This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To The Zoo

glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2 Enthusiast

We are going to tgR zoo tomorrow and then chucke cheeze. Neither one will let me bring in food. How would you handle that? They are 2 hours away from my house. I really would hate to make another trip to the grocery store this week, but looks like I'm not going to have a choice....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I would check with a manager at the zoo and explain your situation. Are there places in the zoo to get food? I can't think someone would spend the whole day at the zoo and there not be anything there to eat. I mention this because if you talk to someone tell them you can not safely eat anything at any of the vendors because of severe food allergies. See if you can get permission to bring in a cooler with food items. If they are worried about you carrying it around and possibly feeding the animals, ask if you can keep it at the manager station. When it is time for lunch you could go back and get it and then eat. I had this same issue when I went to Dollywood. There policy was not to allow any food in. I wasn't as spunky as I am now so I had my lunch in a cooler that I left in the car. I went out to the car to eat(This is an option if they refuse to let you bring anything in). By the time I got to eat I was a mess. I had to wait for everyone else to eat inside the park before I could go to my car. I was so hungry, low blood sugar, and angry. I swore next time I would contact someone and to make accomidations. We went to Disney in Jan. and everyone carried food in. No one there cared a bit. It was nice because I didn't have to worry and my parents just didn't want the cost of the park food. As far as Chuck E. Cheese, I have no ideas there. If you are going after the zoo, just make sure you eat plenty at the zoo before you go there. If you need something for your child, I would just sneak something in with your purse. Restaruants let you carry baby food and bottles in for your infant/toddlers.

GFreeMO Proficient

Pack a great picnic lunch and either eat before or after the zoo. Find a nice park and enjoy the weather.

As far as the pizza place, skip it all together. Why put yourself through that?! As far as being hungry at the zoo, stick a banana or an apple or something in your purse. While you are there, buy a soda or something.

StephanieL Enthusiast

You are legally allowed to take medical necessities. Your food is one. I would call and explain this.

Skylark Collaborator

You are legally allowed to take medical necessities. Your food is one. I would call and explain this.

I would call and ask about gluten-free food options. You might be pleasantly surprised. If there are none, I would also explain that I need to carry food into the park for medical reasons and see what they say.

As far as Chuck E. Cheese, I'd just eat at the salad bar but I'm not super-sensitive. I do tend to avoid whatever is next to the croutons and watch for visible crumbs.

DanielleR Rookie

When we go to theme parks I always bring a note from the doctors about the food problems we have. Once they see that I am able to bring in all of the food.

DanielleR Rookie

I would call and ask about gluten-free food options. You might be pleasantly surprised. If there are none, I would also explain that I need to carry food into the park for medical reasons and see what they say.

As far as Chuck E. Cheese, I'd just eat at the salad bar but I'm not super-sensitive. I do tend to avoid whatever is next to the croutons and watch for visible crumbs.

If you eat at the salad bar, be sure to skip the dressing as it usually contains gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

If you eat at the salad bar, be sure to skip the dressing as it usually contains gluten.

Yes!!! Thanks for mentioning that. I forgot. Never put "unidentified goo" on your food at a restaurant. :lol: I look for pickled beets or three-bean salad instead of dressing at salad bars. There is also sometimes oil and vinegar by salad bars, which is fine.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

They have to let you bring food in if they can't safely provide food for you. I would tell them you have multiple food allergies. It makes it easier. They will comply. They don't want to get sued by you. Sea World has that same policy but if you have food allergies they let you in. Disneyland doesn't ever harass you about food. I always bring food there (we have passes) and they are great with gluten free, but we need snacks.

I brought our own gluten free pizza wrapped in foil in a big purse to Chuck E Cheese. They didn't even notice. I don't ask permission for something like that. Let them try to tell me I can't have my food there. Go ahead. Try it. LOL Those kids that work there are clueless anyways. They aren't going to notice your pizza looks different when you put it on your plate. Be discreet about it, but do it. Take care of yourself.

Juliebove Rising Star

The zoo will likely have popcorn and nachos that would be safe. Maybe some nuts. Maybe some other candy. And maybe something like a snow cone. The drinks should be safe.

Chuck E. Cheese has a salad bar that is most likely safe. I haven't been there for years but don't remember any wheat stuff being on it. They also have cotton candy and maybe safe ice cream. Do they have hot dogs? I can't remember. If so you could get one with no bun.

At any rate I wouldn't count on either one for a meal. Just a snack. Plan to eat your meal elsewhere, or pack something to eat in the car or at a park.

Sea world would not let me. They told me any restaurant could accommodate multiple food allergies... They had gluten-free snack packs, and I stuck with salad and fruit.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Sea world would not let me. They told me any restaurant could accommodate multiple food allergies... They had gluten-free snack packs, and I stuck with salad and fruit.

Wow that's crazy. Was it CA or Florida? I'm in CA. I did eat the gluten free at Sea World and I didn't get sick, but the manager told me I could bring in food if I needed to. They are just asking for lawsuits. I do not believe in suing restaurants and all of that because then they will just quit providing gluten free food, but at an amusement park you are stuck there and have no choice.

Disney never does that to people. I always bring snacks to Disney and the security open up my snack bag and then let me through. But Disney is a cut above all the rest.

I would never get nachos and crap like that at the zoo. You just cannot be certain it's safe and what an awful place to get glutened where it's hot and you have to walk a lot.

Skylark Collaborator

Disney never does that to people. I always bring snacks to Disney and the security open up my snack bag and then let me through. But Disney is a cut above all the rest.

Disney does gluten-free too. You have to set it up in advance but they are very careful! Disney is definitely a cut above.

I don't remember Sea World being that easy. I think I got a "huh, what?" with the gluten and had to find a manager.

sariesue Explorer

What is the big deal with eating in the parks anyway? Growing up my family NEVER ate in a park except maybe an ice cream. With the exception of the disney trip, but meals were included with our package. Simply because of the expense of feeding my family of 4 at an amusement park and because my sister was a vegetarian. When we went to 6 flags we would pack a cooler lunch and leave it in the car, the 6 flags in Mass allows re entry as long as you go out the correct door. So we would leave the park at lunch time eat then go back. We also would eat before/after a trip to chuck e cheese and never felt deprived especially since the pizza there sucks. I want to know why people find it soo important for people to bring meals into these places instead of just working around it. I bugs me because if there are other options available like reentry to the park it makes people with food allergies or celiac to be very high maintenance instead of just coping with the rules. I understand the need to bring food into an amusement park if they do not allow reentry because then you are stuck and very limited. Maybe my opinion is just different because I am still new to this diet and don't have kids yet.

jswog Contributor

What is the big deal with eating in the parks anyway? Growing up my family NEVER ate in a park except maybe an ice cream. With the exception of the disney trip, but meals were included with our package. Simply because of the expense of feeding my family of 4 at an amusement park and because my sister was a vegetarian. When we went to 6 flags we would pack a cooler lunch and leave it in the car, the 6 flags in Mass allows re entry as long as you go out the correct door. So we would leave the park at lunch time eat then go back. We also would eat before/after a trip to chuck e cheese and never felt deprived especially since the pizza there sucks. I want to know why people find it soo important for people to bring meals into these places instead of just working around it. I bugs me because if there are other options available like reentry to the park it makes people with food allergies or celiac to be very high maintenance instead of just coping with the rules. I understand the need to bring food into an amusement park if they do not allow reentry because then you are stuck and very limited. Maybe my opinion is just different because I am still new to this diet and don't have kids yet.

I, for one, CANNOT go for hours on end, especially with the level of activity at a theme park, without eating! I had to get a doctor's note to be able to take food/water in with me to work, too, because I HAVE to eat or I will be sick. I need to eat small meals every 2-3 hours and would not leave the park that often. Even some lines take almost that long to get to one ride!

Sea world was Orlando. I went to Disney and was so shocked how accommodating they were. Sea world, not so much.

Do you understand what it's like to have cranky hungry kids and a mom and gave to schlep to the car to eat? It's a no go for me. Can't do it. Either help me or let me bring in my food.

sreese68 Enthusiast

Maybe my opinion is just different because I am still new to this diet and don't have kids yet.

I have 4 kids, so trust me on this one. When you have a couple or more young children of your own, you will understand the desire to eat in the park/zoo! LOL! Walking ALL the way out to the car and then ALL the way back in is very tiring with hungry young children. They get tired and cranky, and you get tired and cranky. In my opinion, the main benefit to eating inside the zoo or park is it gives your kids a chance to sit and rest. And the parents, too. If you have to walk to the car, you've lost that very valuable rest time.

Archived