17 replies to this topic

#1 NateJ

NateJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

Anyone have issues with BP being high after going gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

I did but after I got on the right suppplements that all fixed itself.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

NateJ, Have you had your Vitamin D checked?? I've had issues where my BP med was increased in late winter & cut back in late summer... I recently had a stress test that zeroed in on an issue.. I'm now taking the right meds and less of them with extra Vitamin D... I'm feeling quite a bit better each week...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

My blood pressure did go up but since it was so extremely low before diagnosis it is AFAIK still in normal ranges.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Austin Guy

Austin Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

Mine actually went from high to normal when I went off gluten, soy, corn and rice.

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 10, 2011 after going gluten free May 8.
Allergic to cat dander, salmon, nuts, lots of airborne pollens and mold.
Soy intolerance August 2011
Dairy and egg intolerance November 2011
Peanuts 2013
Titanium dioxide June, 2014

Bisphenol-A August, 2014.

#6 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Mine has been high since I went off gluten in April. I've had full blood work up, an EKG, and a echo stress test, all came back normal. I'm currently wearing a heart monitor, get that off today.
High BP and some minor chest pain. The chest pain has been better the past two days but my BP has not
gone below 130/90 for over 2 months now.
I feel ok, no stomach issues except unknowingly glutening myself.
Just wondered if anyone else saw this issue. I'm only 35 and my diet is pretty good.

#7 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Mine has been high since I went off gluten in April. I've had full blood work up, an EKG, and a echo stress test, all came back normal. I'm currently wearing a heart monitor, get that off today.
High BP and some minor chest pain. The chest pain has been better the past two days but my BP has not
Just wondered if anyone else saw this issue. I'm only 35 and my diet is pretty good.

Have you had blood work for vit and mineral levels? Are you eating salty foods? Does this run in your family? What other symptoms are you having, if any?

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

Stress? My husband has "white coat syndrome", sometimes when just THINKING of a white coat. Every time his bp is taken at a medical facility it's high. When he takes it at home (first thing in the morning, in a quiet place) it's normal.

Drives both of us nuts because he won't go to a doctor about ANYTHING because they take his bp and get obsessed...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Interesting... yes, mine went up significantly. My anxiety levels increased too, by the way.

Back when I was a runner I had a low BP & pulse plus less anxiety (or so it seemed).

I think the BP thing might be due to low vitamin B12 levels, which I plan to have checked next week.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

#10 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

I don't know if this helps at all but I will share what happened to me. Perhaps not your situation. I am 48, never had high blood pressure ever in my life, if anything it bordered low. I went on 3 month liver cleanse to speed up my metabolism. That sped up my heart like nuts. First 2 months I was fine but then it hit me overnight and ended up in ER with chest pains, blood pressure was 146 over 90. At that time docs had no clue what was going on. I went thru all the tests. Finally this was linked to an herb, doc said it was much like drinking those energy drinks and that because herbal supplements are not regulated by the FDA they many times have too much and will cause the heart problems. While my body was in the detox stage of this my blood pressure stayed high. It wasn't until I passed the detox stage and I started supplementing that my blood pressure came down. There had been alot happen during this time, and I too thought I was having white coat syndrome.

#11 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

I don't take any supplements or 'herbs', I've always had freakishly high metabolism. Actually was in a clinical study years ago for it. Certain painkillers and anesthetics don't work on me because my metabolism runs them out. Like whatever they use at the dentist and anything local.
I'm 35, and yes it runs in my family. My Dr. insisted on all the tests before BP meds because of my history and symptoms.
Chest pains is what concerns me the most. Radiates into my left arm at times. She told me to take tylenol?

#12 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

I don't take any supplements or 'herbs', I've always had freakishly high metabolism. Actually was in a clinical study years ago for it. Certain painkillers and anesthetics don't work on me because my metabolism runs them out. Like whatever they use at the dentist and anything local.
I'm 35, and yes it runs in my family. My Dr. insisted on all the tests before BP meds because of my history and symptoms.
Chest pains is what concerns me the most. Radiates into my left arm at times. She told me to take tylenol?

That would concern me too. Are docs thinking of putting on prescription meds?

#13 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

#14 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

My primary mentioned it, but hasn't done it yet. She scheduled these tests, then had me set a follow up for 6 weeks.
Then her nurse called and said that I should see a cardiologist (sp?) so I'm waiting for someone to call about that.

#15 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

My primary mentioned it, but hasn't done it yet. She scheduled these tests, then had me set a follow up for 6 weeks.
Then her nurse called and said that I should see a cardiologist (sp?) so I'm waiting for someone to call about that.

Best to you with this. It would be nice if you could still be going thru a withdrawl stage but 6/7 months out, it is probabaly not the case. I know you said your vits levels are fine. Are you having any other symptoms besides high blood pressure and chest pains? For me, I really think it was my vit d supplementing that helped bring down my BP. My BP stayed high for several months. I was doing the no salt thing and trying to get more exercise. I would not say I am overweight. I thought maybe it was my back pain that was causing it or that I was stressed from being thru so much with the detox. I was really trying to work and concentrate on relaxing and did what I could to stay out of the line of stressful situations. Maybe that helped and maybe it didn't. I started supplementing in June, this is 5 months after my ER trip and that's when my blood pressure came down and went back into normal range.

I think for me it was the vit d that made the difference. It would be something to try before going on heart meds. As long as your calcium levels are not above normal you can take 5000 IU d daily. http://highbloodpres...a/vitamin-d.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: