This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In My Thyroid Meds!

climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi all,

So, I found gluten in my thyroid meds -- generic Cytomel (T3)!!! :o

I have been getting progressively sicker over the last few months. Headaches, severe shortness of breath, zero stamina, stomach issues, etc. I work out regularly on my own plus 2x/week with a trainer. Finally, after embarrassing myself yet again with zero exerise tolerance with my trainer I made an appt with my endo guessing my thyroid was off. My doctor said I may have switched from being hypo to hyperthyroid and may be over medicated. I have been taking T4 and T3 for about 6 years. So, we did the labs for thyroid and a bunch of other stuff.

After he convinced me I must now be hyperthyroid I dropped my dose (37.5 mcg/day) of Cytomel T3. After just a couple of days I started feeling so great! Then after about 4 or 5 days I was freezing cold and sleepy (like I was hypothyroid again), but still oddly felt great otherwise. So, 10 days later I got my labs. Normal! In fact my T3 was borderline between normal and low. So, why did I feel better not taking it??? It didn't make any sense. Was there gluten in the pill? So, I crushed up a couple of weeks worth and ran the Elisa-Tek gluten test--twice. Positive! There was gluten in my pill!!! D*** it! Furious. Absolutely furious. :angry:

Turns out my T3 generic was coming from a new lab that I had never used and it was different lab than my T4. The pharmacy had switched it. Taking my thyroid every morning was like taking a dose of cyanide.

Anyway, I confirmed the results with Elisa-Tek then I ran it up the food chain at both the pharmacy and the drug manufacturer. I've switched brands and am feeling great!

Beware.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I don't take thyroid meds, but it is so outrageously wrong for a pharmaceutical company to be having undeclared gluten in a medication that is frequently used by celiacs, it may be time to organize for an FDA intervention. This is criminal behavior.

burdee Enthusiast

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with your T3 (Cytomel) supplement. I requested generic liothyronine (T3) made by the Paddock company, because Cytomel contains a sugar ingredient. Because I have a cane sugar allergy, I avoided that brand and opted for the Paddock T3 product. I've never had any problems with my generic liothyronine. I hope you continue to improve on your new T3 supplement.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Wow that is terrible! How can a drug company even use gluten in their products? That is so wrong. You shouldn't have to check every time you pick up your meds. Wow.

DonnaMM Explorer

It literally makes me sick to my stomach the crap our government allows into our medications. I have celiac so I needed to evaulate and/or change all my medications (although my endocrinologist does not seem to think the gluten in my synthroid is a big deal) I disagree so I will just have my primary change it, but I hate that I have to check every medication. I have severe acid reflux and a clotting condition so I must be on aspirin and protnix, although these two medications are gluten free, I am also allergic to corn and I fear that if I ever get a blood clot (related to the clotting condition) and need to be on coumadin the coumadin will not help me much because of the celiac and malabsorption and my allergy to corn which is pretty much in everything, although fortunately my reaction to corn is mild and the small amount in my pills does not seem to bother me. Although I really feel for people that have a severe allergy to corn, I could not imagine compounding all my medications and spending all that money, just so I can make sure that something that is supposed to make you better does not kill you, even some benadryl has corn in it, how will that stop a corn allergy sufferer from having their throat closed. Sorry I just really hate the FDA and that was me on my soap box

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Who is the manufacturer of the Cytomel that you mention? Also, what response did you receive from the company?

Roda Rising Star

I know the brand name of Cytomel is manufactured by King Pharmaceuticals.

Paddock and Mylan also make generic liothyronine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Please, what brand had the gluten and what brand was safe??? I take the Mylan T3.

Roda Rising Star

Hey Skylark I have taken all three of those brands you mentioned and don't recall any problems with them at the time. I started out on cytomel before it went generic. Then when it went generic, my insurance switched me. First was on Paddock then Mylan was subbed for one or two 3 month refills and then the pharm switched back to the Paddock. I decided to go back to brand name to stay consistant with the dosage. I'm doing alright so far. I know that doesn't answer your original question though.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks Roda. That's a bit of comfort. :)

I PM'd Jillian in the hopes that she'll come back and give us more details.

Skylark Collaborator

Jillian wrote and the Paddock 50 mcg had the gluten. Mylan is safe.

Roda Rising Star

Jillian wrote and the Paddock 50 mcg had the gluten. Mylan is safe.

I was taking the 5 mcg from paddock and was fine taking two at a time. I suppose that the different dosages could differ. I'm now taking the brand name Cytomel 25 mcg. I have found I am able to tolerate that dosage if I split it and take it twice a day (better really to keep blood concentrations more level). I had been taking a total of 25 mcg of the paddock all at once(I was taking 5 of the 5mcg to use it up) and could not tolerate it at all. Since switching and dosing how I am now, I feel great. I'ts giving me that added boost I need in the afternoon.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I would still like to know the response of the manufacturer to your inquiry.

Archived