51 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

After much thought and consideration, I've decided to bake my most-beloved gluten-free coffeecake, it always gets rave reviews and no one knows it's gluten-free, and pair it with some Starbuck's salted caramel hot chocolate for me and latte for hubs (no one else will make it over before noon). Probably put out some almonds and sliced up fruit and cheese slices to go with. That's for breakfast.

Next, if they are open, we will all go to our favorite Indian restarant that serves the really thin bread with incredible green and red sauce for an appetizer (they make theirs with lentil flour and no wheat or other flour added) and probably a lamb kabob dish with rice/veggies for main course.

Just did not want to cook this year, much. Of course this all depends upon whether said restaurant will be open. Turkey is problematic for me because some companies insist upon adding msg to the liquid they infuse them with to make them "juicier." It's always a research project to find a brand that doesn't.

What is everyone else cooking or doing this year?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

I am the only one who loves the big turkey dinner with all the fixins . . . Nothing like putting all that work into a meal and nobody appreciating it (daughter putting ketchup on the turkey so she can choke it down <_< ).

This year I'm making spaghetti and meatballs. The pumpkin pie is still on . . . that was the only item that made the cut.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

I am such a traditionalist. I will make fruit salad, roasted turkey, cornbread dressing, oyster dressing (only thing I can't eat) sweet potato casserole, spinach casserole, relish tray (olives, pickles, cranberry sauce) Chebe rolls, pecan pie and caramel cake.

In addition to my husband and me, my daughter, son, and 4 grandcildren will be here, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

#4 MacieMay

MacieMay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Any of the above willing to share some yummy gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes? I love to try a coffee cake and a spinach casserole. I'm looking for a cornbread recipe too. I want to have a gluten free thanksgiving/birthday dinner this weekend at home with my husband and 3 daughters (daughter age 2 is gluten intolerant). Trying to get the whole family to realize that a gluten free diet is yummy and a healthier way to eat. Thanks!

#5 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Here is the spinach casserole:

2 pkg frozen chopped spinach
1 med onion, chopped
1 stick butter
1 pkg Pacific gluten-free mushroom soup
1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 can artichoke hearts
salt & pepper to taste
gluten-free bread crumbs

Cook and drain spinach. Saute onion in butter. Pemove from heat and add spinach, soup, cheese, S&p. Arrange artichoke hearts in bottom of casserole. Cover with spinach mixture and cover with bread crumbs. Dot with butter and bake at 300 degrees until bubbly.

#6 samie

samie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

I plan on making turkey, yams, green beens ( if i can make gluten-free green bean cassorle but got to find a recipe for that), try to make a good stuffing thats gluten- free. Also trying to find some good pie love pumpkin pie and maybe gluten-free dinner rolls. This will be the first thanksgiving gluten-free for me and my daughter.

#7 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

You are all making me hungry!!!! In addition to gluten, I can't have a trace of dairy or soy but luckily, Thanksgiving fare is so easy to keep free of all of those.

1. Turkey and homemade glace from stock and drippings
2. Fresh sweet potatoes with bourbon pecan glaze
3. Fresh cranberry sauce made with apples and honey
4. Special Jambalaya traditional in my southern family
5. Steamed assorted vegetables tossed with olive oil and minced garlic, mixed with mushrooms sauteed in vermouth

Not kidding, my stomach is growling right now.

6. Copious amounts of wine
7. Dessert will be black bean brownies, topped with So Delicious coconut vanilla bean ice cream and Bakery on Main granola

My husband is a diligent allergan free cook, (he's not intolerant to anything that I am but mostly eats what I eat by choice) and he'll be helping to prepare all of this. Twelve people will eat this menu and no one will miss a thing!
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#8 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

We do a traditional Thanksgiving, all gluten-free.

relish and cheese trays
salad
turkey
mashed potatoes with gravy
stuffing
cornbread casserole
green bean casserole
cranberries
oatmeal maple bread
pumpkin pie - for those of you egg or dairy intolerant, I just made an fabulous gluten-free, DF, EF pie filling
going to try a new apple pie recipe the year
pumpkin bars/cake

LOVE Thanksgiving dinner!

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

I don't have any family. Period. So for the past few years I have gone with a large group of friends to the American Legion. They put on a huge Thanksgiving dinner. Everything is homemade. Tender juicy turkey, three different types of stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, two different sweet potato dishes, several different veggies, cranberry jelly, cranberry relish, homemade breads of several types, and every kind of pie and cake you can think of. All they ask is a donation.

I will be taking my bowl of meat, cauliflower and cheese, and I will enjoy Thanksgiving with my friends. And when we're done, I'm going to get a take-out for my friend Kelly who is homebound with cancer. It's going to be a great day, and I will be giving thanks for my friends, and for the fact that if I stick to my diet I feel really good. And of course I will begiving thanks that Kelly is still with us.

Oh yeah, I will be giving thanks that I finally get a day off!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

I don't have any family. Period. So for the past few years I have gone with a large group of friends to the American Legion. They put on a huge Thanksgiving dinner. Everything is homemade. Tender juicy turkey, three different types of stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, two different sweet potato dishes, several different veggies, cranberry jelly, cranberry relish, homemade breads of several types, and every kind of pie and cake you can think of. All they ask is a donation.

I will be taking my bowl of meat, cauliflower and cheese, and I will enjoy Thanksgiving with my friends. And when we're done, I'm going to get a take-out for my friend Kelly who is homebound with cancer. It's going to be a great day, and I will be giving thanks for my friends, and for the fact that if I stick to my diet I feel really good. And of course I will begiving thanks that Kelly is still with us.

Oh yeah, I will be giving thanks that I finally get a day off!!

Thanks for reminding us what it's all about :)

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

I second that!

We'll probably have salad, stuff a Capon with rice and sausage stuffing, do mashed potatoes and gravy, a green been casserole (I'll fry my own onions and made cream of mushroom soup a few weeks ago).

Then again, since I don't have children and my family are going to be out of town, I may tell DP we're having hotdogs and he has to grill them while he's watching football. I'm leaning toward the latter. Maybe I'll make coleslaw. Yep, I'm thinking slaw dogs. To be determined.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hmmmm.....

Ham/cream cheese wrapped asparagus.
Relish tray...
Turducken roulade stuffed with cornbread dressing.
Carrot souffle.
Some sort of green beans....perhaps wrapped in bacon and baked???
Gravy (from chicken drippings since that roulade won't give up juice).
Homemade, liquored up cranberry sauce.
Perhaps Chebe rolls/bread sticks....
Chocolate cheesecake.
Perhaps apple pie...

Have to figure out my cornbread. So far am not loving my conversion efforts.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#13 AMom2010

AMom2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

OMG - I just found this chocotae pie with a meringue shell! Can't wait to try it :D

http://allrecipes.co...pie/detail.aspx

#14 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

Any of the above willing to share some yummy gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes? I love to try a coffee cake and a spinach casserole. I'm looking for a cornbread recipe too. I want to have a gluten free thanksgiving/birthday dinner this weekend at home with my husband and 3 daughters (daughter age 2 is gluten intolerant). Trying to get the whole family to realize that a gluten free diet is yummy and a healthier way to eat. Thanks!

Copied the spinach casserole recipe. Looks good, mbrooks! Thanks!

Coffee Cake (Gluten-Free)
By Scott Adams
Published 07/26/1996
Gluten-Free Cake Recipes (Frostings)
Rating:
This recipe comes to us from Betty Doubravsky. My wife entered this in the Dolores County Fair here in Colorado and won three ribbons . - James
cup salad oil ( I use olive oil )
1 beaten egg
cup milk
1 cup gluten-free flour* plus 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
Combine salad oil, egg, and milk. Sift dry ingredients and add, mixing will. Pour into greased 9x9x2 inch pan. Sprinkle with Spicy Topping* and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.
* Spicy Topping:
Combine cup gluten-free brown sugar, 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour, 2 teaspoon ground gluten-free cinnamon , 2 tablespoon melted butter, cup broken nuts (your choice ). This is best fresh, however if any of it does make it through the first day, it never makes it through the second.

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

OMG - I just found this chocotae pie with a meringue shell! Can't wait to try it :D

http://allrecipes.co...pie/detail.aspx

HOLY COW!! I can EAT that!! I can even make meat pies using a merangue shell I NEVER would have thought of that. Oh, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: