This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vision Issue, What Is This?

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

This has been going on for 8 months. While other symptoms have gone away this has not. Please tell me what I am describing and how to help it:

blinds on windows literally blind me

striped shirts, same, pattern seems to bright

escalator lines in the steps are too bright and blur my vision so I can't see the step properly

lots of bright leaves scattered on the walks are too bright and overwhelm my vision

a friend sitting across the table from me with sun reflecting on a white wall makes it hard to see my friend

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CR5442 Contributor

It's really wierd isn't it?! I go through phases of vision issues. I remember when i was younger I was always squinting, to protect my eyes from the light. Right now I get a lot of images staying as shadows in my eyes for minutes after stopping looking at said thing... say a TV or a light. Since I've been on a liver detox and also sorting out the adrenal fatigue things seem to have gotten better. I went out today in the sunshine without my sunglasses... so must be slightly better.

do you have any idea what might cause yours?

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

It's Dry Eyes & Glare for me... I'm using RESTASIS for the Dry Eyes & Transition Lens in my glasses, but the Reflected Glare is my Biggest Eye Issue... Transition Lens just don't help the reflective glare here..

domesticactivist Collaborator

On a hunch I googled light sensitivity and cod liver oil. It looks like a potentially promising connection. We use green pastures fermented cod liver oil.

Skylark Collaborator

Have you gone to an ophthalmologist? They're sometimes quite good at diagnosing odd vision problems.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I attribute my own vision problems to my difficulties associated with Vitamin A--I don't think I absorb it well, and it's too inflammatory for me to take as a supplement. If there's too much white around me outside(like tents at a craft show), I become dizzy and feel blinded. For me, Vitamin A deficiency has caused night blindness since I was 11 and sensitivity to bright light. If there's too much white around me outside(like tents at a craft show), I become dizzy and feel blinded. However, I can't wear sunglasses, because then my vision is too impaired to see (due to the night blindness). My eyes are also pretty dry, but I haven't yet started to use drops. I take cod liver oil stirred into a little bit of yogurt in the evening in my attempt to get SOME Vitamin A into me.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Have you gone to an ophthalmologist? They're sometimes quite good at diagnosing odd vision problems.

I was sent to a Neuro Ophthalmologist by my Ophthalmologist several years before I was diagnosed with Celiac in June of 09... The N O did save my sight in my left eye, neither the O or N O mentioned taking any vitamins...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks so much for the replies. I understand that vit A supplements are too risky because of the possible side effects, occuring to my doc......it is one of those that the body does not produce naturally and so can become toxic in large amounts. I understand that cod liver oil is a good substitute. If I have been misinformed let me know. I think I might be hunting me down some cod liver oil!!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I would definitely go to the doctor and have your eyes checked. Maybe they even need to do a CT scan or something to rule out anything bad. I wouldn't let that one go or think it's just celiac related. It's better to just be certain.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I would definitely go to the doctor and have your eyes checked. Maybe they even need to do a CT scan or something to rule out anything bad. I wouldn't let that one go or think it's just celiac related. It's better to just be certain.

I have had my eyes checked and a MRI was performed with no results. Eye doc asked if I had been tested for diabetes which I had. He did give me a prescript for driving glasses but that made no difference.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Follow up- bought some cod liver oil tabs which contain 1250 IU vit A each (25% of daily allowance) and 130 IU vit D. I am taking 3 tabs a day like the bottle suggests and I am noticing a big difference already. My body was in need of vit A!!

CR5442 Contributor

Follow up- bought some cod liver oil tabs which contain 1250 IU vit A each (25% of daily allowance) and 130 IU vit D. I am taking 3 tabs a day like the bottle suggests and I am noticing a big difference already. My body was in need of vit A!!

I think I might try that!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Wow, so the docs had no answers for you? Isn't that just typical? Just like with celiac. They shrug their shoulders and we have to be our own physicians. Glad the supplement is helping.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Wow, so the docs had no answers for you? Isn't that just typical? Just like with celiac. They shrug their shoulders and we have to be our own physicians. Glad the supplement is helping.

My docs have not helped me with any of my symptoms. I have had to find answers for them all. Thank goodness we live in the Internet age!

CR5442 Contributor

I know what you mean! My dietician said 'well, itching isn't normal', and I said 'yes, I know' hoping that she would have some sort of idea... but no! My herbal lecturers are brilliant though, it's like they are completely tuned in to the whole person. I've been asked to be a patient as they think I'm unusual - a good learning patient... though probably not as unusual as all that by the sounds of it!

blueshabooMoon Apprentice

Wow..I am desperate also vision screwy issues eyes tests perfect, I am going to try cod liver oil also.Thanks for sharing, Terrilynne

domesticactivist Collaborator

I'm glad it helped! It might be good to tell your opthamologist and other doctors the good news. That way it will be in their mind as a possibility for other patients.

Archived