This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac With A Low Gallbladder Hida Scan, Need Experiences

The-Albatross

The-Albatross Newbie

Hi Forum,

I haven't been here in quite a while. Basically I was getting used to gluten free and some things have improved. I had a low fracture ejection rate last year on my gallbladder (19%) And the GI doc said my gallbladded doesn't empty or sqeeze the way it should. I tried various supplements and detoxes and retested at 12 months. I am now at 17 percent.

I am concerned about having the prescribed surgery to have it removed because I certainly don't need more trouble with the Celiac disease.

If there's any experience to be had, I'm all ears, and thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The-Albatross Newbie

I guess what I'm asking is what to expect if I agree to have my gallbladder removed?

I dug around and found this link from another thread here, I'm just wanting some information about how this is gonna affect my Celiac Disease.

unknown Apprentice

Well, I know this isn't really the answer to your question...because I was diagnosed after I had my gallbladder removed, but I'm sure I've had celiac disease for a long time (I think celiac disease is what caused my gallbladder issues). Now that both my gallbladder has been removed and I am on a gluten free diet (it has only been like 3 weeks), I already feel better than I've felt in YEARS! I'm still not 100% of course, but I'm feeling so much better and I honestly don't know how I lived for so long feeling so crappy!

I am not the classic celiac (i.e., I never had the frequent bathroom problem or weight loss) and after you have your gallbladder removed a lot of people have that problem even worse than before (due to the constant bile flow into your intestines). Even after surgery, I still didn't have that symptom. So, if you already experience frequent bathroom trips that may be the only thing that you'd have to worry about. Also, my healing process was not quick and easy, but I think that's because I wasn't on a gluten free diet and my tummy was even more swollen than it already was. It hurt and the swelling lasted up until about a week ago (I had the surgery on June 30), but it was so worth it. I had 20 stones, chronic cholecystitis, and cholesterolosis.

Mari Explorer

Most of us who choose to not have surgery for bile system dysfunction and congestion are able to improve or eliminate the congestion by doing programs that have Liver/Gallbladder Flushes. There are several Liver Flush Support Forums online. Most of the programs advise parasite programs, a method of softening or dissolving hard calcium stones followed by Liver Flushes. Several experts have produced books on Liver Flushes - Hulda Clark, PhD, ND; Andre Moritz; Dr. Richard Schultze and Dr. Sutter's coke Liver Flush and others. I have been using one of these programs for the last 20 years and found it very helpful before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have been gluten-free for 6 years and no longer make so many stones and sludge and have been able to do the LFs less often. It seems that only an rare person who has damaged tissues, usually caused by an infection, will need their gallbladder removed.

The-Albatross Newbie

Yeah, thank you for your replies. I did flushes last year... consistently as well as something my chirpractor recommended A-F Beta Food, organic beet, and just tried to do the best gluten free I could last year. But really, I'm still looking for some post surgical experience. I'm really tired of feeling poorly. I have a lot of food intolerances and allergies. I am hoping to find some experiences so I know what to expect post surgically. Thanks, both of you for your comments.

unknown Apprentice

Oh, I'm sorry! I can give you post-surgical experience. After waking up, I was huge! They pump all this gas into your stomach (I had laproscopic surgery) and you feel like you can't really move. They sent me home after they injected me with pain medication, because they won't let you leave if you are still in pain. I got home (after I picked up my pain meds from the pharmacy) and I felt really out of it and super talkative, but okay. After a few hours the pain started again. It really hurt me to move because I could feel the gas in my stomach moving around. It hurts in your shoulders. I also had a hard time peeing. I felt like I had to push really hard. I basically ate nothing but mashed potatoes the first couple days.

Days 2 and 3 were the worst for me. My whole body ached like I had the flu which I think was from the anesthesia or something. I also couldn't keep any food down (I had to use the kitchen sink because I couldn't bend over the toilet) and I couldn't get up from half laying down position (I slept on the couch with pillows behind me, because I could not lay flat. It feels like something is being pulled inside). I also had a fever and called my surgeon, who said that it was normal to get a fever after surgery and if it lasted longer than a few hours to call back. The fever quickly went away (thank goodness!).

I know this doesn't sound so great, but by the 4th day I was off the pain meds (I still have like half the bottle) and was just sore. I only took 1 1/2 weeks off of work. When I went back to work, I still had swelling (I had to wear loose pants) and I had a very large black bruise from my belly button down. I was still experiencing swelling and some pain until just a week ago. They did a full CT with contrast after I could not go to the bathroom and it showed that everything was fine.

But, in all honesty...getting the surgery was 100% worth it. Even with the lingering pain I had after. Before surgery I was in pain everyday from my swollen gallbladder and when I'd have the gallstone attacks, I literally thought I was going to die. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life!

My boss had his gallbladder removed (he's much older than me...I'm 29) and he was totally fine after (he had the low functioning gallbaldder problem, too). He was out walking his dogs the next day! So, everyone has different experiences. Mine sucked majorly, but your experience could be awesome like my boss.

Oh, and the scars are super small! You can't even hardly see the big one in my belly button and the other three along my rib cage are super small. They're still red, but healing really well.

Archived