This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boy Am I Stupid!

Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Hi all....

Man I am dumb,....

Yesterday afternoon after a day of shopping and such, I took my kids to friendly's for lunch... well I was not even thinking (I am still very new to the whole gluten-free thing)... and what did I do....go an order a bowl of Clam chowder! and gee what a surprise...NOT when about 1/2 an hour later I had to RUN to the bathroom!...I haven't had to do that since I started the gluten-free diet...

I felt horrible the rest of the day too and I am still not feeling great....

sigh....

this gluten-free Diet is hard to get used to and frustrating at times!

just venting a bit... sorry...

--maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Maya--

It does get easier--but it takes a while for sure :) Someone here once said--and I think it is a good plumb line for all of us "When in doubt, go without." Hope you feel better soon!

(Clam Chowder does sound good though...) :lol:

lovegrov Collaborator

Progresso has some gluten-free clam chowder. One version is NOT gluten-free, however, so read the ingredients.

richard

skbird Contributor

Sigh... lovely, lovely clam chowder, especially with oyster crackers floating in it... mmmmmm....

Darn, if it weren't for the gluten in the oyster crackers, the potatoes in the soup or the clams... well, I could eat it, darn it! :P

I have to admit I have really gotten into smelling other people's food. It does seem to help sometimes...

Stephanie

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Sigh... lovely, lovely clam chowder, especially with oyster crackers floating in it... mmmmmm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Thats exactly how I feel about clam chowder...especially when it comes inside of a sourdough breadbowl....Soooo GOOD!

I hardly ever get GI symptoms but clam chowder in the breadbowl did me in :(

That was the last time I had it but it was REALLY good..ate the whole thing...bowl and all :D

tarnalberry Community Regular
I felt horrible the rest of the day too and I am still not feeling great....

sigh....

this gluten-free Diet is hard to get used to and frustrating at times!

just venting a bit... sorry...

--maya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not dumb! If you haven't made clam chowder before, how would you know that flour can often be an ingredient in it? You can't! Lesson learned!

Hold on... You'll get through this rough first stage where you learn all the stuff that other people take for granted that they don't need to know. But you WILL get through it. (And then you'll be the woman to beat when trying to play Trivial Pursuit - Cooking Edition! :-) )

Rachel--24 Collaborator
If you haven't made clam chowder before, how would you know that flour can often be an ingredient in it? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flour is in clam chowder??? :unsure:

The whole time I thought I got sick only because of the breadbowl. I also got the same symptoms after eating potato soup at a restaraunt....does that have flour in it as well? I wasn't gluten-free when I ate these things...just going back in my mind to all of the things that I ate which caused me to get sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

Many soups, especially cream soups and cheese soups, have flour as a thickener or a stabilizer (sometimes the milk part separates from the broth, etc). If you make it yourself, your regular recipe might not contain it. But a lot of commercially prepped stuff has flour in it - in a surprising amount of things, actually.

Soup is probably going to be off limits most places you go out. Bummer, huh?

Stephanie

Merika Contributor

Yep, it's in many many soups. Even lentil soups if you eat out, even if the sauce isn't white, even if it looks clear. It's added as a thickener.

Somewhere, someone should write a modest length book about cooking processes, so we can all learn about this stuff somewhere....

Merika

scaredparent Apprentice

You would be amazed at what restrants put flour in. I took my son for homemade icecream at a restaurant and I decided to ask for ingredient and they put flour in their ice cream. I almost didn't ask for ingredients and I was verrrrry glad I did. When in doubt ask for ingredients. Most place will tell if you tell them you are highly allergic to wheat, oats, barley and rye, and they don't want to see what happens if you get any. Make them think wild thoughts. HAHAHAH

happygirl Collaborator

There is a "Chicken with Rice" made by Healthy Choice, as well as a Vegetable one (don't remember the name) that both happen to be safe.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thats so sad :(

I almost always ordered soup at resteraunts. I never liked salads much so I always ordered soup which I love...all kinds of soup. I was also one of those people who would eat ALL the bread and then ask for like 2 or 3 more servings before my meal even got there. Those were the good ol' days :D

nettiebeads Apprentice
Flour is in clam chowder???  :unsure:

The whole time I thought I got sick only because of the breadbowl. I also got the same symptoms after eating potato soup at a restaraunt....does that have flour in it as well?  I wasn't gluten-free when I ate these things...just going back in my mind to all of the things that I ate which caused me to get sick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Typically all white sauces (the base for chowders and white soups and anything creamy) start with a roux which is melted butter thickened with flour. Wheat flour. I don't eat soups at restaraunts, period. Well, except for miso soup which is soy based, so long as there's no wheat noodles.

Jen H Contributor

Hi Rachel,

I tried some gluten-free soup by Annie's today and it was super yummy. The potato leek soup, corn chowder, and creamy tomato are gluten-free. I got it at Whole Foods and there were other gluten-free soups there too. I'm kinda new to the celiac disease scene, so I haven't figured out how to make my own soup yet. I guess it will come in time.

B) Jen

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Jen,

I did try Annies in the past...I actually have a can of the creamy tomato....its been in my cupboard for like a year. I bought alot of stuff last year but then when my blood test came back neg. I went back to regular food. I had some different Annies salad dressings too...they were unopened and out of date so I had to toss em. Bought new ones today...what a waste. Too bad I didnt get this all figured out last year...I'd probably be healthy right now. I wish there was a gluten-free clam chowder...its pretty much my favorite.

CaliGirl Newbie
I have to admit I have really gotten into smelling other people's food. It does seem to help sometimes...

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love smelling my husband's food! After all, most of taste really isn't "taste" at all, it's your sense of smell that your brain translates to what you're eating.

I read a medical study synopsis in a beauty magazine once that concluded smelling a food you are craving can diminish the intensity of those cravings. Because of that, I keep yummy-smelling hand lotion in my desk at work. It cuts down on my (gluten-free) M&M consumption.

:)

Rachel

Gluten Free since May 2004

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

I would do that except for the fact that I have no sense of smell... I haven't had a sense of smell since I was about 6 or so... I think it was when I fell off my bike and hit my head... but not sure.. all I know is that I don't have a sense of smell...

--Maya

PicturePerfect Explorer

Wow! I am shocked that clam chowder has flour in it!!

I guess I won't be ordering soup from restaurants anymore!

Archived