arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Have Dreams About Accidentally Eating Gluten?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 srall

srall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

The reason I am wondering is that I have had these dreams for so long. I'll be eating something like a cookie, or a sandwich (last night it was corn flakes) and then it will occur to me that I'm not supposed to be eating it at all. In the last week both my mom and my daughter have both asked me if I had dreams where I'm eating gluten. They have the same dreams. I have a dream almost every night.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IWannaSammich

IWannaSammich

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

The reason I am wondering is that I have had these dreams for so long. I'll be eating something like a cookie, or a sandwich (last night it was corn flakes) and then it will occur to me that I'm not supposed to be eating it at all. In the last week both my mom and my daughter have both asked me if I had dreams where I'm eating gluten. They have the same dreams. I have a dream almost every night.

OFTEN! I used to have "fun" nightmares - like zombie-movie-action dreams. Now all of my nightmares involve accidentally eating cake or bread. I'm usually several bites in before I realize, causing my dream self to spit and scrape my tongue. Also, whenever I discover a new food that unexpectedly has gluten in it, I'll dream about it that night (I'm looking at you, Twizzlers).

This is one of the weirder symptoms of this whole troublesome disease.

#3 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

Definitely. I have these a lot. I remember thinking in my dream,'what am I doing' but can't stop eating whatever it is.
Then you wake up and feel relieved. More of a nightmare really.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Once. Woke up panicked. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Asimmonds92

Asimmonds92

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

This has happened to me too! It probably sounds stupid to non-celiacs, but when you know what that would do to you it's legitimately terrifying!

#6 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

have these a lot. Usually in the dream I either induce vomiting or end up vomiting for a long time, even though vomiting hasn't ever been once of my symptoms (but reflux so bad I WISH I were vomiting, now that I've had). or I'll spit it out and scrape tongue... once I had a dream that I ate a lot of gluten and ended up unconscious/paralysed. That one was weird.

I also have dreams where I'm scared to death in a bakery or something. or refuse something that looks and smells delicious and when I wake up I'm like, "damn, i could've eaten that"
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#7 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

It's completely normal to have these dreams. When I first went gluten-free it was always about being at a BBQ party eating big fluffy buns. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said she had those dreams when she was about to graduate from med school. In her dreams, she couldn't find the lecture hall where she was supposed to take her last exam, so she would be running all over the place looking. She said it's from feeling unprepared. It's a major life change and something that causes anxiety.

Those dreams were so realistic too!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#8 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have these dreams too, but I rarely have the realization in the dream that I can't have it. Instead I wake up thinking "What the h***?? Why would I do that?"

#9 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

I have these dreams (or nightmares) quite often. Fortunately I do not get sick if I get glutened (in real life, and in my dreams as well), but it still harms me in the long run.

#10 GuyC

GuyC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

I've had a couple in the last year. I'm always glad when I wake up and determine it was a dream!
-Guy

gluten-free since 10/27/2010

#11 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Oh yes. I hate those dreams. My last one, I was eating a cheeseburger. And when I realized my mistake, I was even more upset because I don't even really like cheeseburgers, and I was like, "WHY am I eating this???"

#12 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Oh yes. I hate those dreams. My last one, I was eating a cheeseburger. And when I realized my mistake, I was even more upset because I don't even really like cheeseburgers, and I was like, "WHY am I eating this???"

I have that too! All the things I never enjoyed when I could physically eat them show up in my dreams now.

#13 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I have these dreams every once in a while (more like nightmares). It really sucks. Once I wake up I have to figure out if it was a dream or real.

#14 Rebecca92

Rebecca92

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

I have had those dreams a million times ill eat something I can't have and realize all of a sudden that im not supposed to have it then I'll either spit it out or pig out on it because i already ate some anyways. Its a relief waking up though knowing I didn't really get glutened

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: