18 replies to this topic

#1 connole1056

connole1056

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:59 AM

I was wondering what celiacs have been getting at Burger King recently, and if you would be willing to share that with me. I have not checked in awhile. The website lists food with allergens, but only wheat is a common allergen so I am not sure about the food containing other no-no's for celiac patients. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:30 AM

The Burger king across the street from my work has a huge poster on the wall listing all thier ingredients and allergens. I have only ordered french fries, after discussing dedicated fryers with the manager. I'm also going to check every time I go that they didn't fry anything else in there that day. Not that I go to BK often, but every now and then I gotta have a french fry.
Elony
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

At BK you're not going to get hidden barley or rye (I've never seen hidden rye anywhere). All you really need to worry about is the wheat.

richard

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

BK is pretty good about accomodating me when I ask for a burger with no bun. They fix it in a small bowl, and make sure there were no crumbs first. My only complaint is that one time, I asked for a regular whopper with no bun, and was charged double for it because it was an Atkins-friendly "meal". You just have to be careful and ask!!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

I should have mentioned that a dedicated fryer can mean different things to different companies. A while back BK used to rotate the oil in their fryers so although nothing but fries were being cooked in their dedicated fryer on a particular day, it could be that the oil was from a fryer that cooked onion rings the day before. The people at headquarters were doing spot checks in different locations to make sure this was not happening, but it was. I have gotten onion rings in my fries there many times, even when told the fryers were dedicated. I think some people just do not know what it means.It is hard because the stores are all independently owned. Anyway, I like McDonalds much better so I did not go to BK much after hearing about this problem. But sometime there are no McDonalds around so I was wondering what other gluten-free people ate there.

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

No matter what any resturant says about gluten-free items, the oil friers are probably the easiest place for gluten-free-foods (ie french fries) to get gluten. Personaly I just do not get deep fried foods while out, have my own frier for that at home. If you do want to risk it, thats fine, but I HIGHLY advise you grill the heck out of them about the oil. Most french fries (I do not know of any expections??) are gluten-free before they get in the oil...

- Vincent -

#7 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Burger King, and all the "Pillsbury?" stores have like the same gluten-free menu for listings.

Burger King
http://www.bk.com/Fo...Info/index.aspx

Taco Bell(this is funny, its like condiments only)
http://www.yum.com/n...allergen_tb.asp

KFC
http://www.yum.com/n...llergen_kfc.asp

A&W
http://www.yum.com/n...allergen_aw.asp

Pizza Hut
http://www.pizzahut....nu/allergen.asp
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#8 carriecraig

carriecraig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:27 AM

Yesterday, I had a Whopper with Cheese and no bun, and french fries. I was so sick last night, and I thought it was the fries, but reading here, we can have them. There must have been cross-contamination in the fryer...

Uuuggghhh...
Carrie
Blood test May 25, 2005
Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005
gluten-free since then...

#9 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:22 AM

Most french fries (I do not know of any expections??) are gluten-free before they get in the oil...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack in The Box fries are dipped in batter.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#10 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:55 AM

Jack in The Box fries are dipped in batter.
Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah... cant say I have ever eaten thier fries... or heck even seen a Jack in box in a long time.....

- Vincent -

#11 drewsant

drewsant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

I was a huge BK eater before I found out I had celiac disease. Now I usually only order fries and diet coke-less calories anyway. They also have garden salads with grilled chicken breast that I've eaten and not gotten sick from. The dressing is gluten-free also, if you get the ranch dressing.

#12 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok! :blink: Its Not checked for Gluten!

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok!

:blink: oh yeah...
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok!  :blink: Its Not checked for Gluten!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm not to sure about that A&W list, they also have popcorn shrimp, and "breaded fish" as not having gluten... hmm

I think I may have to send them an email. Here's the link if anyone else wants to bug them about it too...

http://www.yum.com/c...ct/Checkage.asp
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#15 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not to sure about that A&W list, they also have popcorn shrimp, and "breaded fish" as not having gluten... hmm

I think I may have to send them an email. Here's the link if anyone else wants to bug them about it too...

http://www.yum.com/c...ct/Checkage.asp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm it had me enter my age. I must have entered it wrong, as its telling me I am not old enough to use this webpage. Maybe I need to be over 40...
Gotta find the bad cookie...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: