50 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

There's one person I know who is actually being sarcastic about me having Celiac! This person has a relative who, according to her, seems to have every disease there is. So, when I was excited to be able to eat a co-worker's soup she made for us, this person sarcastically asked me "Is it GLUTEN FREE??" I asked her why she acts this way about it and if she didn't believe I had it...so she said it's because of her relative. I told her I wasn't her relative and that it is a serious disease! I also told her she was lucky she didn't have it!
People are so weird sometimes. I try not to talk about celiac too much...but if I ask someone if their food is safe to eat...and it is...I am going to be happy!!
I think some people think being gluten free is a fad and they relaly have no clue about what it is! I want to refer this person to this site...but I am sure she won't get it or believe any of it.

Thanks for letting me vent. Does anyone know people who act like that and think it's a joke? I am not speaking to this person much anymore...it's so upsetting. I am not trying to get attention or something...I do have to talk about it now and then!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Yup. People are idiots. There is probably going to be worse behaviour for you to endure.
The "just a little bit" pushing gluten in your face. The devious ones that try and "test" your reaction to gluten by putting crumbs intentionally in your food. People who think it's a fad diet.
Michigan

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, my Dad is like that. It really grates me. He will sarcastically say to me while I am eating something "Are you sure that's gluten free" or when I make meals for them he'll ask me if he can "have a side of gluten." Ignorant behavior, even if he is my father. I just wish he would go gluten free(I think he has celiac too), but that is a lost cause. He's happy taking all of his pills.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

I was at a wedding just over a year ago, and was offered to split a brownie. In his defense, they had no idea, but my friend said "No! No no no! She's gonna get really sick!" And his girlfriend then rolled her eyes and said to him "She has celiac" and glared at me. I have no idea why she was so freaking snarky about it.

People just don't understand how serious it really is, and if they want to be remain ignorant about it, that's their choice. It's not easy not to let them bother you, but at the same time, they're not worth getting upset over.
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#5 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

I have a feeling most people who don't have celiac think people who do have celiac are just pests who are picky about their food.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#6 DerpTyler

DerpTyler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have a feeling most people who don't have celiac think people who do have celiac are just pests who are picky about their food.

YES I 100% agree with you. I hardly even mention it to people at school unless they directly ask me. But I think I see where this illusion comes from. I see it alot on tv, they always seem to have the most geekiest kid in school always complaining that gluten doesnt sit well with him and the audience always seems to think its hilarious -_-

#7 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think it is a growing fad for some people and I think that's part of the reason it is not getting the proper view from some, it's kind of like a "yeah, yeah, yeah whatever" attitude, like it is something that's going to pass, like we have a choice. In our case it is not about a matter of choice and that's what they are clueless about.

I was at dinner the other night with friends and I have learned to ask questions regardless. I am not the type who likes all the attention drawn to myself but I am doing everything to prevent from getting sick again. After the waiter left the table, one of my friends said, "Oh that's right I forgot." The other asked me how it was going for me. I could have taken that several different ways but I decided that she meant the best for me and that was the end of the conversation about gluten. This friend happens to have a very sensative stomach, can't eat this and that but I'll keep my mouth shut in this case.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#8 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

My dad, whenever we're out at restaurants and he orders after my gluten-free order, will tell the server, "and give me all of her gluten" or "and plenty of gluten for me please" or something like that. But this is the same dad who carefully wraps my food on the grill in foil and remembers to use separate plates and forks to handle it and makes sure not a single drop of grease from soy-filled sausages ends up in it. I think in this case what he's doing is making sure the server knows that I'm the only gluten-free one? idk. He's silly. He did get himself tested and was negative.

I have another friend who talks about bread like every time I talk to him, and says things like, "I need gluten" and when I say why "because it's yummy." and so on. Then when I make some comment about gluten or bread being "evil," HE gets offended. yeah.

whatevs. Best to just let it roll offa ya.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#9 ladymiss

ladymiss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

i know i shouldn't be, but i'm surprised that people don't read. it seems that those who are determined to believe that having gluten intolerance or celiac is a fad or some form of hypochondria , they have not and/or will not educate themselves about it. frustrating!
Lactose Intolerant 2004, Gluten Intolerant 2010
Negative blood test for Celiac 2011, but incomplete testing....
All recent: Soy, casein and egg sensitive. Peanut and Shellfish allergy.
Still learning about what all this means....

Barn's burnt down-
now
I can see the moon.
Masahide, Japanese poet, 1657? – 1723

#10 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

One of my roommates has celiac in her family and is likely celiac herself, but she gives me the most trouble of any of my friends. She talks about going gluten-free like you would about not drinking soda or avoiding sweets. Every time I pass up a treat offered by someone who forgets I can't eat it, this roomie says something like, "What, are you scared? It's just a little." For her if the majority of the ingredients are gluten-free ("Barley's only one of the 20 ingredients") then I'm just being picky. I didn't find out until just last month that the celiacs in her family are the type who think the pain and illness is "worth a bite or two".

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

One of my roommates has celiac in her family and is likely celiac herself, but she gives me the most trouble of any of my friends. She talks about going gluten-free like you would about not drinking soda or avoiding sweets. Every time I pass up a treat offered by someone who forgets I can't eat it, this roomie says something like, "What, are you scared? It's just a little." For her if the majority of the ingredients are gluten-free ("Barley's only one of the 20 ingredients") then I'm just being picky. I didn't find out until just last month that the celiacs in her family are the type who think the pain and illness is "worth a bite or two".

You'll notice this isn't about you, it's about HER.

I really think that's what is behind a majority of these sarcastic reactions.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

You'll notice this isn't about you, it's about HER.

I really think that's what is behind a majority of these sarcastic reactions.

Prickly, you are so right about this and that's what we have to keep in mind!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#13 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

I have a cousin who likes to call me a freak because of my wheat allergy. I wonder if she would call a person with a cat or dog allergy a freak??? All other allegies are so readily accepted without question or scrutiny. But wheat is a whole different matter. It is totally questioned and scrutinized. Sadly, all I have to do is whip out my epi-pens and they become (scared)believers. Scared because I teach them how to use my epi-pen "just in case" and it SCARES the crap out of them! However, I want the people around me to know how to use it, it is my best defense against death by anaphylactic shock.
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#14 SoyBoy

SoyBoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I offer folks like this (those that I insist eat soy or those that roll their eyes) the “soy challenge”.

The “soy challenge” works like this…

I will eat the soy you are trying to feed me if you agree that I can sit on your nice couch (sans pants) or their laps for the two hours following the meal. I’ve never had anyone take me up on my offer, and that usually ends the conversation. Suddenly, they become not so sure of their evaluation of the situation.

Looking forward to the day that someone takes me up on this. It’s gonna get messy, but a point will be made.

Best wishes.

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

I offer folks like this (those that I insist eat soy or those that roll their eyes) the “soy challenge”.

The “soy challenge” works like this…

I will eat the soy you are trying to feed me if you agree that I can sit on your nice couch (sans pants) or their laps for the two hours following the meal. I’ve never had anyone take me up on my offer, and that usually ends the conversation. Suddenly, they become not so sure of their evaluation of the situation.

Looking forward to the day that someone takes me up on this. It’s gonna get messy, but a point will be made.

Best wishes.

Please take pictures when someone takes you up on this. . And oh, I hope they wear white clothing and have a white couch!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: