This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sarcasm About Celiac

Kimbalou

Kimbalou Enthusiast

On the other hand, you get situations like I had the other day. There's an older gentleman at work who's old school Italian who commented that I looked great. And I said, yeah, well, it's cause I finally have a handle on my celiac. He started talking about his neuropathy, his balance issues, his headaches, his digestive problems. He's been to a dozen neuros and gastros, and no one has EVER brought up celiac or GI. So I gave him blood test refs and book recs and a few recipes. He said he wished I was his doctor. Worth a million sarcastic comments. Felt like I saved a life. =D

I know what you mean. On one hand, I want to help people in case they have it but they don't know...but then I risk getting treated badly every time I mention it. I do get tired of explaining it, so I will just say "no thanks" from now on...without any explaining.

so, I found out too late that the soup had uncle Ben's wild rice in it...googled it and found out it his hydrolyzed wheat protein in it!! I cannot believe how often wheat shows up in everything, especially boxed stuff. ugh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hungry Hope Newbie

This topic will help me not to take things personal when someone doesn't believe my condition. I was so excited to discover all of my health problems are related to gluten intolerance. When I shared this info with my mother and cousin who also have many symptoms, they insist I'm wrong. I don't understand why it's so impossible that this could be our problem. I feel better and they still don't believe it. I'm 100% positive that my grandmother died (20years ago) due to complications associated with Celiac. Her life would have been so drastically different if she would have known what was wrong with her.

It's frustraiting that my own family won't believe me, tries to talk me out of believing I have Celiac, and won't even explore the fact that this could be why their stomach is always in knots, and they suffer from depression, fatigue and other stuff. My mom rather take laxatives every other day (for years) and anti depressants (that don't work at all) than just simply change her diet.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Just wanted to share something here to give everyone hope...

Last week my neighbor came over and needed a cup of flour. Ironically, I still had a new bag (that I would never use) so i gave him the whole bag, laughed and said "take it, I'll never use it - apparently I have Celiac Disease".

Well, next thing I know his wife comes over with some Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. She put them in a disposable plate, in a freezer bag, with the Betty Crocker label cut out so I could see what they were.

Since im sick and desperate (and I figured it can't be any worse than eating at a restaurant) I've been munching away. So far so good...

So, as you can see not everyone will second guess you or make fun if you or give you a hard time!

SoyBoy Rookie

Last week my neighbor came over and needed a cup of flour. Ironically, I still had a new bag (that I would never use) so i gave him the whole bag, laughed and said "take it, I'll never use it - apparently I have Celiac Disease".

Well, next thing I know his wife comes over with some Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. She put them in a disposable plate, in a freezer bag, with the Betty Crocker label cut out so I could see what they were.

Since im sick and desperate (and I figured it can't be any worse than eating at a restaurant) I've been munching away. So far so good...

So, as you can see not everyone will second guess you or make fun if you or give you a hard time!

Nice story!

notme Experienced

how awesome! what nice neighbors you have :)

beware of cc, though - one of the wonderful women in my bible study group made me a flourless chocolate cake when i was first dx'd and i was very touched and grateful. and sick... i don't know whether she cc'd me (in reality, probably) because i was new and didn't have any knowledge that bakeware/wooden spoons, etc could be contaminated. i don't eat anything anybody makes for me. ("oh, thank you so much! but i just ate a huge meal so do you mind if i put shoes on that and take it home to eat later? it looks so delicious and thank you for thinking of me!") that's just me, though. sounds like you have some stellar and caring people for neighbors. very encouraging!

Carson Newbie

Still dealing with having to tell people as my diagnosis is pretty new. My Mom was the worse, when my aunt said to me "you can't eat this pie as I put a tablespoon of flour in it" my Mom replied "Would that much REALLY hurt you?". I had my Uncle say to me "Umm, you do know we are wheat farmers, don't you?". I also told my boss and her comment was "thank goodness its not anything serious".

My husband's grandmother has been the one person to make me feel like I have some support. She has made me her project, and is constantly finding new ways to make some of our favorite dishes. My mom has since come around and been more supportive, even sending me a link yesterday about where I can buy Udi's in our town because she heard it was good.

It's only been a month since my diagnosis and now my doctor feels I have thyroid disease. I am also in the process of testing my 8 year old daughter and am worried about what she'll have to deal with, so far this is upsetting to her and I don't want her to feel alone, sad or like she is getting a crappy deal. I am being as positive about the "special" food when I am eating it. I guess on the bright side she won't have many many years of sickness before she gets officially diagnosed like I did.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the rude comments hurt me, but I'd rather take them on then having my daughter do it, hopefully as she grows the education to people who do not have a gluten problem will increase and life will be easier for her.

bauerpratt Newbie

If they could see my tummy grow from a size 2/3 jean to the way I look now in only 4-6 hrs.(very prego) they would believe.

I can only wear my night clothes at this point but it will go down. I have had some ask what did you have?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

Oh goodness. I admit I used to be one of those ignorant awful people. My mother was diagnosed after years (probably about 40) of sickness that just got worse and worse and she ended up dropping half her body weigh - she looked like she was in a famine. Anyhow - I remember saying to her one time that I wouldn't care if gluten made me sick - I would never give it up :o ...I used to say that kind of thing to her alot. Anyhow - Karma got me BAD!

Having said that - I think its hard for people to know how bad it can be unless they see it. My friend is Celiac also and one of her closest friends (who we both think may be celiac) was always teasing her and saying things about the gluten-free diet and all that stuff. She never really believed that our friend would get sick, one day she glutened our friend on accident - she never said another bad thing about it because she witnessed hours of projectile vomiting and general yuckiness!

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

This is exactly why I tell no one I have Coeliac and tell them I just like fresh food and gym. Whether you like it or not Coeliac = black-mark against you in anything in life, from jobs to relationships dat dere celiac is a big red stop sign.

Putting up with other peoples ignorance sucks, keep it to yourself works best for me you can always excuse yourself at lunches or get something Gluten-Free without being noticeable and fanatical.

UM fad diets which encourage GLUTEN FREE as a CHOICE are the main propagators of it celiac being seen as a joke or a dietary fad, not a necessity and it annoys me to no end!

Some people believe it or not believe going gree and the grapefruit diet is the same thing :huh:

You generally find the ignorance in the low IQ'S as well so set aside 30 minutes to explain it to them in prep school language if you go down that path.

color-me-confused Explorer

I haven't encountered any such attitudes (yet!). Do men get less crap, snarkiness, and hostility from co-workers, friends, and acquaintances about the gluten-free diet?

tarnalberry Community Regular

I haven't gotten any crap, sarcasm, or I-know-better in the eight years I've been gluten free. I've gotten truly inquisitive "can you have a little bit?" questions, who really want to know the answer and accept the answer of "no", and that's about as crazy as it's gotten for me. I know some of it is my geographic area's culture being more cognizant of this type of issue, the friends and family that I know, and some of it is my attitude towards the whole thing.

Carson Newbie

I recognize that I will run into people who don't understand and act snarky about it, but I really didn't expect that kind of reaction from my own mother! But as I said before, she really has seemed to come around, and I'm sure she'll be even more supportive if my daughter gets diagnosed - grandbabies can change those grandparents like no one else!

sariesue Explorer

how awesome! what nice neighbors you have :)

beware of cc, though - one of the wonderful women in my bible study group made me a flourless chocolate cake when i was first dx'd and i was very touched and grateful. and sick... i don't know whether she cc'd me (in reality, probably) because i was new and didn't have any knowledge that bakeware/wooden spoons, etc could be contaminated. i don't eat anything anybody makes for me. ("oh, thank you so much! but i just ate a huge meal so do you mind if i put shoes on that and take it home to eat later? it looks so delicious and thank you for thinking of me!") that's just me, though. sounds like you have some stellar and caring people for neighbors. very encouraging!

I was president of my college's habitat for humanity group in college. One of the elect board members had celiac, and I offered to make brownies for an elect board meeting. When she said she couldn't have gluten I offered to make gluten free brownies. I asked her if I made them in a disposable pan with a brand new spoon, could she eat them. And she said she could, so that's what I did. And I brought the empty mix box to the meeting to show that I had indeed used a gluten free mix. She did eat them and was delighted at my willingness to include her. I don't know if she got sick from them. I kinda wish I knew because I would feel really bad if even with all the steps I took to make them safe for her she still got sick. Especially since this was when I was just starting to develop a problem with gluten. And didn't know as much about celiac. sorry to digress, but I think that if the right person is making it, things might be safe. But, it also depends on your level of sensitivity.

MJ-S Contributor

This is exactly why I tell no one I have Coeliac and tell them I just like fresh food and gym. Whether you like it or not Coeliac = black-mark against you in anything in life, from jobs to relationships dat dere celiac is a big red stop sign.

Yes, it sucks to tell people, but I can't agree with keeping it a secret. I try not to bring it up but food is a huge part of my office, and I could never just have stopped eating it all without explaining why - people would think I'm rude for not eating their food, nuts, or both. It involved a lot LESS explanation to simply give the real reason and move on. Not to mention that going out to eat, even if it happens very seldom, I'd have to inform the waitstaff so as not to get poisoned.

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

Men get more IMO especially young men. Whether you have a disease or not sitting around the pub with vodka and lime while your 10 peers drink beer is unmanly and undignified and the focus of much gentle ribbing.

Chad Sines Rising Star

If it is a coworker, just file a complaint with HR about someone harassing you about a medical illness. Watch how fast they nip that in the bud to prevent some law suit. Friends and family who do it are not friends or family and are easy to do without. "why don't you visit anymore" "Because you disrespect me for having a medical illness you cannot understand. It seems like you would accept me more if I had cancer or something that made sense to you."

There is just no time in life to deal with these people. No need to waste a nanosecond on the evils of others.

The lesson I learned last year is to remove toxic people from your life. It sure did help a lot.

Chad Sines Rising Star

Men get more IMO especially young men. Whether you have a disease or not sitting around the pub with vodka and lime while your 10 peers drink beer is unmanly and undignified and the focus of much gentle ribbing.

You are right about that. I am not a drinker anyway, but having to constantly reject it and explaining it when they keep pressing for why gets old. Those who know usually mention something about the allergy and some "funny to them comment about it." Honestly do not care. Just think it shows their ignorance.

tennisman Contributor

Have you tried Cider ? There are some really good brands and it kinda looks similar to beer .

tennisman Contributor

In the past I have met many people who have been negative about celiac disease . I once had a chef moan to me about Celiac's being the biggest pain in his life . A few weeks ago I went to a supermarket , I was with my Dad and he asked the person at the fresh chicken place do you have anything gluten free . She said NO nothing is gluten free with a huge smile on her face . I got so angry :(

I had doctors laugh about celiac disease and make jokes :(

At a party , I was talking to someone about having celiac disease and not being able to have beer , later I found them pouring beer on my food .

So many stupid people in the world !

jimmyheard Newbie

Some pretty horrible people out there judging by the stories. Thankfully I haven't encountered any sarcasm from people. I wouldn't tolerate it anyway. All my co-workers have been great about it and I don't mind talking about it with them. Family been great too. I'm sure sarcastic comments would get me down at times but I try not to let coeliac disease get me down anyway. It can be hard at times but in many ways I think of it as a blessing and the kick up the arse I needed to start eating healthier. Don't let them grind you down.

Cathey Apprentice

I'm new 3 & 1/2 weeks. I've been feeling great until we had to attend a Friday night Black Tie affair. Well I got CC (I was so damn careful) and was still suffering on a Monday when my bosses were like "no way". I had to explain again No, I don't choose to be gluten-free it a way of life for me. We have cancelled nights out w/ friends since diagnosis and had them over (I'm in control). I'm so apprehensive to dine out. Please don't let it bother you, explain again what your new life is about.

The only person Educated is you and you are in control. Hopefully you can educate them. I hope the future is bright for you.

Googles Community Regular

What really pissed me off about the reactions I have gotten are from my graduate program. I was told by my adviser that it was inappropriate for me to ask about whether or not I would be able to eat what they were providing at the new student lunch. Even though I didn't ask them to change anything. He said that it was too stressful for them to accommodate everyone's dietary needs. It still pisses me off. I was also questioned this fall if I should be in the field I am in given that I have celiac when I talked to my supervisor at school about how to address the issue with my internship. So this was my bad experiences.

tennisman Contributor

What really pissed me off about the reactions I have gotten are from my graduate program. I was told by my adviser that it was inappropriate for me to ask about whether or not I would be able to eat what they were providing at the new student lunch. Even though I didn't ask them to change anything. He said that it was too stressful for them to accommodate everyone's dietary needs. It still pisses me off. I was also questioned this fall if I should be in the field I am in given that I have celiac when I talked to my supervisor at school about how to address the issue with my internship. So this was my bad experiences.

Too stressful , he should get celiac disease than he would know what stressful dietary needs are . Your adviser must be very annoying . Hope you get things sorted :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

It's not celiac that is the problem here, apparently. Rather, its a rude, self-centered person.

cougie23 Explorer

I know its hurtful...the way people react...but keep in mind, in the last 10 years this desiease has gone from nobody understanding/ hearing about it ,to common topic! more and more people are being diagnosed( instead of misdiagnosed) and more people know about it! My local icecream man knows about it and so does the mail man! More food is avalible to us...more information...more understanding! Not that I'd wish this on anyone...but this seems to be an epidemic...allmost like evoloution is trying to steer us away from grains! maybe in the distant future we with see a time when gluten is banned because Celiacs becomes so common...(SHUTTER).. :blink::ph34r::blink: ..you never know?!but everyday more and more people become aware..wether they are diagnosed or a friend,coworker,or family member is...more and more people are NOT laughing!!!Like the original AIDS pataince...your just the begining...the world REALLY needs to cut all the CRAP out of our diets...and I'm not JUST talking glution here...there are SO many poisons in our food supply! Every day practically you here about an out break of salamonella...or a new virus somewhere....so many places in the world has contaminated water! they laugh now..these ignorent ones...someday they won't be laughing!!!Especially if the FDA gets involved or they're cradling a horribly fraile sick child or granchild in their arms ..I don't think it will be so funny then! :huh::(

Just food for thought next time someone is mean to you...look around people...this is an epedemic...just the fact that you can now go in to your local grocery chain and find gluten free food easily..for god sake...betty crocker makes gluten free cake mix and now bisquick has a gluten free version...SOMETHINGS going on!!!! I'm telling you...in a few more years...they won't be laughing!!! :blink:

In the mean time...hang in there...and just shake your head and pity them for their ignorance...Karma has a funny way of catching up with people!!! :unsure::rolleyes:B)

(speaking of Karma...I knew a guy that used to bully me and several others in elementry school..1st thru 5th grade...I ran in to him 30 years later..didn't tell him who I was...but I knew it was him! HE was bald and had 4 young daughters...LOL...yeah...Karmas a Bitch!!!

I could tell he was a lot kinder after being a DADDY than he ever was on the play ground...he's probably VERY protective of those little girls...LOL!!!) :D:D :D

Just some FOOD for thought...LOL :rolleyes:

Archived