61 replies to this topic

#16 allergyprone

allergyprone

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

you might be celiac if you did a victory dance in the isle when you found out that fruity pebbles were gluten free

you might be celiac if being hungry away from home is your worst nightmare

you might be celiac if you use tongs to hold the fish flake container when you feed your fish and then was your hands compulsively afterwards

you might be celiac if you avoid passing the bread at dinner

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

You might be a celiac if...

There's a stomach bug going around and you are actually jealous of the people with diarrhea. (true story lol)

If you have spent $200 on food just to throw $150 of it away cos it went bad.

You've told a family member they can have some of your food just to find crumbs in it the next day :/

You've told someone that you can't eat gluten and tell them how it makes you feel and they say "I think I have that too!"

You tell family members this maybe why they have some of the problems they have just for them to say "I'm not giving up my food"

If someone has offered you unsafe food and before you can respond a friend or family member shouts out "They can't eat that!!" lol

You've gotten excited and bought something you think is safe just to get home and find you forgot to check for other things it has that you are allergic too.

You're brain hits the delete button after you tell it to remember something lol

Your colon looks at laxatives like they're Flintstones vitamins.

If you have more supplements than the drugstore. lol

If people seem have a harder time with you not being able to eat anything than you do.

You're brain hits the delete button after you tell it to remember something (Just kidding!!) :lol:
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

You might be a Coeliac if!

I posted these selections on The Irish Coeliac Society Message Board a few years ago, I hope you enjoy them.

The First Collection

The Second Collection

The Third Collection

Thanks so much for these, Davey!!! hilarious!! :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

you might be celiac if you use tongs to hold the fish flake container when you feed your fish and then was your hands compulsively afterwards

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

...if you find yourself "seeing celiacs everywhere" and have to stop yourself from telling them their obvious ill health is from gluten.... :ph34r:

...if you have know waaaay more than you ever wanted to about the GI tract, poop and what makes for healthy bowels :rolleyes:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#21 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

...if you have know waaaay more than you ever wanted to about the GI tract, poop and what makes for healthy bowels :rolleyes:

And if you find you have an unlimited vocabulary for describing poop, much like the Eskimos have for "snow"
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

And if you find you have an unlimited vocabulary for describing poop, much like the Eskimos have for "snow"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#23 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

You might be celiac if....

You've gone to the grocery store and were excited to find a gluten free isle just to turn around and see that it's also the bread isle. Doh! lol :D
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#24 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

It's the gluten free aisle!!!! No, wait!! it's the organic / natural foods aisle, no wait a minute, it's the international foods aisle -- oh what the heck, it's the "we just chuck everything here that we don't know where else to put it" aisle :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#25 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

....your first description of a meal out is "it didn't make me sick" instead of "it was delicious"....

GOOD ONE!!!!! :lol:
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#26 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

You might be celiac if....

You've gone to the grocery store and were excited to find a gluten free isle just to turn around and see that it's also the bread isle. Doh! lol :D

GGGGRRRR..that is TRue for my local HEB grocery store!!! :angry:
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#27 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

...if you find yourself "seeing celiacs everywhere" and have to stop yourself from telling them their obvious ill health is from gluten.... :ph34r:

That's so true... Everytime I meet people on forums and they complain about GI-problems I tell them about celiac disease. Call me weird, but I feel it's my duty to do so. celiac disease is largely undiagnosed here in NL: only 1 out of 8 is diagnosed and that's an optimistic number. Missing: over 125,000 patients. The biggest problem is that doctors don't take it seriously here. Most Dutch coeliacs have been sent home for years with "everyone's got GI-problems at some point, it's just IBS". It usually takes years before doctors actually start testing anything, and even then wrong advices are given.

My doctor put me on a diet before I ever had a biopsy. This elongated the whole process with a year, I even had to do a gluten reintroduction to get my biopsy. Gluten reintroduction failed horribly after a few weeks, leading to a nice stay at the hospital again. It was unsafe to continue, so my gastroenterologist gave me the diagnosis by evidence of my severe reactions to gluten.

After these experiences I feel that someone has to educate the public. If the doctors know nothing about it, how else should people know? So I never hide that I have celiac disease and I explain a lot to whoever wants to hear. The more people know about it, the better.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Don't feel bad for the Dutch, Ellile -- they estimate that 97% of Americans are undiagnosed :unsure:
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#29 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

I think this is probably anywhere?? I look at people now and think 'get off the gluten'.
anyways.. back to topic...

you might be celiac if you feel/look like crap

Aim should be to test babys at birth...

#30 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:41 AM

You might be celiac when you go to the bathroom and can identify the last thing you ate. :blink: (yeah, I know it was gross) :P

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: