This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burger King

connole1056

connole1056 Rookie

I was wondering what celiacs have been getting at Burger King recently, and if you would be willing to share that with me. I have not checked in awhile. The website lists food with allergens, but only wheat is a common allergen so I am not sure about the food containing other no-no's for celiac patients. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

The Burger king across the street from my work has a huge poster on the wall listing all thier ingredients and allergens. I have only ordered french fries, after discussing dedicated fryers with the manager. I'm also going to check every time I go that they didn't fry anything else in there that day. Not that I go to BK often, but every now and then I gotta have a french fry.

Elony

lovegrov Collaborator

At BK you're not going to get hidden barley or rye (I've never seen hidden rye anywhere). All you really need to worry about is the wheat.

richard

plantime Contributor

BK is pretty good about accomodating me when I ask for a burger with no bun. They fix it in a small bowl, and make sure there were no crumbs first. My only complaint is that one time, I asked for a regular whopper with no bun, and was charged double for it because it was an Atkins-friendly "meal". You just have to be careful and ask!!

connole1056 Rookie

I should have mentioned that a dedicated fryer can mean different things to different companies. A while back BK used to rotate the oil in their fryers so although nothing but fries were being cooked in their dedicated fryer on a particular day, it could be that the oil was from a fryer that cooked onion rings the day before. The people at headquarters were doing spot checks in different locations to make sure this was not happening, but it was. I have gotten onion rings in my fries there many times, even when told the fryers were dedicated. I think some people just do not know what it means.It is hard because the stores are all independently owned. Anyway, I like McDonalds much better so I did not go to BK much after hearing about this problem. But sometime there are no McDonalds around so I was wondering what other gluten-free people ate there.

VydorScope Proficient

No matter what any resturant says about gluten-free items, the oil friers are probably the easiest place for gluten-free-foods (ie french fries) to get gluten. Personaly I just do not get deep fried foods while out, have my own frier for that at home. If you do want to risk it, thats fine, but I HIGHLY advise you grill the heck out of them about the oil. Most french fries (I do not know of any expections??) are gluten-free before they get in the oil...

grantschoep Contributor

Burger King, and all the "Pillsbury?" stores have like the same gluten-free menu for listings.

Burger King

Open Original Shared Link

Taco Bell(this is funny, its like condiments only)

KFC

A&W

Pizza Hut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

carriecraig Enthusiast

Yesterday, I had a Whopper with Cheese and no bun, and french fries. I was so sick last night, and I thought it was the fries, but reading here, we can have them. There must have been cross-contamination in the fryer...

Uuuggghhh...

elonwy Enthusiast
Most french fries (I do not know of any expections??) are gluten-free before they get in the oil...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack in The Box fries are dipped in batter.

Elonwy

VydorScope Proficient
Jack in The Box fries are dipped in batter.

Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah... cant say I have ever eaten thier fries... or heck even seen a Jack in box in a long time.....

drewsant Rookie

I was a huge BK eater before I found out I had celiac disease. Now I usually only order fries and diet coke-less calories anyway. They also have garden salads with grilled chicken breast that I've eaten and not gotten sick from. The dressing is gluten-free also, if you get the ranch dressing.

Generic Apprentice

A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok! :blink: Its Not checked for Gluten!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok!
:blink: oh yeah...
grantschoep Contributor
A&W list Oreo Cookie toppings and cones to be ok!  :blink: Its Not checked for Gluten!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm not to sure about that A&W list, they also have popcorn shrimp, and "breaded fish" as not having gluten... hmm

I think I may have to send them an email. Here's the link if anyone else wants to bug them about it too...

grantschoep Contributor
Yeah, I'm not to sure about that A&W list, they also have popcorn shrimp, and "breaded fish" as not having gluten... hmm

I think I may have to send them an email. Here's the link if anyone else wants to bug them about it too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm it had me enter my age. I must have entered it wrong, as its telling me I am not old enough to use this webpage. Maybe I need to be over 40...

Gotta find the bad cookie...

connole1056 Rookie

Drewsant, The BK website lists the ranch dressing as having wheat in it, doesn't it? You said the dressing was okay, if you got the ranch. Did I read something wrong or misunderstand you?

Also, I forget who mentioned most fries are gluten-free before going in the fryer, but that is not always true. A few years ago, BK actually had breaded fries that were awesome!!!!!!!! They were then discountinued and the regular fries were reintroduced. In addition to that trial at BK there are quite a few restaurants that have battered fries, so please be sure to ask so you do not get into trouble!

But, back to BK-are the regular burgers gluten-free when ordered without the bun? The list I looked at had most of the burgers low carb, but did not list wether or not the smaller burgers were gluten-free without the bun.

And how do people know the food is okay unless wheat is listed??????

THANKS!!!

• 1 month later...
sonjaf Rookie

My family loves BK, and I gave in one night and let them go through the drive through, thinking I would eat something later at home. But I ended up getting their garden salad, and added my own dressing at home later. I was wonderful. Of course, don't we all eat salad all the time if there is no other choice??? :P

I don't think the fries would be safe. Too many times my family gets them and ends up with a bonus onion ring in it.

And since when are oreo's safe? They are most definitely NOT gluten-free.

sonjaf

• 4 years later...
TeacherInTexas Newbie

Burger King changed their menu allergens....what is now in the tendergrill salads....do not eat them.......I was getting glutenated for awhile and checked their website.....it now says that the salads have wheat.

Juliebove Rising Star

Burger King changed their menu allergens....what is now in the tendergrill salads....do not eat them.......I was getting glutenated for awhile and checked their website.....it now says that the salads have wheat.

That's not good! We never got those but I did get a piece of chicken for my daughter. It used to be gluten-free. Guess I should check the menu again.

Archived