10 replies to this topic

#1 cougie23

cougie23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

I LOVE SWEET POTATOE FRIES!!! Can anyone tell me how to make them (BAKED) from scratch?
Do I boil them first? slice them then boil? slice and bake? coat them first(in what?)How long do I bake them?
PLEEEEEEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!! I want to make sweet potatoe fries! :P :P :P
Oh..and any seosoning segestions...I'm allergic to fresh rosemary and basil...dried isn't as bad but something as a subsitute would be nicer! I'd rather not take a chance with a tummy ache! :blink: :rolleyes: :P
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Ore ida sells them , gluten free & yummy
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Here you go.

1/2 teaspoon(s) Ground Cumin 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt1/4 teaspoon(s) Ground Red Pepper1 tablespoon(s) Vegetable Oil..2 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) Sweet Potatoes

Directions
Prepare the sweet potatoes: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel potatoes, cut each in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 6 wedges. In a large bowl, combine the cut potatoes, oil, and spice mixture. Toss until potatoes are evenly coated.
Bake the fries: On a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in a single layer and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake until edges are crisp and potatoes are cooked through -- about 30 minutes.

#4 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

I just slice them up, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the in the oven (maybe at 350ish). I don't time it so I don't know how long it takes, but you can tell when they're done.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#5 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Yummy Yummy...Thankyou!!! :P :lol: :D
I'm triying to get away from vegtable oil...but I bet coconut oil would taste great!!! Also I heard its great for frying, sauteing, and stir frying...(lower burn rate/ higher heat ...something like that!)also healthier.
But thankyou... I'll get some sweet potatoes this weekend at whole foods! :D
I saw those oridas in passing and asumed they had gluten like everything else...nice to know they're on the SAFE list! LOL :P
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

I saw Rachael Ray make them once. She boils the whole potatoe for about 5-6 minutes. I do that now. They are so much easier to cut. They aren't mushy, just not as hard as raw. I coat with olive oile. Put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet (cause I'm lazy about clean-up). Sprinkle with a little salt. Cook at about 400F until done. I like to cut them in little half or quarter circles about 1/4 inch thick.
when they are done, I sprinkle with cinnamon.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

If you aren't determined to be healthy, try frying them in deep fat like regular French fries. Then sprinkle with a little brown sugar. I suppose that is the Southern way, since we fry everything we possibly can. Anybody want to guess why Mississippi is rated the fattest state?

#8 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

There are several selections of ore ida fries that are gluten free . It will say it right on the side along the bottom edge .
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#9 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

Another simple method: Peel (or don't), cut into strips about 1/4" thick, toss in a bowl with a little olive oil. Add seasonings if you want. Spread on a baking sheet, not overlapping. 10 minutes at 450, then turn them over and give another 10 minutes at 450. The thinner parts get very brown by the end, so you might want to keep an eye on them for the last 5 minutes or reduce the heat a little.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#10 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

I saw Rachael Ray make them once. She boils the whole potatoe for about 5-6 minutes. I do that now. They are so much easier to cut. They aren't mushy, just not as hard as raw. I coat with olive oile. Put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet (cause I'm lazy about clean-up). Sprinkle with a little salt. Cook at about 400F until done. I like to cut them in little half or quarter circles about 1/4 inch thick.
when they are done, I sprinkle with cinnamon.

Well thats what I was thinking...(boiling first)...those things are just so hard and I get a lot of pain in my hands...I allways boil them a little before stirfring them and you absoulutly HAVE to boil if you make hash browns,(theres an Idea..sweey potatoe hash browns....or for Thanksgiving what about making Yam frys with alittle cinimon sugar for a change...ha ha ...like a yam churro...LOL)!
I just wasn't sure if I was supposede to or not...and didn't want to end uo with mash potatoe fries..or MUSH potatoe fries..LOL!!! :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

An old cookbook of mine suggested getting a hot pan with a little olive oil and frying the french fries/sweet potato fries for just a couple minutes before putting them on a cookie sheet and baking them. The pan has to be hot when the s. potatoes are put in, and they get turned once so they have a little crust on the outside. Supposedly, this helps them stay crisper in the oven...I always do them this way, so I don't know if they are crisper like this or not, LOL.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: