This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Personal Care & Household Products

jesrie24

jesrie24 Newbie

Hi everyone my name is Jessica, I'm new to this site & I recently found out I had Celiac Disease this year & I'm having a hard time finding products that are gluten-free & mostly natural/organic. Most of the products I've found (curtesy of this site & others) I have to order off the Internet or make my own but I can't do that because I don't have the funds to order much off the Internet or to get ingredients to make my own stuff right now so I need to be able to get most of my products from stores. So does anyone know of any products that might be in stores like Wal-mart, Target, Drug Stores, Brookshire's, Walgreens or any stores like that?

What I need:

Shampoos, Conditioners, Hairspray (White Rain?)

Deoderant (spray on & roll on only please.)

Laundry detergent & Fabric softener (sheets for fabric softener only please.)

Dishwashing liquid (Joy, Dawn, Palmolive?)

Cosmetics (I only wear: lip gloss/lip balm/lip stain, perfume, nail polish & nail polish remover)

Lotion (Palmer's, Jergen's?)

Body wash (White Rain, SoftSoap?)

Hand Soap (Bar or liquid. SoftSoap?)

Hand Sanitizer

Toothepaste (Aim, Close Up, Colgate, Crest?)

Mouthwash

Facial cleansers/moisturizers (Noxema?)

Bathroom & kitchen cleaners

Also unrelated to this topic but does anyone use Sugar In The Raw?

Sorry if I am asking too much. Please and Thank You in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Off your list I use Dove, Palmolive, Blistex, Neutrogena, SoftSoap, Colgate, Crest, Tea Tree Oil shampoo and condiktioner, Dove hand soap, Savacon mouthwash, Oil of Olay moisturizer (too lazy to go looking for another) :D

Others will lgive you other choices. I try to keep it simple and cheap.

Roda Rising Star

What I need:

Shampoos, Conditioners, Hairspray (White Rain?)Suave, T-Gel, Pert Plus

Deoderant (spray on & roll on only please.)I use a solid deoderant so, can't help you there

Laundry detergent & Fabric softener (sheets for fabric softener only please.)I used to use All Free and Clear but now I make my own out of borax, washing soda and Fels Naptha soap. I use Bounce free and sensitive

Dishwashing liquid (Joy, Dawn, Palmolive?)Palmolive

Cosmetics (I only wear: lip gloss/lip balm/lip stain, perfume, nail polish & nail polish remover)Not much help here.

Lotion (Palmer's, Jergen's?)Gold Bond

Body wash (White Rain, SoftSoap?)Dove bar soap for sensitive skin

Hand Soap (Bar or liquid. SoftSoap?)Soft Soap liquid

Hand Sanitizer I try to avoid it when possible

Toothepaste (Aim, Close Up, Colgate, Crest?)Colgate, Crest or Tom's of Main

Mouthwash Not much help here either

Facial cleansers/moisturizers (Noxema?)Oil of Olay

Bathroom & kitchen cleaners Clorox, windex, baking soda, vinegar

Greenling Newbie

Hi Jessica,

I had this exact same problem when I went Gluten-free six months ago as my doctor recommended I look at all the products I use. I also wanted organic/natural products. So I have a few suggestions for you:

Shampoos, Conditioners, Hairspray: Can't help you on hairspray, but for shampoo and conditioners, I suggest either "Avalon Organics" or the "Yes to" brand (available at Wal-Mart, Kroger's (in the Natural Foods section), etc.). "Yes to" comes in "yes to tomatoes", "cucumbers" or "carrots" depending on your hair type. Very affordable both brands.

Laundry detergent & Fabric softener (sheets for fabric softener only please.): I like "Zum" brand, but it's expensive, so I usually buy "Ecos" (I get this at my Kroger's store, Hy-Vee also carries it).

Dishwashing liquid (Joy, Dawn, Palmolive?): I use "Seventh Generation" (available at Target).

Lotion, Body wash, Hand Soap: I like "Yes to", and "Dr. Bronner's Castile" (liquid or solid). "Zum" soaps are also wonderful.

Toothepaste: I use "Crest" (it's not organic or natural, but it contains flouride and I want flouride in my toothpaste).

Facial cleansers/moisturizers: I like "Yes to" facial cleansers and moisturizers, but I currently use just unpasteurized, raw honey. (Google "Crunchy Betty" for more information). My skin looks great and no moisturizer is needed. If you wear make-up, you might look into oil-cleansing methods as well (also on "Crunchy Betty"). It works like a charm (and my skin is sensitive and likes to break out).

Bathroom & kitchen cleaners: I make my own cleaners (see "Crunchy Betty" recipes) and they work amazingly well. I also steam clean things a lot (with a Han steam cleaner).

As a general reference, "Crunchy Betty" has given me lots of ideas for how to do just about anything naturally and low fuss.

Hope this helps!

Greenling

jesrie24 Newbie

Thanks for the replies & suggestions everyone it really helps me alot.

Another Question: Has anyone ever tried 3% Hydrogen Peroxide with baking soda for toothpaste & 3% Hydrogen Peroxide with water as mouthwash? I haven't done either but I've been doing some research and am curious if this is ok & if it is does it work?

Celtic Queen Explorer

Shampoos, Conditioners, Hairspray (White Rain?) - Garnier fructis has a new line. I can't remember the name. It has pure in the label. It's gluten free.

Cosmetics (I only wear: lip gloss/lip balm/lip stain, perfume, nail polish & nail polish remover) Blistex is gluten free. Burt's Bees Lip shimmers are also gluten free. They're my go to lip gloss.

Body wash (White Rain, SoftSoap?) I use Dr. Bonner's liquid soap. It's $14 for a large bottle at Target.

Toothepaste (Aim, Close Up, Colgate, Crest?) colgate and crest are both gluten-free, as is Tom's of Maine

Facial cleansers/moisturizers (Noxema?) For a mositurizer, I use regular old extra virgin olive oil. It works great. It soaks right into my skin and leave it feeling so soft.

Bathroom & kitchen cleaners Vinegar and water. It's cheap, chemical free, and cleans really well. I fill my spray bottle with 1/4 to 1/3 regular white vinegar and fill it to the top with water. It's safe to use on almost any surface.

unknown Apprentice

Hair Products - Dove Shampoo and Conditioner, Infusium 23 leave-in, ShiKai Curl Definer Spray

Deoderant - Dove

Laundry detergent & Fabric softener - Purex detergent and purex crystals (sorry, I don't have sheets). You can get purex detergent super cheap! I have 7 bottles that I got for 0.97 each! They were on sale for 1.97 and I used 1.00 off coupons.

Dishwashing liquid - Palmolive. These are always on sale for under 1.00 and you can easily get 0.25 coupons.

Cosmetics - I love neutrogena's lip moisturizer with SPF 15 and urban decay is awesome. They emailed me an excel spreadsheet listing all of their gluten free items.

Lotion - I use Vaseline Aloe Fresh lotion. I called them to verify that it's gluten free and they mailed me coupons!

Body wash - I use Softsoap, dove or Johnson & Johnson baby wash (whatever is on sale).

Hand Soap - I use Softsoap. The large refill bottle (64 oz.) is always on sale for around 3.50 at Safeway.

Hand Sanitizer - I don't buy this, sorry.

Toothpaste - I use colgate total.

Mouthwash - I don't have any. I had to give away the bottles I had. I did hear that Act was gluten free and I waiting for a good sale to buy some.

Facial cleansers/moisturizers - I use Basis Cleaner Clean face wash. You can get it at CVS for around 5.50. Once that's gone, I'm going to try honey as a face wash. I heard that it's really good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sariesue Explorer

Thanks for the replies & suggestions everyone it really helps me alot.

Another Question: Has anyone ever tried 3% Hydrogen Peroxide with baking soda for toothpaste & 3% Hydrogen Peroxide with water as mouthwash? I haven't done either but I've been doing some research and am curious if this is ok & if it is does it work?

I don't know the effectiveness but it will taste disgusting. I was told to rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide to help canker sores heal, it was so nasty tasting I gaged and nearly threw up. You might be better off with an actual toothpaste.

As for your other questions, why must you use only roll on and spray deorderants? There are a number of wheat free ones that are solids. Secret has a mineral deoderant that was gluten-free when I bought the massive BJ's pack.

If you are wanting to know about your current favorite products, you can read the labels. Although some maybe hard to find as ingredient labels are often on outside packaging that gets thrown away when you open it.

• 2 weeks later...
jesrie24 Newbie

Hair Products - Dove Shampoo and Conditioner, Infusium 23 leave-in, ShiKai Curl Definer Spray

Deoderant - Dove

Laundry detergent & Fabric softener - Purex detergent and purex crystals (sorry, I don't have sheets). You can get purex detergent super cheap! I have 7 bottles that I got for 0.97 each! They were on sale for 1.97 and I used 1.00 off coupons.

Dishwashing liquid - Palmolive. These are always on sale for under 1.00 and you can easily get 0.25 coupons.

Cosmetics - I love neutrogena's lip moisturizer with SPF 15 and urban decay is awesome. They emailed me an excel spreadsheet listing all of their gluten free items.

Lotion - I use Vaseline Aloe Fresh lotion. I called them to verify that it's gluten free and they mailed me coupons!

Body wash - I use Softsoap, dove or Johnson & Johnson baby wash (whatever is on sale).

Hand Soap - I use Softsoap. The large refill bottle (64 oz.) is always on sale for around 3.50 at Safeway.

Hand Sanitizer - I don't buy this, sorry.

Toothpaste - I use colgate total.

Mouthwash - I don't have any. I had to give away the bottles I had. I did hear that Act was gluten free and I waiting for a good sale to buy some.

Facial cleansers/moisturizers - I use Basis Cleaner Clean face wash. You can get it at CVS for around 5.50. Once that's gone, I'm going to try honey as a face wash. I heard that it's really good.

Thank You.

jesrie24 Newbie

I don't know the effectiveness but it will taste disgusting. I was told to rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide to help canker sores heal, it was so nasty tasting I gaged and nearly threw up. You might be better off with an actual toothpaste.

As for your other questions, why must you use only roll on and spray deorderants? There are a number of wheat free ones that are solids. Secret has a mineral deoderant that was gluten-free when I bought the massive BJ's pack.

If you are wanting to know about your current favorite products, you can read the labels. Although some maybe hard to find as ingredient labels are often on outside packaging that gets thrown away when you open it.

I only want spray & roll on deodorants because that's all the stores near me have & I just personally prefer roll on over others & as I said in my first post I can't order stuff online that much because I never have enough money for that I can probably order something maybe twice a year but that's it so I need stuff that I can buy in stores for low prices.

kareng Grand Master

I only want spray & roll on deodorants because that's all the stores near me have & I just personally prefer roll on over others & as I said in my first post I can't order stuff online that much because I never have enough money for that I can probably order something maybe twice a year but that's it so I need stuff that I can buy in stores for low prices.

Pick a company with one you like and email them about the ingredients. See what they say.

Archived