14 replies to this topic

#1 lipreader

lipreader

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

Since my 3 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, I can't tell you how many people have said they had celiac when they were younger and outgrew it. From everything I've read, this is impossible - right? I told them maybe it's because they were misdiagnosed; the tests back then can't be as good as they are now. But one relative said her husband was definitively diagnosed by a hospital (he's in his 50s now, I think).

So what can I say to these people? How do you explain these "diagnoses?"

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

You can't outgrow celiac. You may go through a phase of your life where you have alot of symptoms then the symptoms go away in another phase of your life but no matter what it is still doing damage. Once you have it you have it...nothing you can do except follow the gluten free diet.
I've heard that alot too but they don't understand celiac. They obviously are misinformed. Tell them to come to this site and research it more to make sure they get their facts straight.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

One line from the National Institutes of Health consensus report on celiac says it all:

"The management of celiac disease is a gluten-free diet for life."

richard

#4 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

Here's something I just posted to another thread:

A lot of food sensitivities are often temporary. But gluten is not a food sensitivity, it is an autoimmune reaction which is a whole other ball of wax. Once your body is trained to react that way to gluten, it will never forget. It's like when you get a flu shot - you get a weakened version of the flu virus injected and your body reacts by building an immune reaction to it. So then in the future, if you are exposed to the same virus, like someone else around you is sick with it, your body is already trained in what to do with that virus - it has the antibodies built up inside, ready to go. Gluten is the same as the virus in your body - your body sees it and says, oh, where are those antibodies - and the antibodies attack your body, instead of the gluten. It never forgets how to do this, even though it is an inappropriate reaction.

Maybe that explanation will help?

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

a few decades ago, doctors thought that you could outgrow it, since symptoms manifest differently in adults than children many times. we know now that this is wrong, but a lot of people were told incorrect information decades ago but still go by it.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 lbsteenwyk

lbsteenwyk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

I usually tell people that there has been a lot of new research on celiac disease in the past decade and that we now have new information that children do not outgrow celiac disease. As Tarnalberry said, symptoms in adulthood often seem to resolve, but the autoimmune response is still occuring and still damaging the body. Teenagers often experience a period of having few if any symptoms and this is why doctors used to think that children outgrew the disease.
Laurie
Mom to:
Hayley age 4, gluten-free at 26 months
Clark age 3, negative celiac bloodwork

#7 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:45 AM

We have run into this too and I usually just say "Yeah, doctors used to think you could outgrow it, but the research has proven them wrong and modern doctors know you need to stay gluten-free permanently" and then we move the conversation along. I'm not sure what motivates those kind of comments! But let's not get started again on the "stupid things people have said" thread :)

Joanna
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#8 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

I have one person I have encountered multiple times who keeps telling me about how her son had Celaic when he was a child, but he outgrew it. I have tried to tell her differently, but she has no intention of hearing what I have to say. As far as she is concerned her son is fine now and won't have to deal with that difficult diet again! The worst part about it is that she is a nurse. I wish that she would at least be open to learning that if her son starts to have other symptoms that he should be tested again and go back on the diet, but she is not hearing me at this time. I wish I knew her son personally. He might be open to hearing the information. Who knows, he might be having symptoms, but what grown man wants to discuss his "bathroom problems" with his mom! ;)

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#9 icm

icm

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

There are at least three (3) factors required for celiac disease to be present.

Presence of genes
Presence of decreased intestinal integrity (i.e. something that alters the bacterial balance in the intestine)
Presence of gluten

I believe that there is a fourth factor as well that I won't go into for now.

What's important to realise is that some cases of celiac disease actually have gone into remission (possibly through the regaining of full intestinal integrity). This is very different from 'outgrowing' the disease as it is likely that as soon as 'leaky gut syndrome' strikes again there will almost certainly be a 'relapse'.

#10 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Exactly. I was one of those who had several periods of "remission" throughout my teenage and young adult years. I had been told by doctors that I had outgrown my "wheat allergy" and since it didn't make me sick anymore I believed them. But celiac stays forever, sometimes quietly lurking, waiting for the next illness or stressful event to make it active again. It is frustrating when you talk to people who swear they or their children outgrew it. I simply tell them that doctors only recently learned that the disease never actually goes away, even when it seems dormant, and suggest they look into some recent research. Its pointles to send them to thei doctors- few of their doctors would even recognize the fact.

#11 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

No, it cannot be outgrown. It does not go away. Some allergies may, asthma possibly can, but not Coeliac Disease, not diabetes either. I encounter this with my daughter's Autism too, people telling me they knew someone was "a little bit autistic" as a child who outgrew it. No, they may have learnt to manage it, but it never goes away. Some things are for life. People need to keep up with the current research.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#12 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

I don't feel the risk of lymphoma or melanoma or another type of cancer is worth the risk of letting my child eat gluten again. Even if he has no symptoms from eating it one or twice .... Could just be that he isn't that "sensitive" to it.

#13 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

The risk if lymphoma and infertility is why I keep my 12 year old silent celiac gluten free. She could eat a loaf of bread with no problem. I understand how 98% are undiagnosed. However, sometimes I wonder if I have traded one cancer risk for another. I cook her food on aluminum foil and supposedly that's bad. She also eats rice in some form almost every meal. Now I read about arsenic. I hope I am not just trading one thing for another.

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

The risk if lymphoma and infertility is why I keep my 12 year old silent celiac gluten free. She could eat a loaf of bread with no problem. I understand how 98% are undiagnosed. However, sometimes I wonder if I have traded one cancer risk for another. I cook her food on aluminum foil and supposedly that's bad. She also eats rice in some form almost every meal. Now I read about arsenic. I hope I am not just trading one thing for another.

If every day you followed the health advice for that particular day, you would drive yourself crazy. :blink: You would be doing what you weren't doing yesterday, and not doing what you were doing yesterday. All you can do is apply a reasoned mind and weigh the balance of the evidence and do what you think is best. :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

In my opinion, we'll all die of something someday. So it isn't worth worrying over such things (such as the rice).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: