30 replies to this topic

#16 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Skylark, I just wanna tell you that you're amazingly helpful and I really appreciate it.

I have another question about FM. How long does it take, usually, for a reaction to set in?

Yesterday I had a dilemma, because I didn't have enough time between church and work to get something to eat. So I grabbed an old larabar from my purse and ate it because my other choice was starving all during my shift and making a miserable day even worse. I know larabars are a no-no for FM because of the dates.

this morning I am quite bloated and am burping up acid, but I was okay all last night--very little reflux and burping.

so my meals yesterday were: boiled chicken, larabar, 100g of walnuts, and some peanut butter, sweetened with dextrose, on rice cakes. (it is hard to find nut and seed butters here. they are very expensive. I'm gonna get some sunflower seed butter soon though.)

does it make sense that I wouldn't have a reaction right after the larabar, but rather the morning after?

oh yeah and I don't take supplements anymore but I do take a few tablespoons of aloe vera juice after meals and fennel tea when I am bloated.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

just saw this thread.... I, too, have FM issues.
Yes, sometimes a FM reaction doesn't occur until the next day. That usually when it's the worst for me!! For me, gassy in the morning means I ate something the day before that gives me problems.
reactions can occur within a few hours, or take as long as 3 days to occur.

Larabars cause me problems, too-- but not bad enough that I won't eat them once in a great while! :)

Hope that helps a little bit!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Strawberry_Jam, you're never going to figure this out if you don't go low-fructose for a few days in a row. Mom's reactions are like wheeleez. If she eats a LOT of fructose she's sick the same day, but if it's a little less (like squash or a Larabar) she might not feel really bad until the next day.

I hate those food dilemmas. I try to always have safe snacks with me, but you can often find packages of seeds or nuts in gas station convenience stores. Larger stores like 7-11 can have packaged lunch meat or hard-boiled eggs. If your real problem is FM, you'll be able to have chips as well.

What causes symptoms in FM is when intestinal bacteria break the fructose down into hydrogen or methane because you didn't absorb it. If you eat more fructose than the bacteria can handle you can also get osmotic diarrhea, where the fructose draws water into your bowel. The gas causes bloating, flatulence, burping, and reflux. The fructose-eating bacteria also mess up your intestinal bacterial balance so you can end up with irritation that causes more symptoms. It can take time for the fructose to get to the bacteria in your intestine and ferment, and the amount of time for the gas to build up to where it causes symptoms depends on how much fructose you ate.

It's really starting to sound like your reactions are delayed by one day. Squash one day, reflux the next. Dates one day, reflux the next...

#19 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

I just bought a whole bunch of 100g packs of raw cashews to put into my purse. those will be my safe snacks for a little while.

today I had rice cakes, fennel tea, bacon, cashews, and some more peanut butter w/ dextrose. Tomorrow I'm going to get some sunflower seed butter and some more eggs. I have steak and bacon in my fridge right now (and not much else... >_<).

It is so weird. I've been having terrible, terrible reflux every morning after breakfast which is gone by the end of the day. I don't always eat the same thing for breakfast. I've stopped all supplements. time will tell I guess.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Got my fingers crossed for ya'. FM isn't any fun but knowing you have it beats being sick all the time.

#21 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

My reactions take two days to show up. When I first started my elimination diet, it took 3 weeks before I felt better.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#22 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

Really? Do you remember where you saw that? I'd really like to send the info to Mom. She'll find it interesting, though it doesn't change her bad reaction to brown rice. If it was in the Yahoo! group she will have seen it becasue she is a member.

Not sure if this link will work, but here it is: http://f1.grp.yahoof...es/fructans.pdf

It can be found in the yahoo group under Files, Articles, fructans.pdf. Technically, there's a trace amount of fructans in brown rice, but you'd have to be SUPER, SUPER sensitive to fructans for the amount to cause problems. (I know I'm not.) Quinoa has more fructans than brown rice, and quinoa doesn't give me the the intense stomach pain that brown rice does. I think it has something to do with rice bran, but I don't know what part of the bran is the problem.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for digging that up. The link doesn't work but I can probably get it through the group and make sure Mom has seen it. I think she's read everything there. She reacts like you with a lot of discomfort from brown rice.

#24 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

okay (posting this so that you can yell at me if I make mistake :unsure: )

today I had boiled beef, rooibos tea, 175 g cashews (I am getting desperate for calories), some bacon, and one rice cake.

supplements were 1.5 T of aloe vera juice and a tea made from slippery elm.

my gas is not constant, but I will get burpy and bloated after meals. reflux is still constant.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#25 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

so, after about six days of no fructose, I didn't notice any difference in symptoms. It wasn't until I started taking digestive enzymes with betaine HCl that my D stopped and became normal BMs again. I've been able to eat fats and seem to actually be digesting them now.

I had a salad with pears in it last night, and this morning a fruit salad with grapes, apples, citrus, melon, pineapple, watermelon--the lot. We'll see what happens. I do intend to avoid fructose for the time being, besides these two recent meals, just because, but I won't worry about small amounts etc.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#26 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Just a quick thought... Most of the symptoms you describe can be caused by your hiatal hernia too.
I've been dealing with acid reflux for a long time and the worst reflux pain I experienced was from my hiatal hernia.

Hope you feel better soon!

#27 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

how did you treat your hiatal hernia?

my problem is that ppis--nexium, protonix, prevacid, pantup relief, etc--do not work, and in fact seem to make it worse.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#28 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

how did you treat your hiatal hernia?

my problem is that ppis--nexium, protonix, prevacid, pantup relief, etc--do not work, and in fact seem to make it worse.

I just found out that my recent problems with reflux have been from having the hiatal hernia, so by no means am I an expert in what to do, because I am just going down that road for myself. But, my mom and one of my sisters have been dealing with it for a long time now and they are able to pull it out by massaging in a downward motion to the left of the sternum a little bit and starting from right under the ribs pressing downward with firm pressure.

I haven't learned how to do this very well on myself yet, but my five month old baby also has one and am able to get his to go back into place by either doing what I described above or by massaging his tummy in a clock wise circle.

If you aren't sure where your hernia is gently feel where the sternum and start feeling below that and toward the left side and if you feel a tender spot that is probably where the hernia is and you can start massaging it downward. It might be possible that the hernia could be a little toward the right side instead, but I just don't know enough about it to say for sure.
The idea with massaging the hernia out is that if you can get it back into place when it comes out, after a while your muscles will get stronger and be able to stay together so that you won't get it anymore - or at least not as often.

I have not tried any drugs for this problem and have only seen a natural practitioner for this problem, but so far this approach has helped my infant and mother and sister.

I hope that all made sense, but if not I'll try to answer any questions the best I can. :)

#29 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

I just thought of another way to help your hernia. If you can find a really good chiropractor, they should be able to put the hernia back in place and show you ways to help it stay where it should.

#30 ElizFost

ElizFost

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give advice here. I was quite sure I had fructose malabsorption issues because of gas and fatigue when eating foods on the "foods to avoid" list. Then I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. When researching on the web, I discovered that one medical expert had the opinion that fructose malabsorption was caused by severe hypoglycemia. I thought this could be possible for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: