This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe

lub2bmom

lub2bmom Apprentice

Does anyone have a good gluten free stuffing recipe? My family has a specific recipe we always use --but since finding out i have a gluten allergy this year I'm going to have to find an alternative to use this thanksgiving! thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Does anyone have a good gluten free stuffing recipe? My family has a specific recipe we always use --but since finding out i have a gluten allergy this year I'm going to have to find an alternative to use this thanksgiving! thanks in advance!

Could you use your family's special recipe and just substitute gluten-free bread?

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've made the interesting discovery that gluten-free bread bakes very well in stuffings, casseroles.

Don't fight it. We've got enough crappy luck, take that and run!

lub2bmom Apprentice

to be honest i've tried some of the bread mixes to try and find a bread recipe to substitute and they taste horrible and turn out gooey? maybe i'm making them wrong.....any suggestions on a good gluten-free bread brand?

Try a French bread like Gluten Free Pantry/Glutino or A super white bread like Kingarthur Flour.

I ground some of each up for crumbs and they worked great.

Someone suggested that one brand...can't think of the name....but it's dry and horrible and it's premade and shelf stable....said it is great for baking. Someone help me here.....orange/yellow package....

If I do stuffing this year I'll do cornbread stuffing - so its half "bread", half cornbread.....perhaps that would help adjust the flavor expectation for you? A rice dressing would be good, also.

I haven't decided if I'm cooking traditional Thanksgiving yet....may just make gumbo and forget about it (although that's what I do for Christmas so hmmmm)..,,

Ener-G bread????

lub2bmom Apprentice

thanks so much pricklypear1971!! are all of those mixes you buy and make? i've tried the redmill white bread -- came out horrible... maybe i didn't cook it enough though -- outside was browned, inside was soggy. although i like your cornbread idea!!!

GUMBO... yumm! Do you have a good gluten-free recipe for that you'd like to share ;-) I'm from Green Bay, WI so good gumbo recipes, gluten-free or not are hard to come by! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yes, the GFP and King Atthur are mixes.

For crustier French Bread buy little loaf pans, and make 4 mini-loaves instead of 1 big one. I did that with the Gfp. Worked great.

When I make gumbo I'll post the recipe. It's naturally gluten-free as long as you make the roux from gluten-free flour. Just meat and veggies otherwise.

lub2bmom Apprentice

good tip on the four loaf pans!! i will definitely try that!! fingers crossed! thanks for the useful tips!

kendon0015 Rookie

Why not a rice stuffing. There are plenty of recipes around. It would probably be best NOT cooked in the turkey, but a separate casserole dish. I have found that using brown sushi rice holds up really well in soups and rice salads....kinda has a barley texture. Pre cook it first though.

lub2bmom Apprentice

I am a total stuffing in the bird type of gal! ;-)

Ginsou Explorer

4 cups (stale or lightly toasted)gluten free bread cubes

Place cubes in a large bowl and mix with:

1 Tablespoon parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sage

1/4 teaspoon thyme

Set aside

In a saucepan combine:

1/4 cup margarine

1/4 cup onion

celery

Cook until onion and celery is tender

Remove from heat and add:

dash pepper

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 beaten egg

Pour over the bread cubes and seasonings. Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

This can be used to stuff a turkey instead of baking it separately.

Ginsou Explorer

6 cups gluten free bread cubes (fresh)

3/4 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup chopped onion

6 Tablespoons butter or margarine

3/4 teaspoon dried sage

1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1 teaspoon marjoram leaves

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup chicken broth (add another 1/4 cup for moister stuffing)

3 Tablespoons butter or margarine cut into thin slices for top of stuffing

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place rack in center of oven. Spread bread cubes on a large baking sheet and bake until cubes are dried out and golden. Allow to cool thoroughly.

Increase oven temp to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8 x 8" baking dish with cooking spray.

Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, sage, thyme and marjoram. Mix well and saute until tender.

Put bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Stir in onion and celery mixture. Add broth and mix in gently. Allow to sit until all moisture is absorbed (about 5 minutes).

Spoon stuffing mixture into greased 8 x 8" baking pan and cover with foil. Bake covered for 15 minutes. Remove foil, dot with thin slices of butter across top of stuffing and bake an additional 20-30 minutes until top is golden brown and a little crisp.

Ginsou Explorer

New England Bread Stuffing

10 cups lightly packed gluten free

bread cubes

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

2 large chopped onions

2 stalks chopped celery

2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (I use Bell's, but it is not available everywhere)

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

4 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

3/4 to 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and toast, stirring once or twice, until firm to the touch--8 to 10 minutes. Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the poultry seasoning. Stir in the parsley and sage. Season with salt and pepper.

Add onion mixture to bread cubes, tossing gently to mix. Add 3/4 cup broth and the egg and mix lightly but thoroughly. Add remaining broth to make a moister stuffing if baking separately. If stuffing turkey, make a slightly drier stuffing and stuff lightly into turkey. If baking separately, place in a buttered baking dish and cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, removing cover the last 10 minutes. I use Rudi's or Udi's bread for stuffing.

• 3 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I love Against the Grain bread and there is a recipe for stuffing with their baguettes (purchase from Whole Foods Market).

lub2bmom Apprentice

Thanks!

Archived