Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Suicide Rate Amoung Coeliac/celiacs

5 posts in this topic

IS there any kind of research on this? I know the prevalence of depression and anxiety is much higher in Coeliacs but have never heard much about suicide pertaining to the disease, although I am certain it must go on, alot probably dont even know they have Coeliac.

Ads by Google:

*among...brainfog! No not really I just spelt it wrong.

IS there any kind of research on this? I know the prevalence of depression and anxiety is much higher in Coeliacs but have never heard much about suicide pertaining to the disease, although I am certain it must go on, alot probably dont even know they have Coeliac.

The key to my answer is what I have bolded. They would not routinely do any GI biopsies on autopsy with someone who has committed suicide.

I do know that if I hadn't had any children when I was on my long and painful road to diagnosis I would be one of the unknown statistics.

I did commit suicide at 11 when the neuro symptoms hit me really hard but thankfully I was brought back in the ER. Would they have known that it was celiac associated depression that caused it, no. And neither did I until almost 40 years later after I was gluten free and got glutened and saw the relationship between my being glutened and my suicidal ideation.

I've wondered if my birth mother's suicide at 45 was in some way related to undiagnosed celiac. She had a wheat "allergy" that she ignored, a strange rash, behaved erratically and violently, was depressed, said the strangest crap, poor memory, had a host of health problems (real or imagined we don't know), etc. In myself, after dropping the gluten I recognized some of the same crazies in myself, including thoughts of offing myself. (The only reason I didn't was because of what it would do to my brother.) And I wonder if she had simply cut those foods out of her diet she might not have been such a fruit loop and if the suicide could have been prevented.

As for research, I don't know of any, but it would be interesting. There are snippets scattered all over this forum regarding folks' suicidal thoughts and attempts, old and new. Fortunately, those people are with us today to share their thoughts and lives. (Raven, I'm really glad you're here!)

I've seen it mentioned that DH (the skin form of Celiac) was considered to be a high risk for Suicide before they figured how to treat it. It's supposed to be one if the most miserable skin conditions, ever.