16 replies to this topic

#1 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

This has been going on for 8 months. While other symptoms have gone away this has not. Please tell me what I am describing and how to help it:

blinds on windows literally blind me

striped shirts, same, pattern seems to bright

escalator lines in the steps are too bright and blur my vision so I can't see the step properly

lots of bright leaves scattered on the walks are too bright and overwhelm my vision

a friend sitting across the table from me with sun reflecting on a white wall makes it hard to see my friend
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

It's really wierd isn't it?! I go through phases of vision issues. I remember when i was younger I was always squinting, to protect my eyes from the light. Right now I get a lot of images staying as shadows in my eyes for minutes after stopping looking at said thing... say a TV or a light. Since I've been on a liver detox and also sorting out the adrenal fatigue things seem to have gotten better. I went out today in the sunshine without my sunglasses... so must be slightly better.

do you have any idea what might cause yours?

#3 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

It's Dry Eyes & Glare for me... I'm using RESTASIS for the Dry Eyes & Transition Lens in my glasses, but the Reflected Glare is my Biggest Eye Issue... Transition Lens just don't help the reflective glare here..
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#4 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

On a hunch I googled light sensitivity and cod liver oil. It looks like a potentially promising connection. We use green pastures fermented cod liver oil.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

Have you gone to an ophthalmologist? They're sometimes quite good at diagnosing odd vision problems.

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

I attribute my own vision problems to my difficulties associated with Vitamin A--I don't think I absorb it well, and it's too inflammatory for me to take as a supplement. If there's too much white around me outside(like tents at a craft show), I become dizzy and feel blinded. For me, Vitamin A deficiency has caused night blindness since I was 11 and sensitivity to bright light. If there's too much white around me outside(like tents at a craft show), I become dizzy and feel blinded. However, I can't wear sunglasses, because then my vision is too impaired to see (due to the night blindness). My eyes are also pretty dry, but I haven't yet started to use drops. I take cod liver oil stirred into a little bit of yogurt in the evening in my attempt to get SOME Vitamin A into me.

#7 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Have you gone to an ophthalmologist? They're sometimes quite good at diagnosing odd vision problems.

I was sent to a Neuro Ophthalmologist by my Ophthalmologist several years before I was diagnosed with Celiac in June of 09... The N O did save my sight in my left eye, neither the O or N O mentioned taking any vitamins...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#8 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I understand that vit A supplements are too risky because of the possible side effects, occuring to my doc......it is one of those that the body does not produce naturally and so can become toxic in large amounts. I understand that cod liver oil is a good substitute. If I have been misinformed let me know. I think I might be hunting me down some cod liver oil!!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#9 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I would definitely go to the doctor and have your eyes checked. Maybe they even need to do a CT scan or something to rule out anything bad. I wouldn't let that one go or think it's just celiac related. It's better to just be certain.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#10 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

I would definitely go to the doctor and have your eyes checked. Maybe they even need to do a CT scan or something to rule out anything bad. I wouldn't let that one go or think it's just celiac related. It's better to just be certain.

I have had my eyes checked and a MRI was performed with no results. Eye doc asked if I had been tested for diabetes which I had. He did give me a prescript for driving glasses but that made no difference.

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Follow up- bought some cod liver oil tabs which contain 1250 IU vit A each (25% of daily allowance) and 130 IU vit D. I am taking 3 tabs a day like the bottle suggests and I am noticing a big difference already. My body was in need of vit A!!

#12 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Follow up- bought some cod liver oil tabs which contain 1250 IU vit A each (25% of daily allowance) and 130 IU vit D. I am taking 3 tabs a day like the bottle suggests and I am noticing a big difference already. My body was in need of vit A!!

I think I might try that!

#13 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

Wow, so the docs had no answers for you? Isn't that just typical? Just like with celiac. They shrug their shoulders and we have to be our own physicians. Glad the supplement is helping.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#14 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Wow, so the docs had no answers for you? Isn't that just typical? Just like with celiac. They shrug their shoulders and we have to be our own physicians. Glad the supplement is helping.

My docs have not helped me with any of my symptoms. I have had to find answers for them all. Thank goodness we live in the Internet age!

#15 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

I know what you mean! My dietician said 'well, itching isn't normal', and I said 'yes, I know' hoping that she would have some sort of idea... but no! My herbal lecturers are brilliant though, it's like they are completely tuned in to the whole person. I've been asked to be a patient as they think I'm unusual - a good learning patient... though probably not as unusual as all that by the sounds of it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: