arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Help For Those Who Can't Take Dapsone.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:40 AM

I went to my dermatologist about 2 weeks ago, and she started me on a new regimine that is supposed to help with breakouts the way that dapsone does.

I'm taking 500mg of tetracycline and 500mg of nicotinamide twice a day. Today is the first day that I think I have evidence that it is actually working. I think I got glutened a little last night, and I HAVEN'T broken out! I have some spots that are a tad itchy, and there are some faint bumps but NO blisters and NO severe itching.

Hopefully this stuff really works to contain breakouts, that would be great.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Janelson

Janelson

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:38 AM

I went to my dermatologist about 2 weeks ago, and she started me on a new regimine that is supposed to help with breakouts the way that dapsone does.

I'm taking 500mg of tetracycline and 500mg of nicotinamide twice a day. Today is the first day that I think I have evidence that it is actually working. I think I got glutened a little last night, and I HAVEN'T broken out! I have some spots that are a tad itchy, and there are some faint bumps but NO blisters and NO severe itching.

Hopefully this stuff really works to contain breakouts, that would be great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the first time I broke out in that rash on my ankles! I didn't even notice it until one night I just say a little red rash and I looked closer I say little blisters. It doesn't itch or anything but I thought it was so weird! I didn't even know much about it until I finally came on here and looked it up! Well anyways I hope your new medication works!!!!

#3 Connie37

Connie37

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:47 PM

the cream triamcinolone acetonide usp 0.1% is helpfull. This is not an instant cure, but it is good. I hope your meds do the trick. Nicotina is a beautiful plant, I wonder if that med comes from that plant.

God Bless You,
Connie

#4 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Connie, I was using triamcinolone before but recently I was given clobesterol (sp?). It's similar, but stronger and it works MUCH better for me. If your stuff ever seems like it's not working anymore I would try the clobesterol.

Nicotina is one of my favorites, the blossoms are so fragrant. I don't know if it's related or not. Nicotinamide is just vitamin B3, but maybe that is the source. Interesting if it was...

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

#5 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:11 PM

Carolyn,

I'm using Clobetasol too and I love it! But I'm not off gluten yet, waiting on more tests.... In any case, I read the insert for the Embeline brand I have and it says not to use it for more than two weeks at a time. Well that isn't very helpful for me since if I stop using it my scalp dermatitis comes right back. I called the pharmacy and they said it's fine to keep using it continuously but I don't want to make myself sick. It is a steriod after all. What has been your experience/time of use with it?

Tiffany
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#6 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

I actually rarely use the steroid cream. That tetracycline + B3 works so well that my DH doesn't really break out anymore. I do use it occasionally for pompholyx (sp? hand eczema).

But if it makes you feel any better, I used the triamcinolone (different steroid cream) for 2 straight years nearly every single day with no ill effects.

Carolyn

- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: