2 replies to this topic

#1 astrologer50

astrologer50

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

I've just had blood results that show anemia, but went gluten free for 1week now. Have had horrible few months. Exhausted, hardly just getting up/dressed/washed. Months of serious flatuence, headaches and nausea. Finally, symptoms got so bad, starting vomiting, as if my food/body refused to accept food at all. About six months ago started with asthma age 54, everything gone downhill since. Every couple months they double my meds, had 1 asthma attack, vomiting. Also have ongoing migraine,plus compressed disc in kneck affecting nerve endings.

Eggs and cheese can be migraine triggers, but cheese is not so bad now. Doc wants to send me for tests. He put me on iron tablets and said it may take 3-4months to feel better. They want to find out what is making me anemic by putting a camera down my throat and taking a biopsy for celiac - which would mean taking bread beforehand for a while to show up in tests.

within 2-3days of going gluten free, my GI/flatulence gone, nausea gone, headaches radically reduced. So am happy to stay on this although it's going to cost a fortune.

Sourdough bread seems to keep coming up as a good idea. I love bread, cakes and biscuits, but since going gluten free, the substitute bread seems a lot more filling so you eat less of it. I put on over 2stone this last six months to. is sudden weight gain normal?

Am thinking of doing a hair test for intolerances, to idenitfy things properly, any thoughts on this?

My doc gave my some peppermint oil tablets to try 1/2hour before food, which seem to help. also I'm taking the Acidophilus

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just remember you have to be eating gluten for at least 2 months prior to testing for celiac. Tests are not real reliable so if they come back negative don't worry. You can go on a gluten-free diet yourself to see if your condition improves. I have a feeling buyt your symptoms that gluten is the problem and I think you will be surprised what happens when you get off and stay off.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 astrologer50

astrologer50

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

Just remember you have to be eating gluten for at least 2 months prior to testing for celiac. Tests are not real reliable so if they come back negative don't worry. You can go on a gluten-free diet yourself to see if your condition improves. I have a feeling buyt your symptoms that gluten is the problem and I think you will be surprised what happens when you get off and stay off.

I don't think I can put my body through that again, I was soooo ill to the point of vomiting..I thought just a week or two would be enough to show up. I feel 100% better just after a week on gluten free. It does seem very common to have anemia pre diagnosis from what I've read on here and internet.

What do most people do about bread? do you bake your own? what do you think about gluten free sourdough bread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: