5 replies to this topic

#1 gflooser

gflooser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

I've been wanting to use one for a while. I wasn't sure if any of the probiotic yogurts were gluten free so I tried one in pill form. Unfortunately, it gave me stomache aches! NOT cool! Has this happened to anyone else? Do you use one of the yogurts? I can tolerate yogurt, so that would be a better choice for me.
Thanks!!
gluten-free for 7 years pos. biopsy
98 pounds lost!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

I just saw this on the GAPS webpage FAQ the other day. Maybe it will help. This is from http://gapsdiet.com/FAQs.html

"Even the smallest amount of any probiotic food or supplement causes me severe bloating, fatigue and pain. How do I do the diet if I cant take probiotics? Are there any conditions where probiotic are not recommended?"

People suffering from ME, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and some other debilitating conditions often have difficulties introducing probiotics. The reason for that is the die-off effect: it is so severe in this group of patients that they find it very difficult to cope with. Just start from a tiny amount and go up very slowly. I have patients who start from 1/18th of a capsule of the Bio-Kult (or as much powder as would fit on the end of a sharp knife), and it takes them months to get up to one capsule per day. The same with fermented foods, start from a tiny amount per 5-7 days; as your body gets used to that amount, start taking it a bit more frequently. When you can take that tiny amount every day, start increasing the dose. Proceed in this very slow manner. It is important for you to introduce probiotics in the form of food or supplement. You just have to go slowly.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

I second Skyark's advice to start slowly, possibly with probiotic powder instead of a whole capsule.

Probiotics are beneficial and not harmful. :)

I think your reaction is one of "die off" in which case, you may really need the probiotics to balance your gut flora.

Drink a lot of water to hydrate and flush.

Celiac guts need probiotics for many reasons.

Check out this article by Dr. Lewey:

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

It took me almost a year to get to a full capsule. I have lots of experience with die off. Its not a bad thing, it telling you it working but you don't feel so good. Makes for a tough day. My doctor said in order for the drug to help you, you must be able to tolerate it and that may take time and patience. So go slow, very slow, your body will tell you if you are going too fast. You can do it!!

#5 gflooser

gflooser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

It took me almost a year to get to a full capsule. I have lots of experience with die off. Its not a bad thing, it telling you it working but you don't feel so good. Makes for a tough day. My doctor said in order for the drug to help you, you must be able to tolerate it and that may take time and patience. So go slow, very slow, your body will tell you if you are going too fast. You can do it!!

wow guys, i've never heard of this die off! so i should look for a probiotic powder? i will look into this, thank you!
anyone use any of the probiotic yogurts? i'm thinking my gut is very off!!!! ugh, wish me luck!
gluten-free for 7 years pos. biopsy
98 pounds lost!!!!

#6 Nonna2

Nonna2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

I've been wanting to use one for a while. I wasn't sure if any of the probiotic yogurts were gluten free so I tried one in pill form. Unfortunately, it gave me stomache aches! NOT cool! Has this happened to anyone else? Do you use one of the yogurts? I can tolerate yogurt, so that would be a better choice for me.
Thanks!!

I just tried La Yogurt Probiotic which is gluten free. Had four of them in the past week. Today had an issue in the bathroom. It takes me along time to digest and since going gluten free I have issues not visiting the bathroom enough, so I thought the yogurt would help, now I am not sure after today with a stomach ache and a run to the bathroom;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: