arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

First Trip Since Being Diagnosed (Cruise)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MinnesotaCeliac

MinnesotaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Well this will be my first trip since being diagnosed with Celiac (almost 4 months). It was going to be in Europe, but I wasn't ready for that yet (heart yes, mind/body/emotionally no), so off to the Caribbean. We had vouchers for airfare that needed to be used and felt like cruises would be able to accommodate my needs. I've been on cruises before (the wife loves them, me meh, but am finding a new appreciation for them). I've read some of the traveling tips on this forum (thanks everyone)and plan to bring food to get me through the overnight in San Juan and for snacks on board. Who has recent experience on cruise lines and any advice is welcome. What is your likes/dislikes. The cruise is aware of gluten free request for dinning. Royal Caribbean stated they did not have gluten free beer on board and did not confirm if they had cider, so this might be a beverage free cruise (any suggestions?) Any other suggestions/concerns? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sariesue

sariesue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

There should be hard liquor on board. Many people don't react to hard liquor and some isn't made with gluten. I doubt that they would have cider on a cruise to the carribean. Since tropical drinks and beer would be the drinks of choice.

#3 MinnesotaCeliac

MinnesotaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

There should be hard liquor on board. Many people don't react to hard liquor and some isn't made with gluten. I doubt that they would have cider on a cruise to the carribean. Since tropical drinks and beer would be the drinks of choice.

Thanks for the reply sarisue. You are right on, when on vacation in warm climates I would have a beer in my left hand an a piņa colada in the right. Some cruise lines you can preorder a case of gluten free beer. I have no problem just enjoying life without a beverage, but it would be nice to have the option. Cheers.

#4 MinnesotaCeliac

MinnesotaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Staying at the Conrad in san Juan. I have a small fridge and a microwave, so I'm set for warm food. I brought some microwave meals. Next to the ship where I'll meet with the restaurant manager to go over my gluten free needs. So far non stressful. Just enjoying the warmth of the sun. I brought my iPad to check items that I purchased down in PR were gluten free. I'm careful to note where it is manufactured as the websites should be checked from the country the product was made or intended for, so the ingredients match. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: