9 replies to this topic

#1 cougie23

cougie23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

I know eggplant is a night shade...but can anyone explain about nightshades to me?
effects,any info would be apresiated! I know alot of celiacs tend to be sentitive to these (and soy, nuts,corn,frucose ect.) so I'm sure a thread on the subject for all us newbies would be much apresiated!
I thought eggplant was ok...I only had an ocasional reaction to American (the giant purple beast) eggplant if it was under cooked (usreally grilled)...I didn't seem to have any problem with the smaller more delecate japanese eggplant I've been eating it regularly in my diet for the last year/ 8 months? But the recently I had stuffed American eggplant and was sick ( vomiting ,diarea,intestinal hives,bloating,throat itchy slightly swollen,sore, severe neck pain and severe migrain type head ache!!!)
Needless to say I said NEVER again to american eggplant...but 2 weeks after the effects wore off I had just a little japanese eggplant thrown in with some mushrooms and chicken in the form of tacos (gluten free corn tortillas of course)...and WHOA BABY!!!! I was Soooooooo sick!!!! Neck imeadeatly knotted up severely ,migraine for days..vomiting ,instant bloating.....Internal hives....I've NEVER had that kind of reaction to the smaller type eggplant (its the really long one). Apearently ALL eggplant are out now!! :blink: :(
So can anybody give me any insight on this..I've heard mention here and there but thought maybe it could be helpful to put it out there in one spot! allittle easier than looking all over this site for scraps of info like I was doing...Thanks Guys!!! :D :D
also is it possible to get hemorroids from a food reaction? any one ever experiance or heard of this?
Suddenly I've this wicked hemorriod out of nowhere!!
I know the constant diarhea/constapation that seems to be a universal side effect of Celiacs can cause this...but anyone have this type of reaction due to food allergies? I do get internal hives...maybe a byproduct? anyone else ever have this happen to you? :blink: :o :rolleyes:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes. Don't eat 'em. Actually eggplant is probably an issue also, but I don't eat it so I don't know for sure if I would react. I think one problem is alkaloids in nightshades that some people don't handle well. I think the alkaloids are bad for everybody but most people can stand a certain amount. That's why they say not to eat the green eyes of potatoes because they are high in alkaloids (poison).
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Nightshade plants are known for their inflammatory properties, and it is advised that people with inflammatory dieseases such as arthritis do not eat them. This was the original reason I started laying off them. Then I found that potatoes were toxic to me (I had already figured out and did not like peppers), but once I discovered that tomatoes also did a number on me I did not bother to test eggplant. By the way, these had always been my favourite foods, and having eliminated them and the problems they caused, I think they have also upset my bodily hormonal balance and the lack of them has caused other problelms. But not enough to make me consider reintroducing them to my diet. Yet...:ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Familytradition

Familytradition

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

I am starting to suspect an intolerance to nightshades as well. :( I haven't had any in nearly a week and tonight I boiled some red potatoes and ate it like soup. Within a short time I was bloated up so big I looked 6 months pregnant. Now I have gas, frequent urination and I am wondering if I will be able to rest tonight. :/

#5 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Guys... I appreciate the feed back...didn't know about the akoloids, that makes sense! does anyone know if squashes fall in the nightshade catogory? :unsure:
Oh... and to answer my own question...I did some googling and yes,,,hemerhoids CAN be caused by food reactions!(just in case anyone ELSE wanted to know) :blink: :rolleyes: :)
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#6 PeachBlossoms

PeachBlossoms

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good substitutes for nightshades: Instead of french fries, try baked sweet potato with sea salt, black pepper and ground rosemary. :)
Squash is a wonderful substitute for nightshades (giving soups a thick broth).

Also, seasoned rutabaga makes a nice potato patty substitute. :)
Can't eat: Wheat & Grains, Soy & legumes, Dairy, Nuts & Seeds, Nightshades, Cruciferous Vegetables, Stone Fruits, Citrus Fruit, Zucchini & Squash, Grapes, Apples, Red Meat, Yeast, Mushrooms.
Can't eggs or meat that is not 100% grass fed (can't eat soy or corn fed animals or products).
Bananas & Sweet potatoes give me a medium reaction.
I now eat organically and I notice I feel a bit worse when I don't eat organic produce.

What do I eat? Celery, clams, Olives/Olive oil, Blue Berries, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes & Bananas (yes, they make me so sleepy), Asparagus.

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Squash are not nightshades. Nighshade vegetables are tomato, potato, eggplant, sweet peppers of all types, hot peppers of all types, paprika, tomato relatives like tomatillos and tamarillos, and pimentos (the red things in olives).

The nightshade family is known for its alkaloids, natural drugs. There are a lot of inedible and very dangerous nightshade plants like henbane, black nightshade, datura, and the deadly belladonna plant. Tobacco is also a nightshade. Nightshade drugs include nicotine, atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscamine.

#8 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Great info...but isn't sweet potato a potatoe??? if its exluded thats great because I adore sweet potatoes (in my stirfrys..as french fries..potatoe chips from trader joes...soup...
mashed..you name it)!!! what about yams! :P

Oh and skylark...check the tech thread...I wrote you a great messege about the Avitars...hope it helps! :rolleyes: :D :D I like what you have though..
but I can understand wanting to trade up now and then. :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Sweet potatoes are botanically rather different from potatoes. They belong to the Convolvulaceae family. Nightshades are the Solanaceae family, which includes regular potatoes.

Yams are not the same as sweet potatoes, although they are often confused. Yams belong to yet another family: Dioscoreaceae.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Sweet potatoes are botanically rather different from potatoes. They belong to the Convolvulaceae family. Nightshades are the Solanaceae family, which includes regular potatoes.

Yams are not the same as sweet potatoes, although they are often confused. Yams belong to yet another family: Dioscoreaceae.

Thankyou peter....ARRRRRRGGGGG!!! it's Sooooo complicated!!! :blink: :blink:
Nice to know though!(were did you learn this stuff...thats rather advanced googling there!!!LOL) :D You are definatly a knowlagable fellow and quite an asset to this site...thankyou and keep up the good work!!! :D :D :D
What about red and blue? are they potatoes..or something else? Sorry...we eat alot of potatoes.....especialy sweet,red..and the little purple ones! :blink: :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: