50 replies to this topic

#16 catsmeow

catsmeow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Please take pictures when someone takes you up on this. . And oh, I hope they wear white clothing and have a white couch!

And they NOT allowed to plug their noses!!!!! :P
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

wow. that was really kind of gross. funny, but gross.
I like this topic. It points out that we all have a job to raise awareness. Even if its just to our closest friends and family.
I'll happily take the ridicule from friends and coworkers and try to shake it off if it means that I won't get poisoned in the process. I won't lie and say it doesn't bother me at times. I just try not to wear it like a cross or burden.

#18 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

wow. that was really kind of gross. funny, but gross.
I like this topic. It points out that we all have a job to raise awareness. Even if its just to our closest friends and family.
I'll happily take the ridicule from friends and coworkers and try to shake it off if it means that I won't get poisoned in the process. I won't lie and say it doesn't bother me at times. I just try not to wear it like a cross or burden.

So true. I take every opportunity to educate people on the use of an Epi-Pen. I think that maybe somewhere, someday down the line, they might come across a person who is having a reaction, and will remember what I taught them and act accordingly. Maybe it will save a life someday....Awareness and education are crucial. :)
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#19 jswog

jswog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

My dad, whenever we're out at restaurants and he orders after my gluten-free order, will tell the server, "and give me all of her gluten" or "and plenty of gluten for me please" or something like that. But this is the same dad who carefully wraps my food on the grill in foil and remembers to use separate plates and forks to handle it and makes sure not a single drop of grease from soy-filled sausages ends up in it. I think in this case what he's doing is making sure the server knows that I'm the only gluten-free one? idk. He's silly. He did get himself tested and was negative.

My husband does that. But, like your dad, he's the one who's the first to speak up to the server about things needing to be gluten free and how to do it. He's also always very conscious of cc at home. He is most definately my biggest supporter anywhere, but he is the type of person to always be joking around. He does not do it in a way that is in any way disrespectful. Maybe it's just to lighten the mood a bit after such an in-dept conversation about how to make sure mine is gluten free. IDK, but I don't get offended at all. I just roll my eyes (but then I do that a lot with him...).

#20 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I offer folks like this (those that I insist eat soy or those that roll their eyes) the “soy challenge”.

The “soy challenge” works like this…

I will eat the soy you are trying to feed me if you agree that I can sit on your nice couch (sans pants) or their laps for the two hours following the meal. I’ve never had anyone take me up on my offer, and that usually ends the conversation. Suddenly, they become not so sure of their evaluation of the situation.

Looking forward to the day that someone takes me up on this. It’s gonna get messy, but a point will be made.

Best wishes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#21 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

I've been gluten-free for over 8 years now and I've reached a point where I just refuse to talk to people about it (unless someone comes to me wanting help with a gluten-free dietary issue). I don't feel that talking about it for the first 8 years raised any awareness. It just made my life more difficult and caused a lot of rude questions and comments that I don't feel like listening to anymore.

I'm in a new city with new friends, so if it starts to come up I just tell people (including friends whom I see regularly) that I have a medical condition that restricts my diet and I'm not comfortable talking about it. I also explicitly specify that my issue is not an eating disorder. To that people say, "Oh I understand," and drop the issue. It's really quite easy. I should mention this new rule of mine only applies when I'm in the US, and not other places where people have much different cultural attitudes toward food and eating.

I know other people might have different views of our obligation to raise awareness, but I can raise awareness in other ways, and this is really working for me so far. I should also mention I don't ever, ever, ever want or expect other people to provide me with food in any sort of context (I can understand it might be necessary to mention gluten in a situation where you would). Just a new approach I thought I'd share, in case others want to try it...
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#22 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have a cousin who likes to call me a freak because of my wheat allergy. I wonder if she would call a person with a cat or dog allergy a freak??? All other allegies are so readily accepted without question or scrutiny. But wheat is a whole different matter. It is totally questioned and scrutinized. Sadly, all I have to do is whip out my epi-pens and they become (scared)believers. Scared because I teach them how to use my epi-pen "just in case" and it SCARES the crap out of them! However, I want the people around me to know how to use it, it is my best defense against death by anaphylactic shock.

I really don't understand why people can't look at it like other serious allergies. Peanuts get a lot of attention; everyone instantly puts away anything containing peanuts with little or no complaint when asked to by someone with a serious allergy. Peanut, animal, medication-allergies rarely get the eye roll, so why gluten?

#23 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

I offer folks like this (those that I insist eat soy or those that roll their eyes) the “soy challenge”.

The “soy challenge” works like this…

I will eat the soy you are trying to feed me if you agree that I can sit on your nice couch (sans pants) or their laps for the two hours following the meal. I’ve never had anyone take me up on my offer, and that usually ends the conversation. Suddenly, they become not so sure of their evaluation of the situation.

Looking forward to the day that someone takes me up on this. It’s gonna get messy, but a point will be made.

Best wishes.

LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh!! I think I will try that line sometime!!

So...today I was horribly sick with watery diarrhea...yeah I admit it. I think it was the soup at work...that was supposedly safe. This person is an expert cook and knows what gluten is...but I won't be eating any soup at work anymore. I can't think of anything else I ate that would make me sick like that. :(
My kids sometimes make fun of the gluten thing...but to have an older adult in the medical field actually tease you about it is not OK in my book.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#24 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

There are rude people everywhere unfortunately. I really don't talk much about eating gluten free to people, with the exception of family and close friends. I just don't feel like explaining it or subjecting myself to any of that. There have been times that I have been offered cookies or some other gluteny item, and I just say, no thanks. No explanation needed, nobody asked me why not? I bet that the people that were rude to you about gluten are probably rude to others about different things, they are just rude in general.

#25 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

On the other hand, you get situations like I had the other day. There's an older gentleman at work who's old school Italian who commented that I looked great. And I said, yeah, well, it's cause I finally have a handle on my celiac. He started talking about his neuropathy, his balance issues, his headaches, his digestive problems. He's been to a dozen neuros and gastros, and no one has EVER brought up celiac or GI. So I gave him blood test refs and book recs and a few recipes. He said he wished I was his doctor. Worth a million sarcastic comments. Felt like I saved a life. =D

#26 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

On the other hand, you get situations like I had the other day. There's an older gentleman at work who's old school Italian who commented that I looked great. And I said, yeah, well, it's cause I finally have a handle on my celiac. He started talking about his neuropathy, his balance issues, his headaches, his digestive problems. He's been to a dozen neuros and gastros, and no one has EVER brought up celiac or GI. So I gave him blood test refs and book recs and a few recipes. He said he wished I was his doctor. Worth a million sarcastic comments. Felt like I saved a life. =D

I know what you mean. On one hand, I want to help people in case they have it but they don't know...but then I risk getting treated badly every time I mention it. I do get tired of explaining it, so I will just say "no thanks" from now on...without any explaining.
so, I found out too late that the soup had uncle Ben's wild rice in it...googled it and found out it his hydrolyzed wheat protein in it!! I cannot believe how often wheat shows up in everything, especially boxed stuff. ugh
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#27 Hungry Hope

Hungry Hope

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

This topic will help me not to take things personal when someone doesn't believe my condition. I was so excited to discover all of my health problems are related to gluten intolerance. When I shared this info with my mother and cousin who also have many symptoms, they insist I'm wrong. I don't understand why it's so impossible that this could be our problem. I feel better and they still don't believe it. I'm 100% positive that my grandmother died (20years ago) due to complications associated with Celiac. Her life would have been so drastically different if she would have known what was wrong with her.

It's frustraiting that my own family won't believe me, tries to talk me out of believing I have Celiac, and won't even explore the fact that this could be why their stomach is always in knots, and they suffer from depression, fatigue and other stuff. My mom rather take laxatives every other day (for years) and anti depressants (that don't work at all) than just simply change her diet.

#28 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:08 AM

Just wanted to share something here to give everyone hope...

Last week my neighbor came over and needed a cup of flour. Ironically, I still had a new bag (that I would never use) so i gave him the whole bag, laughed and said "take it, I'll never use it - apparently I have Celiac Disease".

Well, next thing I know his wife comes over with some Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. She put them in a disposable plate, in a freezer bag, with the Betty Crocker label cut out so I could see what they were.

Since im sick and desperate (and I figured it can't be any worse than eating at a restaurant) I've been munching away. So far so good...

So, as you can see not everyone will second guess you or make fun if you or give you a hard time!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#29 SoyBoy

SoyBoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Last week my neighbor came over and needed a cup of flour. Ironically, I still had a new bag (that I would never use) so i gave him the whole bag, laughed and said "take it, I'll never use it - apparently I have Celiac Disease".

Well, next thing I know his wife comes over with some Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. She put them in a disposable plate, in a freezer bag, with the Betty Crocker label cut out so I could see what they were.

Since im sick and desperate (and I figured it can't be any worse than eating at a restaurant) I've been munching away. So far so good...

So, as you can see not everyone will second guess you or make fun if you or give you a hard time!

Nice story!

#30 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

how awesome! what nice neighbors you have :)

beware of cc, though - one of the wonderful women in my bible study group made me a flourless chocolate cake when i was first dx'd and i was very touched and grateful. and sick... i don't know whether she cc'd me (in reality, probably) because i was new and didn't have any knowledge that bakeware/wooden spoons, etc could be contaminated. i don't eat anything anybody makes for me. ("oh, thank you so much! but i just ate a huge meal so do you mind if i put shoes on that and take it home to eat later? it looks so delicious and thank you for thinking of me!") that's just me, though. sounds like you have some stellar and caring people for neighbors. very encouraging!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: