type of food (like crackers) just all with different flour bases. These are just not very exciting, is all. So...more a nice book to give you a basic recipe for you to build off of, if that makes sense?

It was very useful when I needed it, though! :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

I think corn is the only thing I do not react to! :D

#18 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Do you have any problems with corn? If so, something else to consider is that if it's white rice or enriched rice, it will usually have corn contamination. Many white rices use cornstarch in the process of getting it polished and white. Most vitamin enrichment uses corn-based ingredients to deliver the vitamin, as well.

Very interesting, I knew straight away with the vitamin tabs I used to take that it had something in them that I reacted to (after investigation found out that they are made from corn, Vit C especially) but I never knew about the rice and that probably explains why although it's by far the best staple food I have, I always in the back of my mind thought I had a bit of a reaction when eating. I guess in the back of my mind I was a bit blinkered and thought 'I have to avoid pretty much every other food, surely not....'

Is there anything corn is not in?!?!?!!? Argh, sorry for the post highjack glutout but be very glad you are not like me and can eat corn, what a nightmare!!
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: