This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressed

DonnaMM

DonnaMM Explorer

It's really starting to hit me I will never be allowed to have certain things. Going out with my friends is no longer fun I dont like wine or beer and can never find potato vodka at restaurants office parties are always terrible and there are never foods I can eat. I can't have my fried Mac and cheese from cheesecake anymore. This is very depressing I feel left out from the world and no seems to care. I also just found that I have a heart condition and must limit my salt which is what makes most gluten free processed foods tolerable. Any ideas so I can get myself out of this funk?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sahm-i-am Apprentice

My word Donna! You need a hug. You are still new to gluten free and it is a huge lifestyle change. It took me a good year and a half to be emotionally ok (although I did have a mini-break down the other night because I felt abnormal and different - I HATE pity and I get alot of it from family! Grrrr!).

If I were you, if you have a WHole Foods near you - go get one of their Gluten Free Bakehouse Cupcakes. They come in chocolate or vanilla. They come in the freezer section in a four-pack. Take them home and eat one. It will lift your spirits. I am sorry I have no better, healthier ideas. I just wanted to make you smile. You have been through alot and the journey hasn't been easy - I am sorry for that.

But don't think nobody cares - this forum is FULL of people who know exactly what you are going through. When I was feeling down I would spend hours on this site reading other's people's stories.

mamaw Community Regular

You are fairly new to the gluten-free lifestyle.. I know these will be things you do not want to hear but !!!!!!! For most people the greiving process needs to take place. Hell yes, you naturally would be depressed, you have lost your way of life you've known since your early years...Most go throught the greiving process just as if you lost a loved one. It is natural to be angry, depressed, sad, unhappy, denial, a worthless feeling, lost of friends... ALL NATURAL.. NOw what you do with this process is up to you... For me I would never let a disease get the best of me, DON"T LET IT WIN...You can learn & grow from your mishaps or let it destroy you.. Your choice...

I can tell you that this lifestyle will make you be healthier therefore you will be able to do more...

It takes time to process all the info of the diet/lifestyle... It is a lifestyle but way better than any other disease.... think about it no deadly drugs, no chemo just a eating change, and believe me there is a clone for almost every gluten product out there.

I'm sure you already found out the convience is gone & in a way that may never be perfect again.But it is managable...

When your office have a party make your own food & go & enjoy the fun. Plenty of booze you can have... Make yourself some goodies & freeze them for when you need a piece of cake or a cookie.Buy some quick gluten-free meals that you can eat so every night you don't have to cook.. Buy some gluten-free buns to take to your burger place..Find places that cater to gluten-free ..There are many these days...

If you need to know of eateries,or what isexcellent in the gluten-free foods just ask. I do test marketing & know of some mighty fine gluten-free foods&places to eat...

Lastly don't dwell on what you can't have but what you can do & have...

ANd it's okay to have a brief pity party but then more on so you don't end up in a life long pity party...

You are not alone, your friends will come around, if they are truly your friends they will be glad you are not sick any longer.......

We all have been where you are at this point.........give it time....

blessings

mamaw

RacerX35 Rookie

For me it was a much easier switch to the gluten free lifestyle. It was either stop eating gluten or continue having seizure from epilepsy. I found that gluten ended up being a contributor to the problem. I have also found so many gluten free products now as well. The major grocery store chains here like Vons (Safeway in other areas), Ralphs, Stater Bros and other health food stores. About an hour away is a Whole foods store and also in Las Vegas for when I go there on business trips. A lot of the big restaurant chains have also started serving gluten free foods as well. One of my all time favorites is The Old Spaghetti Factory. They now serve gluten free noodles and I was told that all their sauces besides the meatball sauce is gluten free. Friends and family do come around after awhile and like is said, bring your own products to parties and such. Sometimes you'll find people that want to try it as well. It can be kind of fun at times when they come around. It is a change, but something that is for the better and there is so much available. Just be careful. I went to buy some of the Amy's Gluten Free burritos and ended up buying the regular ones instead. The packaging is exactly the same in coloring and all. It's just that the gluten free ones say gluten free on them.

Good luck!

Ray

Macbre Explorer

It's really starting to hit me I will never be allowed to have certain things. Going out with my friends is no longer fun I dont like wine or beer and can never find potato vodka at restaurants office parties are always terrible and there are never foods I can eat. I can't have my fried Mac and cheese from cheesecake anymore. This is very depressing I feel left out from the world and no seems to care. I also just found that I have a heart condition and must limit my salt which is what makes most gluten free processed foods tolerable. Any ideas so I can get myself out of this funk?

I know how you feel....it is hard adjusting to the fact that others can eat anything they want and you have to read a label before you even think about touching it. It does become depressing. My husband does most of the cooking in our home...and granted he has been wonderful....but I do get upset when he wants to try something new and he finds out I can't have it then I feel so guilty. I did find one "chocolate pleasure" I can still have.....Cheescake Factory Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake. I always ask them to cut me a piece with a clean knife and I usually have them cut if from a fresh cake....so far so good and I am very sensitive. Hopefully you have a Cheesecake Factory in your area and can try it for yourself.

Hang in there....it does get easier to deal with. I think it takes a couple of times of getting really, really sick and then you don't really care what others eat because you see it as poison!

Just out of curiosity....what are your heart problems? The reason I ask is because I have heart related issues that seem to get worse when I'm glutened. I haven't found too many people with the same problems.

DonnaMM Explorer

I LOVE cheesecake factory an you made my day telling me their Godiva chocolate cheesecake is gluten free. Oh and the doctors tend to think my heart problems are related to chemotherapy I have a low ejection fraction and VERY high heart rate, I believe my stress with eating gluten and the pain I experience has only done more stress and made it worse

Bella001 Explorer

I know how you feel. The holidays make this very hard also. Everybody tries to cook me gluten free and I don't want to eat it. We all know first hand how many hazards are lurking around every corner. I would love to go out to eat and not have a panic attack doing it. I've been gluten free for almost two years and I feel so much better physically, but I feel like I miss out or get labeled as the weird o. I had a friend tell me to just forget about it for a day and eat it....if she only knew how sick I get and how much pain I'm in when it happens by mistake! Then I have the occasional person tell me that's why I'm small, I'm a picky eater. I've gained 6 lbs off gluten. I agree, it sucks. Don't think we have a choice, so guess it is what it is.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived