12 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

ADD. I'm 30 years old. And then when I said something to my mom about it, she says "oh yeah, they told me you had that in preschool....". OMG. Information that would have been so useful much earlier in my life.

Anyone else with ADD?
Gluten free since 10/1/10
3 year old gluten free since 10/16/10
Diagnosed with IBS in 2000
Appeared on the Dr.Phil Show 9/23/10
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance
Labs drawn on 10/16/10 waiting on results
10 pounds and 15 inches off so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

I think a lot of people with celiac disease have add related to poor compliance with diet because I literally thought I had schiZophrenia I was going so crazy before I tried a gluten free diet and I got off Ativan vyvanse lamictal ad Zoloft all to keep me from crying randomly or screaming at my husband
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#3 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

I have ADD, I was dx'd when I was 5 and continue to test positive for it almost 20 years later. It runs in my family, my dad has it, I have it and my younger sister have it. However, with medication I have no problems. The thing with ADD meds and really all psych meds is that if the first one doesn't work to try another. The nonstimulant ADD med guanificine was like taking a sugar pill for me but meds like ritalin and currently vyvanse work very well. If you do choose to take medication for ADD consider the once a day ones. I took ritatlin 3 times a day for my whole childhood and it sucked. I and my parents would sometimes forget to give me the meds so the first dose would be completely out of my system before the new one kicked in.

#4 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I'm scared to take anything.
started working with Dr.Phil's nurtitionist and he discovered the gluten/dairy intolerance

#5 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

I exclusively breastfed both my kids. Neither of them ever had a bottle or formula and I nursed both of them well into their toddler years. I wasn't diagnosed celiac and I had to take lots of antibiotics, allergy meds and asthma meds, etc. There are a lot of meds you can take safely while breastfeeding. If you need the medication to feel better ask what your options are. There are also cognitive behavioral therapies for ADD so if meds are out for now, you can look into that.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#6 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

If there is some sort of continuum for ADD I am probably somewhere on there. At this point in my life I sort of just cope. My daughter's teachers (she's 8) think I should have her tested for ADD or ADHD but after all the research I've done about everything over the past two years I will not medicate her. I try and manage her behavior with a strict diet, plenty of sleep, and some behavior modification, including behavior modification on my point. It makes sense that if you are malnourished that you will have some ADD issues.

#7 glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

I steers therapy yesterday. She is the one who diagnosed it in one session. I started reading about it. The OCD diagnosis I believe wa wrong. I think it's add.

I just want the brainy fog, follow through, and motivation to improve. Hopefully I can do it without meds. I seem to clear up on anti anxieties. The dr gave me a script for Prozac. Scared to death the take it.

#8 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Then you could try starting with coping skills and reconsider medications once you have weaned your child. I mentioned medications because depending on how severe your symptoms are you may need them to be able to really implement any major coping mechanisms. I know I do. I tried to do coping mechanisms alone and I found I was too disorganized to get organized. But, I don't just lose objects I tend to lose time. Without meds I will sit down to check my email and many hours later realize that what time it is. The good thing about medication treatment is that you always have the ability to reconsider.

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Have a look at GAPS diet. It's supposed to help ADD. I'm having the brain fog/motivation issues too and they are getting better. http://gapsdiet.com/

#10 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

The dr gave me a script for Prozac. Scared to death the take it.

I take Prozac for depression and I really like it. I was taking Zoloft and it stopped working for me. But I definitely understand your hesitation if you're breast feeding. I weaned myself off the zoloft when we began trying to conceive and kept off of it until after I was done breast feeding. I know the doctors will say some medicines are okay, but really how do they know the long-term effects?

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

I had ADHD-like symptoms (never went to get diagnosed for it). When I eliminated my food allergies (which I never knew I had, as i don't get hives) and went to a whole foods diet with little to no gluten-free processed foods, the symptoms went away. They come back when I screw up the diet.

I know that's not the answer for everyone, but keeping a food journal to see if there are any food connections to how you feel, and eating even healthier during pregnancy by going to whole foods, probably couldn't hurt, and might help, yeah?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#12 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Both my kids' ADD/ADHD/dyslexia has been greatly helped by GAPS. My mental health stuff is better, too. I've also used CBT and other techniques over the years. Medication is overrated.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#13 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

I agree with the previous posters about keeping a strict food diary so that you can work out if there is something else at play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: