17 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:39 AM

I am kinda curious how long it takes others to feel the effects when they accidently take in gluten. My doctor wants to do some gluten challenges to confirm the diagnosis, but it seems like the cramping will start a few hours after I eat gluten, but the other symptoms such as severe pain and diarrhea take about two days. Anyone else have this long of a delay?
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

Yes, for me it's usually the next day. Sometimes it takes two. I get depressed and lethargic. If a headache is going to come, it is the first to show up--usually within hours! What's so weird about this "disease" is how different and similiar it is for everybody! :rolleyes:

#3 steffanie

steffanie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:08 AM

I know this varies from person to person. But I may get cramping and severe bloating within 2-4 hours. I don't get diarrhea though, I get severe constipation which I feel for days after. There are sometimes I even throw up, which happens about once every 3 months. For me it can take 3-5 days to feel 100% better (sometimes even as long as a 7 days)

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

Why does the docotor want you to poison yourself? :huh:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

I test negative for the disease but visually I have the disease and respond to the diet so he just wants to make sure that is the problem I can't do this for very longer though. I am dying!
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#6 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

2 weeks of relentless fatigue for me :(
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#7 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

For me the diarreha starts the next day and then I have two weeks of depression, irritabiliity, brain fog, fatigue and apathy.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

I test negative for the disease but visually I have the disease and respond to the diet so he just wants to make sure that is the problem I can't do this for very longer though. I am dying!

If you feel better on the diet, please continue. Only you know your limitations. Unless you want to pursue further testing, don't eat gluten if it makes you sick. You can conclude that you have a gluten intolerance of some level in the spectrum range. No need to satisfied your doctor's confidence or lack of, with your continued illness. Many, many people here are self diagnosed and feel quite comfortable in those shoes. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

I don't react right away. The next day the fatigue, lethargic feelings, brain fog, dizziness and extreme emotional upset start. Then I know it's coming. Usually the day after that the actual pain and stomach upset comes. But I know a girl who says she reacts immediately, ven while she's eating the culprit soni suppose it can be different for everyone.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#10 Sarah B

Sarah B

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Yeah if you feel better on the diet stay on the diet. I had a GI doctor tell me I was crazy for staying on the diet because I had positive blood tests but negative scope (that was done 3 months later). I told my regular doctor, there was no way i was going back to eating gluten because I like being able to think, I do better in school. I've passed a test that I had taken literally 7 times and passed it with flying colors. I can actually run and push passed that wall I couldn't get passed and all my peers could.

Do what makes you feel good. Even if your doctor doesn't agree with you. YOu sometimes need to be your own advocate and tell the doctors what is going to happen.

#11 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

For me it takes three days for symptoms to show. Then another three days before they are better.

#12 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Yeah if you feel better on the diet stay on the diet. I had a GI doctor tell me I was crazy for staying on the diet because I had positive blood tests but negative scope (that was done 3 months later). I told my regular doctor, there was no way i was going back to eating gluten because I like being able to think, I do better in school. I've passed a test that I had taken literally 7 times and passed it with flying colors. I can actually run and push passed that wall I couldn't get passed and all my peers could.

Do what makes you feel good. Even if your doctor doesn't agree with you. YOu sometimes need to be your own advocate and tell the doctors what is going to happen.

Amen to that, docs are so blinkered and full of their own gusto sometimes...no, actually, generally.
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#13 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:59 AM

I usually have a painful reaction within about 30 minutes and the after-effects can last for days.

#14 aussiechick4jc

aussiechick4jc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if someone can give me some input. I've been doing the gluten free thing for two weeks now (after numerous negative tests) and have noticed a hugh difference. I'm wondering how long you have to be on the diet before you notice a reaction if you eat gluten. Also, since being on the diet I've experienced at time extreme heartburn, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Would love any advise or suggestions.

With regards - Karen

#15 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Heartburn, or GERD are something you'll deal with as you heal. It takes time. I know a lot of people feel great right away, but it's also normal to have it take a while before you feel better.
I recommend keeping a log of what you eat, and make a note if you have any symptoms. Sometimes it helps you narrow down things that just aren't agreeing with you right now. Digestive enzymes might help too?
I'm 3.5 months into gluten-free and still experience a lot of symptoms. I'm told it's normal for the amount of damage I have to my system.
Hang in there..and make sure you aren't getting cc from something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: