This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amazing Self Administered Gluten / Soy Test

Tom2

Tom2 Rookie

Today, my brother Jeff and I were talking about soy and how that may be our problem since being gluten-free for almost 1 year and still having issues. Jeff remembered a strength test that a ND told us about several years ago and in our brain fog minds we forgot. We tried it on each other with several items like different brands of potato chips, corn meal, beans, candy bars, cans of tomatoes, milk, etc. and the ones with wheat or soy got us every time. I tested OK for milk but he didn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That's pretty funny! And a bit sad, if you payed someone for that advice!

I have some pills that will cure any food intolerance. Don't be worried that they look and taste like Skittles! :D

Tom2 Rookie

Kareng: Don't laugh till you try it. I challenge you and anyone else to give it a try before thinking it is a snake oil sham. It really does work.

Tom II

Lisa Mentor

WOW :blink: He's pulling our leg....but then, that might work too! ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

hmm.....doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd base my health decisions on....

kareng Grand Master

Actually, I don't think it's such a funny joke anymore. I think he is disrespecting and making fun of the people with very real health issues who read and respond on this site.

domesticactivist Collaborator

It's not making fun, kareng. I've seen this body testing method used in siincerity by many alternative health care practitioners. I'm sure OP didnt make it up to tease people.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Ok. I could see this if the food wasn 't sealed in a can. If they are reacting to anything, it's the can or glue or label. Or the fact that they know what's in the can.

I just see him sitting at home laughing that he got a bunch of people to try this. It's like those games you play at a Girl Scout sleepover.

Lisa Mentor

Ok. I could see this if the food wasn 't sealed in a can. If they are reacting to anything, it's the can or glue or label. Or the fact that they know what's in the can.

I just see him sitting at home laughing that he got a bunch of people to try this. It's like those games you play at a Girl Scout sleepover.

or maybe magic. B)

Seriously, the only way to determine gluten in a product is to simple read the label - no magic at all, just common sense.

mushroom Proficient

There are many people who do believe this, and actually do make food choices based on such testing. My housesitter is one of them, although I am gradually getting her into more scientific choices. :blink: At least she has abandoned the soy that was driving her hypothyroidism to the whackiest levels (once I convinced her to have them tested).

The NAET testing never did show the adverse effects of soy upon her body.

Oscar Apprentice

I'm putting this idea in the same group as the inexpensive lawyer and the honest politician. Or, as Mr. Roarke would say, "Welcome to Fantasy Island." :ph34r:

mamaw Community Regular

This is part of NAET testing.....for many it is a strange concept..Mainly because most believe in only FDA regulated treatment & drugs... They will not look for alternative forms of help. NO I DO NOT in any form believe this practice will cure anything but it is used by a large group of alternative practitioners in the holistic world.....to dx allergies...our forefathers did not have the medical marvels that we see today.. BUt again there was much less illness back in the old days.. today we look for a pill for a cure-all.. Did you ever read all the side effects of these modern day drugs, they can be deadly alone without the illness... I have heard many say the chemo drugs are far worse than the cancer itself.....

So, just my opinion is that if someone can use their own body without drugs to finds a problem & they feel better then no harm done......I actually used to use this method years ago & a practitioner found a serious problem that he turn sent me to my PCP & later to a surgeon... I'm grateful this problem was found & fixed.....the only problem is finding a practitioner who truly understands the body... Way to many Quacks out there so hence the bad raps come...

Just think what did your grandparents use or do for finding things before modern medicine....they had to think outside the box....

some people are just dependent on a drug instead of trying to heal in a more natural way , drugs are like a badge of armour , I guess...

Lisa Mentor

This is part of NAET testing.....for many it is a strange concept..Mainly because most believe in only FDA regulated treatment & drugs... They will not look for alternative forms of help. NO I DO NOT in any form believe this practice will cure anything but it is used by a large group of alternative practitioners in the holistic world.....to dx allergies...our forefathers did not have the medical marvels that we see today.. BUt again there was much less illness back in the old days.. today we look for a pill for a cure-all.. Did you ever read all the side effects of these modern day drugs, they can be deadly alone without the illness... I have heard many say the chemo drugs are far worse than the cancer itself.....

So, just my opinion is that if someone can use their own body without drugs to finds a problem & they feel better then no harm done......I actually used to use this method years ago & a practitioner found a serious problem that he turn sent me to my PCP & later to a surgeon... I'm grateful this problem was found & fixed.....the only problem is finding a practitioner who truly understands the body... Way to many Quacks out there so hence the bad raps come...

Just think what did your grandparents use or do for finding things before modern medicine....they had to think outside the box....

some people are just dependent on a drug instead of trying to heal in a more natural way , drugs are like a badge of armour , I guess...

Mamaw - I highly respect your opinion and expertise. But this is what I am referring to specifically:

"Also, a little harder to do, but with practice you can do the same thing with holding up next to your chest and rocking your body back and forth. If your body rocks forward it is OK – but if your body rocks backward it rejects product. I am not as good with this method as the other that takes 2 people."

I think alternative medicine/theories has it's place after conventional diagnosis has not met a cause, reason and cure.

Jestgar Rising Star

.....the only problem is finding a practitioner who truly understands the body... Way to many Quacks out there so hence the bad raps come...

This sums up my thinking on a lot of alternative medicine. There's a lot of knowledge and unorthodox science out there, and a lot of ways to fix things that aren't part of western medicine. Sadly, there are far more people who are ignorant of the details and only have some idea of the concept. These are the people who give alternative medicine a bad name.

Maybe it is possible for your body to resist something that's bad for you, or maybe it's just you knowing and controlling your arm. Show me blinded studies - they would be incredibly easy to do - and I'll consider the concept. If it's just your friend or brother handing you something, doesn't count.

mushroom Proficient

Maybe it is possible for your body to resist something that's bad for you, or maybe it's just you knowing and controlling your arm. Show me blinded studies - they would be incredibly easy to do - and I'll consider the concept. If it's just your friend or brother handing you something, doesn't count.

This is what happened with my housesitter and soy. She demonstrated to me that she did not react to soy :ph34r: but then went to a new practitioner in whom she has implicit faith who demonstrated to her that she did.

Skylark Collaborator

As you would expect, muscle testing fails spectacularly in properly blinded scientific studies. They are quite amusing to read, particularly the positive responses to things like saline controls.

References 21-28 at the bottom of the Wikipedia article.

Open Original Shared Link

AVR1962 Collaborator

An uncle of mine did this with a homeopathic doc. He stopped eating wheat and determined his body was filled with lead and mercury. It sounded very intereresting when he told me. I should try it.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

if this works at all, it is because your subconscious has already made a decision yea or nay. that doesn't mean that your subconscious is correct.

mamaw Community Regular

I do go to mainstream doctors but I have used other forms of therapies as well. I'm one of those people who react to almost the total planet.. I have found somethings are helpful others not so much..I guess one needs to be open minded & totally are in sync with their own being...

My problem is the unknowlegeable practitioners who make it bad for those that are on the cutting edge.. I find it VERY difficult to find a knowledgeable practitioner.. Many states boot them out like my state has in hte past...

Since I'm a person who can't tolerate only a couple of drugs I must find alternative sources , again not everyone needs to be so extreme...I've had major surgeries without pain medicine because it is deadly to me so I have used natural formsthat wouldget me through some of the pain.. NOt a fun way to go, of course I would rather take an IV injection & not remember a thing... But I want to wake up & be alive& with drugs I'm dead in seconds if not treated...

Now for the rocking back & forth , here how it is supposed to be. One places a food, grass or any substance next to their chest & holds it there while the eyes are closed. If you say still or sway a bit the product is generally okay. But if you feel or fall backwards the product is off limits...Naet has been around for years, the newer version is the BIo-Set Testing, both of which can be googled for more info.

Years ago when my grandchild was about 6-7 a practitioner showed him how to zap a person's energy... This kid went home & ask his Dad if he could take his energy away from him but he promised to give it back....The Dad being a big man of over 250, weight lifter so sure son go for it..all along the Dad was chuckling but trying to be serious ... So the kid does what he was shown ,now telling Dad to pick up a gallon of milk, a pile of books & so on..At first we think Dad is toying with the kid, several minutes go on & Dad truly can't picl up & hold on to anything with any amount of weight.We quietly ask Dad if he is playing around. Dad answers Hell No, .....he has a puzzled look on his face... So the kid laughs & goes to his room....Finally Dad goes in & asks kid to give him back HIS STRENGTH.. The kid reverses the techinque & Dad is fine....

Next day at work Dad is zapping his co-workers energy ....

For me there is something to this but again when one needs surgery one needs surgery.. And I don't believe anyone except God himself can cure any auto-immune disorder...

There is a place for western medicine & alternative medicine both used in their proper places...

I also do believe in the future we will witness more & more medical shortages so we need to be looking to other ways of helping ourselves...without modern medicine.

I was not able to get my weekly B-12 injection for almost a month because there is only 1 pharmancy who disperses this & the FDA closed them down....

I think we all need to be ready for anything ........

blessings

learning & knowlege is a wonderful tool for life.....

kareng Grand Master

I believe there is a place for other types of medicine. I don't see how anyone can react to a food sealed in a can. Maybe if they had taken it out of the can?

Can you do acupuncture during a procedure? My mom, who believes there is a pill for everything, did it for a few years. Not sure who talked her into it. It worked well. If only she would have done her part & did the physical therapy that went with it.

mamaw Community Regular

Kareng

I have used accupuncture for a few surgeries but again many mainstram docs don't believe in it....so as with hospitals.... most of the time I suffer through the pain , my pain tolerance is very high.. I now can use 1 drug that is a twilight drug that I so far haven't reacted to.... Again I feel & hear everythingthat is taking place, drills, saws, doctors discussing & so on but after about an hour out of surgery I remember everything except the PAIN...

Thanks

Jestgar Rising Star

Kareng

I have used accupuncture for a few surgeries but again many mainstram docs don't believe in it....so as with hospitals.... most of the time I suffer through the pain , my pain tolerance is very high.. I now can use 1 drug that is a twilight drug that I so far haven't reacted to.... Again I feel & hear everythingthat is taking place, drills, saws, doctors discussing & so on but after about an hour out of surgery I remember everything except the PAIN...

Thanks

My brother has hypnotized a couple people to the point of allowing them to go through surgery without pain. He said it takes a long time to get a person to that level so it's something that has to be planned for.

IrishHeart Veteran

I always said I was NOT moving the ouija board pointer when I was a kid , but I was. :rolleyes: You can "make anything" happen.

When I was very, very ill and in pain before DX, I tried various natural remedies, herbs, castor oil packs, skin brushing, acupuncture, UNDAS, rotation diets, leaky gut protocols, even rolfing and biofeedback--anything suggested by a reputable Naturopathic doctor and other alternative practitioners for 2 1/2 years---to the tune of $6K. I am no idiot, but I sound like one ---spending that kind of money from our savings to find relief. I was just so desperate and in agonizing pain.

Nothing resolved my dozens of symptoms. How could it? I had UNDXED celiac! :blink:

I was desperate because conventional medicine had failed to diagnose me. We went from doctor to doctor and spent thousands. No answers. No relief.

so...out of that desperation, I tried this NAET method to see if I had food intolerances---as it was FREE!

Sweet hubby (a chemist) told me "Babe, this will not tell you anything!" He could list various reasons why, but his first point was "You are not INGESTING it!" He humored me anyway. He put various foods in baggies (as described on the internet), and had me close my eyes to provide some control over our experiment.

My arm bent back every time. (I was weak, so that was probably why).

He said that I had reacted to all the substances in the baggies!!--and when I examined the foods that surely I must be intolerant of-- there among them was a baggie that contained a rock.

:rolleyes:

IrishHeart Veteran

My brother has hypnotized a couple people to the point of allowing them to go through surgery without pain. He said it takes a long time to get a person to that level so it's something that has to be planned for.

That's fantastic. No side effects from anesthesia. :)

kwylee Apprentice

Tom2 - I know you were serious. I first read about this practice many years ago, but back then they were using food substances in glass vials. I was fairly skeptical but at a Natural Health fair prior to me finding out about my intolerances I agreed to be muscle tested and it was interesting to say the least. This was done with isolated frequency signals of foods though passed into my body by something strapped to my ankle with the results being displayed on a computer, painless and not the old method of holding the substance, but the muscle testing part sounds the same.

What do I think about it? Well, I have to admit that I did NOT agree to move forward with the $900 treatment to "clear" me of all intolerances, but I will admit that the muscle testing was interesting. When it came to many grains, dairy and soy products and their derivatives, I could not keep my arm up under the slight pressure no matter how hard I tried (and they had chosen me from the crowd because I was a skeptic). Since those three foods subsequently turned out to be my biggest problems, I guess I could agree to stay open minded about the testing part, given that the body is electric, and clearly a system of frequency, but I honestly do have a hard time believing that they could have cured me of intolerances (not allergies, they were clear to state), by running a tapping thing along my spine for 15 seconds. I do believe they really believed it, though.

Archived