6 replies to this topic

#1 Katrala

Katrala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Before my diagnosis my husband would occasionally make these wonderful bread bowls and would stuff them with sausage, peppers, pasta, and (homemade) alfredo sauce. They were always amazing and we haven't had them since going gluten-free and decided to give them a shot today.

I used the typical bread recipe I use (found here on the boards) and baked it in Pyrex dishes. I ended up reducing the time I normally cook by about 10 minutes. I did notice that, while the bread rose before baking as normal, it did not rise any during baking and actually condensed a little. Fortunately, this didn't hurt the final product!

The only thing I'd change next time is allowing the bread to rise a little more before baking.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Excellent! The variety can be endless! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

That looks delicious! If you wouldn't mind, I'd love more instructions. Did you use Chebe mix?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

That looks delicious! If you wouldn't mind, I'd love more instructions. Did you use Chebe mix?

I used a recipe I found here on the boards.

I think it's done with King Arthur, but I always use 2 parts rice flour to 2/3 part potato starch to 1/3 part tapioca starch.

1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1.5 cups warm water

(combine above and let proof while you are mixing rest)

2.5 cups flour
2 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp salt

(combine dry stuff above in mixer)

3 eggs
1.5 tbsp oil (I use coconut oil)
1 tsp cider vinegar

(combine above 3, whisking until foamy)

Add dry to wet. Beat 4 minutes-ish.

Let rise until at top of pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes (I did 50 here.)
Peanut Allergy

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thank you Katrala! I've held off on buying the xanthum gum, but I guess I need to do it. How was your Halloween party?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 jswog

jswog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

What did you put inside? Still the same ingredients? What is the recipe for the homemade alfredo sauce?

#7 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

I'm not sure the ingredients for the Alfredo. I know Parmesan cheese. My husband makes it.

We put bell peppers, Italian sausage, Alfredo, pasta, abs topped with mozzarella before baking a little.
Peanut Allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: