This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Any Reason To Go To A Gp?

thegirlsmom

thegirlsmom Apprentice

My husband has been experiencing a lot of gluten related symptoms/reactions lately. He won't even tell me what they all are but he is concerned it could be celiac, crohns, or cancer. The weird thing is he seemed fine until my DX and the change in our diet to Gluten Free. The symptoms seem to subside after he is gluten free for a while so I don't think it's cancer, but he has a difficult time maintaining the diet when he is out of the house and when he eats something with gluten, he starts having symptoms again.

This has been going on for a couple months now and he is ready to go see a DR. Should I make him an appointment for a General Doc, or should I send him straight to a GI Doc. (Ins doesn't require a referral from our GP). And any idea what tests they will want to run? Our ins won't cover any tests so I am trying to figure out the best way to go with this.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Send him to a GP, and one who is smart enough to tell him that if gluten makes him sick he shouldn't be eating it! The GI docs aren't nearly as good about gluten intolerance as the GPs. They'll probably try to celiac test and if your hubs hasn't been eating much gluten it may come back false negative. Your husband just needs to be told to exercise his common sense and stay gluten-free. ;)

Takala Enthusiast

Go to a regular doctor with some celiac knowledge and get blood tests run first.

If this bears no fruit, you can also go over the counter to test for genes and intolerances to common foods like gluten, dairy, soy.

Not unusual for people who go gluten free, (and who need to do so, from a medical standpoint, because they are celiac or gluten intolerant) to become more sensitive to gluten after a period of time off of it.

Lisa Mentor

Have him read this thread:

Skylark Collaborator

Have him read this thread:

I feed terrible for Bonnie because stomach cancer is very serious, particularly if it goes for months undiagnosed, but you can't jump to the conclusion that it had anything to do with her celiac disease. H. pylori infection is a more likely cause. There is an extremely rare leukemia associated with celiac but threatening people with one-in-a-million cancers to make them stick to a diet is bad karma.

thegirlsmom Apprentice

Send him to a GP, and one who is smart enough to tell him that if gluten makes him sick he shouldn't be eating it! The GI docs aren't nearly as good about gluten intolerance as the GPs. They'll probably try to celiac test and if your hubs hasn't been eating much gluten it may come back false negative. Your husband just needs to be told to exercise his common sense and stay gluten-free. ;)

I agree with you completely. How would I go about finding a good GP who would be sympathetic to gluten issues.( The irony here is his brother is a GP but he doesn't want to talk to him about his problem). He has been very low gluten for the last 6 months or so. What tests should he try to get done?

We are in the Nashville TN area.

Skylark Collaborator

You need to gluten him up for at least two months to have a hope of the celiac tests working. Three months is a little better. He needs to eat 4 slices of bread a day worth of gluten. Anything with gluten like bread, pasta, cereal, or cookies is fine. If he starts feeling really ill eating the gluten, he might figure out the intolerance on his own. :lol:

For inexpensive home testing, you could order the CeliacSure kit. Open Original Shared Link They ship to the US for personal use. It is a home anti-TTG IgA celiac screening kit for $50 plus shipping.

At the doctor's, the bare minimum would be anti-deamidated gliadin IgA. It's the single most sensitive and specific celiac test available. You also need to ask for total IgA to be sure the test is valid. If deamidated gliadin is not available at the diagnostic lab your Dr. uses you could get the anti-TTG if you don't want to use CeliacSure. There are other tests but if I had to pay out of pocket, that's where I would start.

As far as finding a sympathetic doctor, do you have any sort of local celiac support group? They might know of someone good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Stephanie Thompson
    Newest Member
    Stephanie Thompson
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Zackery Brian
      I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with your health. Dealing with celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can indeed be overwhelming. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions based on your experience and the replies you've received: Confirming Diagnosis: It's great that your gastroenterologist confirmed your celiac disease diagnosis through additional tests. Understanding the specifics of your condition can help tailor your approach to managing it more effectively. Food Sensitivity Testing: While blood tests for food sensitivities can provide some insights, they may not always be completely accurate. As mentioned by others, false positives are common, and individual responses to specific foods can vary. Discussing your test results and symptoms with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about celiac disease and food sensitivities can help clarify your situation. Research and Education: Exploring conditions like Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and histamine intolerance could shed further light on your symptoms and provide additional avenues for managing your health. Gathering information from reliable sources and discussing your findings with your healthcare team can help you make informed decisions about your care. Dietary Management: Managing celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can be challenging, but finding a balance that works for you is crucial. Working with a dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and food intolerances can help you develop a personalized dietary plan that meets your nutritional needs while minimizing symptoms. Stress Management: Chronic pain and health issues can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. Finding healthy coping strategies to manage stress, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or engaging in activities you enjoy, may help improve your overall quality of life. Remember, you're not alone in your journey, and seeking support from healthcare professionals, support groups, or online communities can provide valuable encouragement and guidance.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?