This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Sixteen W/ Cd

sweetiegrl109

sweetiegrl109 Newbie

i go the second largest high school in the state, there are nearly 4,000 students there and out of the entire student population i am the only kid with celiac disease there, it makes it realy hard a lot of time...one of the things that makes it the worst is when my friends make lil jokes tryin to be funny about not tryin to hurt my feelins, but eventuly it just crushes my spirit...ya know? n then there is when they are eating my old fav foods...i HATE that....ugh...its two years but it doesnt feel better when you see them,....i need someone to relate to, to talk to...a friend who understands...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I was sick all through High School and I hadn't known anyone in my large school with Celiac Disease but I wasn't diagnosed, yet. I moved my senior year down South and to a smaller school. By that time I was a lot sicker and was diagnosed. It sort of made sense to the people around me that the food I was eating would make me sick since I was sick a lot. However, they would sometimes say things just joking and I would get so upset. I always told them that it wans't nice but it is hard for them to understand. In college I have found people to be much more understanding. High School is just a really odd time for anyone, especially someone with Celiac Disease. Since I was diagnosed my senior year it was hard not being able to take part in a lot of the fun activities and half days eating out. I didn't know enough to be able to eat at a restaurant yet so I felt really sad a lot. I look back now I realize I spent too much time being down and it isn't worth it. I now wish I hadn't listened to some of the people who made jokes becase few years have passed and I haven't talked to them and it wasn't worht being sad over not eating the foods I liked because I am healthier now. Just smile and go through the day trying to be happy! It sucks being sad.

Kristina

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, I agree that people in college are way more understanding. They treat you normal and like it's not a big deal and don't look at you all weird. The people I have met actually seem intrigued and want to know more. They don't care what food I eat..my food looks normal and I bet half of the people don't even know it's different from their stuff.

I understand feeling the way you do, I felt that way for the first few months-my extended family would make jokes, laugh about celiac, ask me if I wanted food I can't have, etc.

You can email me anytime if you would like. Always here to talk.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ziggy10

Your situation sounds remarkably like mine. I've had Celiac since 2003 and my friends love to make fun of me. One goes so far as to pick up crumbs and bring it ever closer to my face saying, "Wheat wheat wheat wheat." The trick is to get them back with something. If they give it out.. they better be ready to take it! Its been two months since this things been posted but I'm free to talk to as well if you like.

fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice

I've had Celiac my whole life, and I'm in High School now. My friends don't usually make fun of me, but they do offer me gluten foods. I'm sure they mostly do it by accident though. I do have one friend, though, who is one of my best friends actually, but every time she's eating bread or a bagel or a muffin or that sort of gluteny food, she offers me some. She'll go, "Oooh, Jackie, want a bagel?" I'll go, "No, thank you." And then we laugh. It doesn't hurt me, but then again I don't remember what a real bagel, etc. tastes like so I don't crave it.

I have met only one other Celiac in all my twelve years as one. So, don't worry. I don't know any other Celiac in my school, but it's okay. It doens't affect me during school that much except for when my friends get fries and popcorn chicken and stuff from the cafeteria. (And I have to say, it looks mighty good.) Keep your head up!

:D:)

-Jackie

• 1 month later...
Sophie Newbie

I'm 15 and I've been diagnosed since I was three. High School is definately teh hardest place to have celiac disease. at my school you can't pack lunch so I end up eating salad every day while my friends are eating pizza and pasta and (randomly) chinese food. My friends think it's really funny to wave some bread in my face and watch my reaction. I know that they don't mean anything by it but it's hard because they don't understand what I'm going through. I don't have anybody in my school either. I've had this for twelve years and I don't even remember what that food tastes like, but I came really close to eating pizza with my friends the other day. Right now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

mightymorg Rookie
I'm 15 and I've been diagnosed since I was three. High School is definately teh hardest place to have celiac disease. at my school you can't pack lunch so I end up eating salad every day while my friends are eating pizza and pasta and (randomly) chinese food. My friends think it's really funny to wave some bread in my face and watch my reaction. I know that they don't mean anything by it but it's hard because they don't understand what I'm going through. I don't have anybody in my school either. I've had this for twelve years and I don't even remember what that food tastes like, but I came really close to eating pizza with my friends the other day. Right now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

Sophie, is there any way you can get a doctor's note to give to the administration of your school to allow you to bring your own food? You have a disease that has been officially diagnosed, and eating salad everyday for lunch when you're 15 is not the greatest thing for you!! It's worth a shot; I think it's absurd they won't let you bring your own food. :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

In your other post you mentioned how large your school is. Statistically, there would more than likely be others who also have an intolerance to gluten. They just don't know it yet. I was terribly ill all the time and was in the nurse's office quite a bit. I'd have to either stay there or she'd have me sent home. It wasn't for a number of years later that I would find out some of the causes, and I only discovered the gluten thing about a year ago.

The point is, if you observe someone in your school who seems like a possible gluten sufferer, you might make a new friend, especially when you help them feel good for the first time in their lives. With the wheat-based diet the school probably has, everyone is getting a constant glutening, even if they don't at home. Since there's no home made lunches, use that inconvenience as an edge. See who gets more sick when the glutening is worse. If you are friends with the nurse, drop off some liturature. This site has plenty you can print out. When she sees a student with the typical symptoms, she may be asking you for help, or at least you can find out who the kid is and make friends.

Hope this helps you.

Sophie, is there any way you can get a doctor's note to give to the administration of your school to allow you to bring your own food? You have a disease that has been officially diagnosed, and eating salad everyday for lunch when you're 15 is not the greatest thing for you!! It's worth a shot; I think it's absurd they won't let you bring your own food. :o

I second that 200% !! I used to keep my lunch in the nurse's fridge instead of my locker, so it wouldn't have the chance to start spoiling.

jerseyangel Proficient

I was going to say the same thing about getting a Dr.s note explaining your condition so you could bring in food from home. If they argue that they provide a choice (salad) that is "safe" for you, cite the cross contamination issue. It is very real and the reason why myself, and others here don't eat at restaurants. Until this lovely disease hit me, I worked in our local high school, and I can't speak for other schools, but in ours, you would have been accomodated.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

From a lawyer's (ex-teenager) perspective,

I wouldn't be suprised if celiac disease qualifies as a "disability". Technically, under the Americans With Disability's Act, I beleive the school would have to make "reasonable accomodations" for you and your "disability".

I think....

celiac3270 Collaborator

It is--we're covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Your school is required to make accomodations for you--either providing gluten-free food or allowing you to bring your own.

Merika Contributor
i go the second largest high school in the state, there are nearly 4,000 students there and out of the entire student population i am the only kid with celiac disease there, .....i need someone to relate to, to talk to...a friend who understands...

Maybe ask the school nurse if anyone else is celiac? Because with 4000 students, statistically there should be about 35 other celiacs in your school....Mind you, some are probably not diagnosed yet. Maybe you could have the nurse or someone put up a sign for a celiacs group or meeting?

Merika

kassixjo15 Newbie

by law your school has to provide food you can eat, i'm 15 and was diagnosed a little of 3 years ago and up to this year i always packed but i was embarassed by it so i had my mom contact someone at my school in charge of food and one day before school started this year we met with her and ends up she had experience with celiac (she prepared food for a boy who graduated the year before) so we prepared a weekly menu. it consists of mainly basics but for me it was great that i could go through the lunch line with all my friends and everyday they just bring me my food on a tray and i pay and its done.

my menu is basically salads, chicken, chicken salads, rice, stirfry(with my soy sauce), baked potatoes, hamburgers (no bun) and taco salad. we went through all the food preparation and made sure she and her coworkers understood and they were very helpful. i have to bring in a few things ( to prevent cross contamination) like butter, shredded cheese, salad dressing, sour cream and things like that but for its all worth it. i hope this helps!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Sweetiegirl,

Try this link...

www.csaceliacs.org/forms/CafeteriaStaff.pdf

If it makes you feel better, life with Celiac gets better in College (I know that is a ways away, but take comfort that our "challenge" gets easier as life goes on).

People are more mature in college (and life in general as you get older).

Furthermore, the more knowledge you have about celiac disease, the more confident you will become (especially dealing with ignorant/misunderstanding friends)!

Don't let them keep you down!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
cdinct Newbie

im in high school too, and there are a couple other kids in my school who have celiac disease, but i dont know one of them and the other one im not really friends with and almost never see.

i find myself never eating in my cafeteria b/c its just so huge and impossible to be safe. i was diagnose the last day of sixth grade and its been like 3 1/2 years, and ive had to bring lunch to school everyday since then. we have a salad bar, but they have pasta salad and other non-gluten-free stuff and people are lazy and careless and cross contanminate everything.

i know exactly what sophie means when her friends bug her about it. i teacher assist a culinary class at my school (its the most popular course in my school) and the culinary 1 curriculum is entirly baking, so im in the kitchens at my school a couple times a day. my best friend who i do it with always forgets and shell offer me somehting i cant have or when we spilt up jobs, shell give me the one that has to do with flour. and i hate to be a burden, so i always feel bad asking to switch.

my parents have recently become college obsessed, so ive been getting non-stop emails from my mom about stories of celiac disease kids in college, and a lot of them have been good stories, so i guess it gets better.

good luck

~sam

JessicaB Explorer

Hi! I have just recently been told I have celiac. Im waiting for my biopsy results tomorrow. The doctor said that no matter what the results are because of the bloodwork, i have celiac. I am 22 so i know what it feels like to be young and feel alone. Sometimes i feel like i need someone to talk to, a friend who understands not just having celiac but being a young woman with this. If you need to talk you can always email me. I would like to make as many new friends that have similar experiences. I dont personally know anyone who has celiac but the people on this message board, who have been very helpfull. my email is mckaylaslove@aol.com. Whats your email?

Archived