Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Low Vitamin D And Iron - Nausea Connection?

9 posts in this topic

I have been feeling nauseous for awhile. I found out today I have low Vitamin D. I took some D3 and my nausea went away. I haven't found nausea listed as a symptom of low Vitamin D anywhere.

My ferritin is on the low end of normal so I'm supplementing with iron too. Just took that. I took the two of them separately in case they bothered my tummy.

Did anyone else have nausea with either of these being low? I want the nausea to go away! I hate it.

(I'm not getting glutened. I have zero gluten in my house including my soaps and shampoos, etc. )

Ads by Google:

My morning nausea has improved, nearly subsided since supplementing Vitamin D3 after a low lab result in Vit. D. I like the drops, BTW. You just stick a drop on a teaspoon and lick it off, or you can stick a drop in any liquid you have in the morning.

I've never seen medical articles correlating nausea & Vitamin D defficiency though.

I get a bout of C when I supplement iron, had to go with iron free multivitamin. Good luck, sandsurf! I hate nausea too, but I've always been prone to it, even before having an issue with gluten.

I had nausea after STARTING iron and D (I am low on both) but it has subsided.

My doc is prescribing Vitamin D in a high dose for 4 weeks. The nausea has been pretty mild until Sunday. There's a virus going around, so I'm wondering if I got mildly sick. I've been tired and feeling blah, plus the bad nausea. I am testing for Cushings now and there is a tumor on my adrenal gland that may need surgery. So that complicates things too.

Wow, you're going through so much, wishing you the best!

Wow, you're going through so much, wishing you the best!

Thanks Marilyn. This is such a difficult time for me. Today was particularly bad because I felt so sick and a very close friend died yesterday unexpectedly. Almost 2 years ago I got diagnosed celiac and was sick for 6 months before I started really feeling good. I had a good run and then about 7 weeks ago got very sick because my hormones were out of whack. Spent 10 days in the hospital and they found which hormones were wacky and the adrenal tumor. I want off this roller coaster!

I'm glad to hear Vitamin D can help with nausea. It seemed to help earlier and the nausea came back tonight. Maybe the high dose prescription one will be better when I take it tomorrow.

I have seen medical studies linking nausea and low Vitamin D, I know someone after nausea for months, they found her level was only 0.17 the lowest they could read in the range!

I was found to be severly deficient in April, and it took me a solid 2 weeks of 70,000 units a week before I started to feel serious relief from my symptoms (extreme fatigue). I also dropped 9 pounds like it was nothing, after struggling with weight loss! Good Luck! I know even now if I stop supplementing for 1 week the fatigue creeps back. But am now just starting the gluten free diet also.

Dear Sandsurf,

Sorry I haven't checked this thread for a few days. So sorry to learn of your loss.

I just wanted to mention that from what I've researched, Vitamin D1 doesn't really help, but D3 does. Some old school doctors prescribe D1. I thought I'd mention that...and hope you're feeling betting soon.

Hugs! (( ))

I've been on doctor prescribed vitamin D and iron pills for a while. I get nauseous after I get glutened. I wonder if it's because my body can't absorb the supplements because of the gluten? I don't know. But the Vitamin D and iron have really helped with my fatigue and my mood.