Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Weak And Fatigued

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Prior to my coeliac diagnosis I ran (usually 10km, up to 25km on weekends) or worked out at the gym almost everyday.

Since going gluten free my diet hasn't changed all that much. The biggest change has been bread - I used to eat 6 pieces a day, now I eat 2 pieces of gluten-free bread every second day.

Since that minor change to my diet, I've struggled through my workouts. I feel so weak and fatigued after 15 minutes or so. It's very frustrating, as I used to run for up to 2.5hrs at a time.

Is it possible that eliminating gluten (even though I never ate a lot of it - mostly just the bread) could cause this?

Ads by Google:

Hi Jenni,

How long have you been gluten-free?

There is an adjustment period and it's different for everyone. Some call it gluten withdrawal. I experienced fatigue and constant hunger for about two or three weeks after going gluten-free. It takes time for our bodies to adjust to the change in diet and it takes time for our bodies to heal.

Have you tried other forms of complex carbs? I eat brown rice pasta. The brand is called Tinkyada (that is my fav), but there are various kinds. I eat rice pasta with lunch on game days. I play competitive ice hockey and soccer.

Good luck! Try to be patient, it takes time :)

Thanks for the reply. I've only been gluten free for 4 days (today is my 5th). I guess I wasnt expecting to get withdrawal symptoms, as I didnt think I ate much gluten beforehand. Maybe there's alot in 6 pieces of bread. I guess I ate little bits in other stuff as well. I must have.

I'll try to be patient..!

Hi Jenni,

Out of curiosity, where are your protein sources coming from? And, how often to you consume protein per day. Let's start there and then I can help you some more.

Hi Gladiator,

Here's an average day:

Breakfast - gluten-free muesli with soy milk OR 2 pieces gluten-free toast with peanut butter and honey

Lunch - Quinoa salad with chickpeas

Dinner - Chicken and veggies/salad (or sometimes fish - I dont eat red meat, just chicken and fish).

Snacks are fruit generally. I have seen a lot of gluten-free snacks, like chip-type things, etc. But have been told to keep it pretty simple to start (diagnosed less than a week ago). I also dont eat nuts, so I'm limited in what I can snack on.

Am I eating enough protein? I dont really know alot about that sort of thing..

I'm really interested in the nutrition and working out too since being diagnosis. Pre-diagnosis I would run out of steam during workouts and after (4months) I think it's a little better. I'm giving it time for my body to heal so I can take in all those needed nutrients. Until then my over all intake is up. Pre workout I eat a chobani yogurt, almonds, a half of a bar for carbs and little caffeine. Sounds like you may be avoiding nuts and dairy so this may not be helpful for you. Good luck! Note, that I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv. I'm just giving you my personal experience. I'm also open to any suggestions from anyone too. Cheers.

Hi Gladiator,

Here's an average day:

Breakfast - gluten-free muesli with soy milk OR 2 pieces gluten-free toast with peanut butter and honey

Lunch - Quinoa salad with chickpeas

Dinner - Chicken and veggies/salad (or sometimes fish - I dont eat red meat, just chicken and fish).

Snacks are fruit generally. I have seen a lot of gluten-free snacks, like chip-type things, etc. But have been told to keep it pretty simple to start (diagnosed less than a week ago). I also dont eat nuts, so I'm limited in what I can snack on.

Am I eating enough protein? I dont really know alot about that sort of thing..

With the exception of your honey at breakfast, I'm not seeing any forms of all natural sugars. If you snack just a few times on the following it will elevate your blood sugar throughout the day and you won't have those "lows" and doldrums:

- Apple with almond butter

- Mango chunks (buy them frozen and let thaw)

- Smoothies with berries (strawberry, blackberry, blueberries)

- Dried fruits

- Pears

Give that a try with your small snacks (in between meals). Remember, you want to stabilize your blood sugar throughout the day... it will keep you from feeling fatigued.

The Gluten Gladiator