12 replies to this topic

#1 Jai

Jai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'm so tired of being out of breath. I've been gluten-free for 5 months now and it has definitely improved, but still randomly, I get so out of breath from very simple things...sometimes for no reason at all. I used to be an athlete and now 1 flight of stairs and I'm winded. I'm 33 years old, healthy, non-smoker. I'm tired of this.
Am I alone?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Have you been checked out for asthma or IgE allergies?
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#3 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

Could you be anaemic??
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#4 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

It's really important you get checked for this. It could be asthma, allergies or a whole bunch of other things that are easy to fix.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#5 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

Just wondering, is it a feeling of being truly winded, or a feeling like no matter how hard to breathe in you don't feel like you're getting enough air?

I've had the latter in the last few months when I was going through a little weirdness with my stomach - that and a little chronic nausea. The breathing "thing" was pretty severe and I even underwent chest xrays, stress testing and breathing testing. All came back stellar. Right around the time the breathing thing started I had begun eating a slice or two of nitrate free bacon every morning, so I quit eating it altogether and it cleared up immediately (the nausea turned out to be minute cross contamination from supplements). But I've also noticed this breathing thing (to a much lesser degree) at times when my stomach isn't right, and sipping a glass of water seems to make it go away. So, because the breathing thing seemed to be connected to the bacon, I've wondered if it doesn't have more to do with dehydration than an issue of CC or anything else. Whatever it is, I know it's scary. Hope you can figure it out soon.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

Are you possibly anemic?

I was really short of breath for so long, even for a few months post-DX and gluten free. Just walking the length of my driveway had me breathing hard and feeling totally exhausted. :blink:

When I read that celiacs often have both B-12 and Folate deficiency anamia, I had my doctor test my folate level and sure enough, I had a FOLATE deficiency.

Once I was treated for 2 months with prescription folic acid, it stopped. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

For me it's low thyroid. I totally lose my exercise tolerance and a couple flights of stairs will have me red-faced and breathing hard.

#8 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

I have that out of breath feeling in my head (vs really not being able to breath) when I am having gut issues. I think some tummy gas is pushing the diaphragm up and messing with some nerves.

#9 Jai

Jai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

For me it's low thyroid. I totally lose my exercise tolerance and a couple flights of stairs will have me red-faced and breathing hard.

well, it is low, but not enough to treat...and it's always been low. I think that as I continue to recover/heal, it will go away, too....I hope anyways.

#10 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

well, it is low, but not enough to treat...and it's always been low. I think that as I continue to recover/heal, it will go away, too....I hope anyways.

Who told you it's not low enough to treat? Please read the website stopthethyroidmadness.com If it's low you need treatment. It's dangerous to have low thyroid, as you can see by your breathing problems. Get another doctor asap.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

You need a second opinion if you're hypothyroid and symptomatic and your doctor refuses to treat.

#12 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

I just found I have severe tachycardia (rapid heart beat) and often when my pulse goes really high sometimes over 200 I get very short of breath. Pay attention to how your heart feels when you are short of breath, if you have palpitations then she your doctor. I let it go for years blaming it on asthma and stress and now I am about one step away from heart failure, mind you I am only 24. Although I did get a drug for An illness that can cause heart damage but please be super careful!!!
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Jai,

Two things to consider:

What were the results of the thyroid antibodies test?

Do you have other symptoms indicative of hypothyroidism?

(And that is a good question, who told you it was "not low enough" treat?
A primary care doc or an endocrinologist?)

In MY case, my thyroid was sluggish and my TSH was always on the hypo side and when put on medications, it made me go nearly HYPER. (I was a jittery mess of anxiety and insomnia :blink: ) I was told it was okay to go OFF the meds when I questioned why I was on it in the first place. (no thyroid antibodies) My thyroid functions normally now, and some people report a similar recovery of thyroid function on here. Some people also have to adjust their meds after going gluten-free because their thyroid rebounds and they do not need as much.

They have changed the range that is used to judge what is "optimal range".

It used to be that a TSH of 4.5-5.5 was still considered "borderline" for hypo, but in 2003, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists stated that doctors "consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0." Mine was 5.3 at one point, so going by the OLD range of 5.5, my PC doctor was reluctant to put me on medication. The endo disagreed--and as it turned out, my PCP was right all along. Even though THAT ONE reading was 5.3, it was also 4.2, .8 and 2.4 in the months that followed. Because of the un-DXED celiac, It was all over the place. :blink:

Now it is 1.8 - 2.4 and I feel fine. :)

If your numbers are outside of that range, maybe you need to see an endocrinologist for a second opinion? I would hate to see you go on medication and feel worse as a result. Likewise, it would be just as bad if you do not get APPROPRIATE treatment.

Blood work seems to be in order, in any case. Please do ask for a Folate level, though. It often gets overlooked (they check B-12 but not that) and is easily treated. Even my PCP said HE never would have thought of it. :rolleyes: We have to be our own best advocates.

IMHO :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: