Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need To Feel Better Asap

11 posts in this topic

I'm on a business trip and must have eaten something with gluten yesterday, because today I'm SO sick. D, cramps, growling, etc. Taking Pepto did nothing. I have to be able to sit in seminars all week without spending half the day in the bathroom. Any advice?

Ads by Google:

this probably isn't much help :( but the only thing that seems to calm my stomach etc. down is sprite, for some amazing reason. you could try chamomile tea too. i know quite a few peeps here take the anti-D medication. i never have, but it seems to help some. hope you feel better soon!!!

there's not a lot you can do - the autoimmune reaction has begun. taking it easy on your stomach, getting as much sleep as you can (I know, I know... business trip), and some peppermint or ginger tea/candy is about all I can suggest.

I always turn to my good old friend immodium when I start to feel like that, it usually calms the stomach down. However, I have an issue that when I know I have to be somewhere or if I'm driving for awhile, I don't eat. Even now that I'm ALMOST in control of my diet, I just would rather wait until I get where I'm going than eat a big meal. I'm pretty sure that I should have stock in immodium though, I just hope I never become immune to it! :D

Thanks guys. Lunch today was a little gluten-free soup, a banana, and applesauce. I'm sure I'll be hungry later, but I want everything to calm down as much as possible. I know it's just a waiting game at this point! Yay.

Go for the Immodium. It's a life saver for my daughter. It works every time and doesn't bung you up. We use the fast acting kind.

I am a retired Barrister, and your post has brought back vivid memories of torture in the Courtroom as I sat/stood in the middle of Trials trying to avoid an accident...sometimes I couldn't. It is hell.

I know of no cure. People have told me that popular remedies may themselves not be gluten-free. I am sorry for your situation; unfortunately, there may not be a remedy. You may have to just try to work around it. In my case, once I explained the situation (in not a lot of detail) the Judges and other Lawyers were quite understanding. (They know it'll likely be them in the same pickle in a few years) Good luck.

Richard

Here's more:

You might think this is ridiculous, but a dry martini slows down (not stops) my pain, cramps and grumblings. Hey, who am I to complain about an effective course of treatment? In fact, if I want to be really healthy, I'll have 2. (...just kidding about the second one) I'm serious, folks; however, I am not sure this could be considered one of the more standard remedies. :)

One thing that is apparent with all Celiacs is that their conditions manifest themselves in so many different ways, and their sensitivities are incredibly varied - although gluten remains the big one. This martini thing works for me; I don't know if there is an anaesthetic effect to the gin or what. And what's odd, other spirits don't have that effect. Hmmm...perhaps the subject could bear further extensive research....

Richard,

That is quite an interesting remedy for you indeed! I can't say that I have ever had a Martini though...... not really a gin lover! :P

I usually just stick to white wine now. It seems to be the easiest. Although, I can remember when I first started going gluten free, I was devastated because I could no longer have my favourite drink. Up here in Canada, we have a drink called a Bloody Caesar, which is made from Vodka, Clamato Juice, Worshteshire sauce, a touce of tabasco, and celery salt around the rim. I loved having a few on the weekend during a BBQ. I discovered that Clamato juice contained gluten and I could no longer have it. I WAS DEVASTATED!!!! I was a Caesar connoisseur! I had literally perfected the art of making those drinks!!!

Oh well, the sacrifices we make for this disease...... ;)

Karen

What do I take? A bath....that doesn't help as you're in meetings. A friend with irritable bowel syndrome told me her doctor recommends eating slightly undercooked rice because it will absorb the remaining liquid in her gut. Worth a try I guess! Hope you feel better soon......I always want sushi when I'm sick. Maybe it's all the rice? Doesn't really make any sense, does it?

You know, I have a lot of food problems and really, my husband and I have noticed that sushi is the only meal I can eat when I feel like crap. Seriously, must be the combo of rice (easy on my stomach), good protein, some pickled ginger, and wasabi. I use Braggs liquid Aminos for my soy sauce (can't take the fermented wheat free tamaris) and I usually feel pretty darn good after eating that. Though when you're feeling sick that might not seem the most likely dinner, it does do the trick of getting some nutrients in my body. Also, seaweed is supposed to be healing for the gut, as well as rich in minerals and vitamins.

Immodium will work wonders and I've heard (but not yet tried) psylliam is good at helping slow things down, plus is soothing to the gut.

Finally, if you ever catch yourself at the beginning of a reaction, Alka Selzer Gold (the only gluten-free one) is supposed to somehow help minimize the reaction. I haven't tried that either but have heard it sweared on as a good method.

Take care!

Stephanie