This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Have Dreams About Accidentally Eating Gluten?

srall

srall Contributor

The reason I am wondering is that I have had these dreams for so long. I'll be eating something like a cookie, or a sandwich (last night it was corn flakes) and then it will occur to me that I'm not supposed to be eating it at all. In the last week both my mom and my daughter have both asked me if I had dreams where I'm eating gluten. They have the same dreams. I have a dream almost every night.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IWannaSammich Newbie

The reason I am wondering is that I have had these dreams for so long. I'll be eating something like a cookie, or a sandwich (last night it was corn flakes) and then it will occur to me that I'm not supposed to be eating it at all. In the last week both my mom and my daughter have both asked me if I had dreams where I'm eating gluten. They have the same dreams. I have a dream almost every night.

OFTEN! I used to have "fun" nightmares - like zombie-movie-action dreams. Now all of my nightmares involve accidentally eating cake or bread. I'm usually several bites in before I realize, causing my dream self to spit and scrape my tongue. Also, whenever I discover a new food that unexpectedly has gluten in it, I'll dream about it that night (I'm looking at you, Twizzlers).

This is one of the weirder symptoms of this whole troublesome disease.

NateJ Contributor

Definitely. I have these a lot. I remember thinking in my dream,'what am I doing' but can't stop eating whatever it is.

Then you wake up and feel relieved. More of a nightmare really.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Once. Woke up panicked. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Asimmonds92 Newbie

This has happened to me too! It probably sounds stupid to non-celiacs, but when you know what that would do to you it's legitimately terrifying!

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

have these a lot. Usually in the dream I either induce vomiting or end up vomiting for a long time, even though vomiting hasn't ever been once of my symptoms (but reflux so bad I WISH I were vomiting, now that I've had). or I'll spit it out and scrape tongue... once I had a dream that I ate a lot of gluten and ended up unconscious/paralysed. That one was weird.

I also have dreams where I'm scared to death in a bakery or something. or refuse something that looks and smells delicious and when I wake up I'm like, "damn, i could've eaten that"

Marilyn R Community Regular

It's completely normal to have these dreams. When I first went gluten-free it was always about being at a BBQ party eating big fluffy buns. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said she had those dreams when she was about to graduate from med school. In her dreams, she couldn't find the lecture hall where she was supposed to take her last exam, so she would be running all over the place looking. She said it's from feeling unprepared. It's a major life change and something that causes anxiety.

Those dreams were so realistic too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bridgetm Enthusiast

I have these dreams too, but I rarely have the realization in the dream that I can't have it. Instead I wake up thinking "What the h***?? Why would I do that?"

Coolclimates Collaborator

I have these dreams (or nightmares) quite often. Fortunately I do not get sick if I get glutened (in real life, and in my dreams as well), but it still harms me in the long run.

GuyC Newbie

I've had a couple in the last year. I'm always glad when I wake up and determine it was a dream!

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Oh yes. I hate those dreams. My last one, I was eating a cheeseburger. And when I realized my mistake, I was even more upset because I don't even really like cheeseburgers, and I was like, "WHY am I eating this???"

bridgetm Enthusiast

Oh yes. I hate those dreams. My last one, I was eating a cheeseburger. And when I realized my mistake, I was even more upset because I don't even really like cheeseburgers, and I was like, "WHY am I eating this???"

I have that too! All the things I never enjoyed when I could physically eat them show up in my dreams now.

Googles Community Regular

I have these dreams every once in a while (more like nightmares). It really sucks. Once I wake up I have to figure out if it was a dream or real.

Rebecca92 Apprentice

I have had those dreams a million times ill eat something I can't have and realize all of a sudden that im not supposed to have it then I'll either spit it out or pig out on it because i already ate some anyways. Its a relief waking up though knowing I didn't really get glutened

Archived