This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Chewing Gum?

alucard4545

alucard4545 Explorer

So Recently I emailed the company Wrigley which makes a lot of the gum products we're familiar with (Double Mint, Winter Fresh, Juicy Fruit, etc) and I asked which of their products are free of gluten. They basically gave me a list of what ISN'T gluten free, and that list is very small, everything else is fine to eat :lol: Here's the response:

Thank you for writing to inquire about ingredients used in Wrigley products.

All U.S. Wrigley products are labeled within strict compliance of applicable laws and FDA regulations, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004. Any materials identified as allergens within this Act (milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans) are labeled within the ingredient line.

The FDA has issued a proposed rule on gluten-free labeling, allowing food products containing less than 20 ppm of gluten (sourced from wheat, rye, barley, oats or cross-bred hybrids), to be considered gluten-free. [Federal Register: January 23, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 14)]

All U.S. Wrigley chewing gums and confection products have been assessed to be gluten-free with the exception of the products listed below, which contain ingredient(s) derived from wheat or are made on shared equipment that also processes products with wheat and may contain trace amounts of gluten.

Accordingly, these products are labeled as containing wheat-derived ingredients:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Schatz Apprentice

I read on the Trident site that the gum is gluten-free

heatherjane Contributor

Thanks for sharing the info!

alucard4545 Explorer

I read on the Trident site that the gum is gluten-free

Interesting, I will check that out.

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

Just to add: I found a brand of gum at my local Coles' bookstore that is labelled dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, and aspertame-free. (Aspertame-free! So awesome!) It's called "Pur" and has a lone overtop of the u - I don't know how to show that on here, sorry. Anyway it's pretty tasty, and it was nice to lose the aspertame. Check it out!

alucard4545 Explorer

Just to add: I found a brand of gum at my local Coles' bookstore that is labelled dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, and aspertame-free. (Aspertame-free! So awesome!) It's called "Pur" and has a lone overtop of the u - I don't know how to show that on here, sorry. Anyway it's pretty tasty, and it was nice to lose the aspertame. Check it out!

Cool I'll Keep my eye open. Also I just found this gum called Glee Gum, it says gluten free on the back of the package. Awesome! Open Original Shared Link

alucard4545 Explorer

Cool I'll Keep my eye open. Also I just found this gum called Glee Gum, it says gluten free on the back of the package. Awesome! Open Original Shared Link

Actually I just noticed one of the ingredients on the Glee Gum is brown rice syrup. usually this is made through a process that includes barley so I'm gonna call them to make sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Actually I just noticed one of the ingredients on the Glee Gum is brown rice syrup. usually this is made through a process that includes barley so I'm gonna call them to make sure.

Please provide your source for this claim about barley in rice syrup.

alucard4545 Explorer

Please provide your source for this claim about barley in rice syrup.

Here's one source that explains brown rice syrup: Open Original Shared Link

I will contact Glee Gum soon to find out.

psawyer Proficient

Here's one source that explains brown rice syrup: Open Original Shared Link

I looked at the linked page. I do not find it credible.

"Brown rice syrup is a natural sweetener produced from fermented cooked rice..."

Okay, so it is "cooked..."

But then, the question "Is it raw?" comes up:

"Yes, pure brown rice syrup is raw" -- I guess somehow it got uncooked?

And yet:

"No, because sometimes commercial brown rice syrup is produced by using GM enzymes." -- They can't tell the difference between raw and GM, clearly.

This obvious error causes me to question the validity of all the information on the site.

IrishHeart Veteran

I found this Q and A article in Gluten Free Living Magazine when I was first looking at things like brown rice syrup for use in baking.

Maybe it will help clarify?

"Q. Is brown rice syrup gluten free?

A. Brown rice syrup is a sweetener made by fermenting brown rice with

enzymes to disintegrate the starch content,according to manufacturer AG

Commodities Inc. Then the fermented liquid is strained and cooked until it

becomes syrup. The enzymes are the key to whether the brown rice syrup is gluten free. Barley enzymes, which are often used, make brown rice syrup that is not gluten free. However, if fungal enzymes are used, then the brown rice syrup is gluten free.

Several brands are labeled gluten free, including Lundberg Farms’ Sweet

Dream, Nature’s Flavors’ organic brown rice syrup and Suzanne’s Specialties’ Genmai organic brown rice nectar.

Lundberg Farms purposely switched from a cereal enzyme to a fungal enzyme to make their brown rice syrup gluten free.

You will sometimes see brown rice syrup listed as an ingredient in

processed foods. If it’s used in a product that is labeled gluten free, like Erewhon brown rice cereal or Enjoy Life Foods’ Cocoa Loco snack bars, you can assume it is gluten free.

But if brown rice syrup is used in a mainstream product, it can be harder to tell. Some companies note the use of barley or barley malt in their brown rice syrup, but the allergen labeling law does not require them to. If you see brown rice syrup on a mainstream label, but the source is not listed, the only way to be sure is to check with the food maker."

Since GLEE GUM has labeled the product gluten free, one can assume they have not used barley in the brown rice syrup.

Archived