#1 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hi all,

Been awhile since I visited the forum. But I need some help. My history in a nutshell: I've been gluten-free 5 1/2 years, DF on and off for the past few years (and off for good the past month), following a paleo diet for the past 6 months, also avoiding a few other foods (see my signature). I feel like the paleo is working for me in some ways - I feel stronger, I'm slimming down a bit (not exercising much, and I know that would help).

However, I feel like I have been having some sort of stomach pain/cramping/bloating/constipation/diarrhea (and possibly related occasional joint pain/headaches) every day for the past month or two. I've tried eliminating suspect foods, but nothing seems to work.

The more I read about leaky gut, the more I think I need to explore it. My husband also keeps telling me I need to do an elimination diet to figure out what's bothering me. The problem is, I don't think I'm eating any one thing consistently enough to pinpoint it as a source. Hence the need for a very restricted diet.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Any good websites that detail an elimination diet for leaky gut? Also, is a cleanse/detox something I should look at prior to starting the diet?

Thanks so much!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Apache

Apache

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

What are you eating on the paleo diet? What paleo foods have you eliminated?

#3 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

On the paleo diet, I have eliminated red meat, pork, coconut and broccoli (the last two I was already avoiding, but lots of paelo people eat them a lot). Basically, I'm eating fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, veggies, and a little bit of fruit. Occasionally will have some dark chocolate (dairy free).
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#4 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Are you getting fat and probiotic foods? Our family does the GAPS diet which is aimed at creating a good gut flora balance. It wouldn't be a huge departure from the paleo way of eating. On the blog linked from my profile I have a series of posts outlining the intro. Google for more! I highly recommend the book.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: