28 replies to this topic

#16 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

Here is another version of Pamela's from 2007. This matches up with the ingredient list on the back of the package pretty well (no soy flour in this one) but like previously mentioned, I think it would be fairly forgiving if you needed to swap one flour/starch for another.

Poppi, I'm sure the buttermilk "flour" mentioned in the previous recipe was actually powdered buttermilk which can be found next to the regular powdered milk at the grocery store.

I found this on the Internet--don't remember where--and haven't yet tried it.

Almost-like-Pamela's baking mix:

1 ½ cups Brown Rice Flour,
1 ½ cups White Rice Flour,
2/3 cup powdered Cultured Buttermilk ,
1 cup Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks),
3/4 cup Tapioca Starch,
3/4 cup Sweet Rice Flour,
½ cup Potato Starch,
3 Tablespoons baking powder
2 Tablespoon Baking Soda,
1 tablespoon Sea Salt,
3 tsp Xanthan Gum.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I googled and found a few. Scroll down the pages a bit...

Gluten-Free Goddess:
http://glutenfreegod...day-season.html

Mark's Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdail...ays-to-go-nuts/

Ooh, thank you! She really IS a goddess!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

We have an almond flour crust on the blog linked from my profile.
We used Pamela's with some success at first but then went grain free.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#19 Tira

Tira

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

This is so cool! I love to ccok, but since I discovered I have Celiac, I haven't been able to enjoy food. Because of hubby's job we are on the road all the time. so space is at a priemium esp when we are in small motel rroms and I am limited to a microwave(ugh) a georgeforeman grill, and a crock pot, and an electric skillet. At least I know that when we do get to finally settle, I can come here to get help w/ recipies.
Bless you all!
"Dark nights and cloudy skies are always only temporary.
The sun may not always shine, but it always rises." SP

#20 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Bun-in-a-cup gluten free microwave breads are not only very easy and fast to make, they can be very good because the baking time is so short, so if you have to tweak a recipe, you didn't waste 2 hours and 3 cups of flours or flour alternatives like nutmeals. You can make up little batches of flour mixes in sandwich size ziplocks bags, and then add these dry mixes to a cup in which you've already put the liquid ingredients, stir, and microwave 1.5 to 2 minutes, and you end up with a bun or one to two servings of hot bread.

See this thread here:

Bun in the Bowl

http://www.celiac.co...627#entry680627

This works with other types of gluten free flours, as well. It can even be made without egg, if you use certain types of flour mixtures, such as 1/3 each buckwheat, potato starch, and garbanzo bean. It can also be made "sweeter" like a muffin if you add more sweeteners, and flavored with orange or lemon peel and juice, or extracts. Also good with anise, caraway, or poppyseeds.

#21 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

I finally tries the Sonoma Cup-4-Cup. I made an apple pie. For the crust I used my old, non- gluten-free recipe (2 c. flour, 2/3 c shortening, 5-7 T ice water.)It is the best crust since giving up gluten. It is fairly flakey, not gritty and the dough was really easy to work with. It is a REAL pie!

I'm going to try biscuits next, I think I may be in liove.

#22 AMom2010

AMom2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Just curious, what flours are in the cup 4 cup?

#23 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm also a convert to Cup 4 Cup flour. I don't bake a lot, but I have had so many bad experiments that went right into the trash with other pre-blended or my own flour mixes that I'm more than happy to pay for Cup 4 Cup.

And what it gives you that other flour mixes do not - it's not gritty. AT ALL. There is rice flour in there, but when you're working with it (I've made fried chicken and cupcakes so far) it's not at all gritty, it feels just like soft, fluffy, wheat flour. It's also made for less grit in my dishwasher (even when I think I fully rinse things that used regular or sweet rice flour, I swear, that stuff still ends up gritting up my dishes for days).

I'm so excited to try some cookies for Christmas this year. And to be able to flip to any recipe in a magazine and say "I want to make THOSE" and be able to do it.

#24 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

I am going to try making cheese straws (something I have REALLY missed) with cup-4-cup and see how that goes. The other flours I have tried turned out gritty and crumbly. If this works, cut out cookies will be next.

#25 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hate to keep harping on this (and NO, I do not work for that company), but today I made really good cheese straws using my old recipe. I made no changes except used Cup-4-Cup flour. Whoopee! Cut out cookies will be next!

#26 lemontree1

lemontree1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I've only tried a couple flour blends. I can't stand Bob's Red Mill, and neither can the rest of the family. However, we really like Sun Flour Mills All Purpose Flour. They seem to be a pretty new company, and local to the Pacific Northwest. Their mix makes an excellent bread.

#27 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Any idea what to sub for the buttermilk powder to make the Pamela's mix blend dairy free? I'd prefer to use regular ingredients rather than a processed product I'd have to specially purchase.

#28 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Personally, I would just leave it out all together, but when making something with it, I would sub your alternative milk (rice milk, almond milk, whatever) for the water component in the recipe.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#29 clogger69

clogger69

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I just made a lemon meringue pie using the cup4cup flour using same recipe(2c flour,2/3 shortening,1t of salt, 5-7 ice water), and I swear it is the best thing I have ate since being dx almost 3 years ago. The crust was delicious. I have only done two other pies and was not crazy about the crust. I am 71 and really missed doing the family pies! I got a free shipping deal, but still, $19.99 for 3lb of flour, but it was worth it. I spent a hour watching you-tube videos on how to roll gluten-free crust:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: