This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gordon Biersch

uclangel422

uclangel422 Apprentice

My friend is having a birthday party here and I have never been here before. I know that obviously everything with beer is off limits but anyone eaten here before?

Thanks for the help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terri Contributor

I ate there in New Orleans. One of my most fondly remembered meals. They were very helpful and made me a salad with poached salmon on top and then steamed vegetables on top of the salmon. All mixed in with the lettuce. It may sound wierd but the flavor was great and I loved it. It was one of those times when I gave the server my card, who got the manager, who talked to the chef and then came back to me and said "anything on the menu is out, but this is what we can do for you". They couldn't have been nicer. :)

nettiebeads Apprentice

[ It was one of those times when I gave the server my card, who got the manager, who talked to the chef and then came back to me and said "anything on the menu is out, but this is what we can do for you". They couldn't have been nicer. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

terri Contributor

Sure, there are dining cards. You can find many that are free and you can laminate, or buy the ones I found work best. They are triumph dining cards and they have them for every kind of ethnic food you can think of. They are written in the language that applies, for example, the thai card is written on one side in English and the other side in thai and targets the type of foods served in a thai restaurant saying what you can and cannot eat. It addresses cross contamination and is all around a great card and not expensive at all. Their website is www.triumphdining.com . Some people make their own cards, especially those with additional food intolerances not covered on the standard cards. If you want an example of what to write yourself, go to www.gluten free.com and search under restaurant card.

nettiebeads Apprentice

THANKS! Even though I feel pretty savvy dealing with celiac disease when I eat out, every little bit to reduce the possibility of being glutenated helps! I love this forum!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I was a bartender at GB.

They use the beer in many sauces and salad dressings (yes, beer is used in some of the salad dressings :)

Having said that, I used to have the NY strip w/ mashed potatoes (no gravy). They can also do a green salad with veggies (no croutons) and oil and vinegar on the side.

Also, call ahead and ask the chef about the gluten content of:

1. Chicken Marsala (over mashers)

2. Half Roasted Chicken

3. Ahi Tuna (with mashers substituted)

4. Salmon (no marinade - grilled or steamed).

Hope this helps,

Bronco

skbird Contributor

I just got my triumph dining cards and they are looking pretty cool! I have to say I am impressed - I didn't want to pay but my brother is getting married to a Chinese girl and her family does lots of eating at Chinese restaurants and the reception will likely be at a restaurant, as well (her brother's was, too). So I thought I'd cover my bases and see if there was a chance a cook there would accomodate me - otherwise it will be all white rice for me. I'll let you know how it goes... haven't had to use them anywhere yet.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

uclangel422 Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like i should be able to get something to eat.

Archived