This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free Options In Charleston, Sc And Savannah, Ga

OkieGirl

OkieGirl Newbie

My sister and I are taking our mom on a trip to Charleston and Savannah at the end of December in celebration of her retirement! While my mom doesn't have Celiac, my sister and I both do. Can anyone recommend some gluten free dining options in these cities for us? If at all possible we would like to eat at local restaurants instead of national chains. Neither one of us have traveled to this area before.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

In Savannah try Sapphire Grill, Blue Turtle Bistro or ChaBella for local restaurants. If you get in a bind and want a chain I think there is a Melting Pot and Bonefish Grill. I know there is a Five Guys downtown too. I haven't been to Charleston in a while so I don't have any recommendations.

jaten Enthusiast

My sister and I are taking our mom on a trip to Charleston and Savannah at the end of December in celebration of her retirement! While my mom doesn't have Celiac, my sister and I both do. Can anyone recommend some gluten free dining options in these cities for us? If at all possible we would like to eat at local restaurants instead of national chains. Neither one of us have traveled to this area before.

Thanks!

I'm traveling to Charleston and on to Williamsburg Co the end of this week (will create a related thread), so I've been searching for Charleston-area gluten free, too!

Please share here what you've learned so far. I leave this Friday!

Here are two sites that may be helpful as you begin your research for Celiac-safe options in Charleston:

Open Original Shared Link

and

Open Original Shared Link

anabananakins Explorer

When I was in Charleston I was by myself so I didn't end up eating out. But there was a supermarket in walking distance of downtown and I found that really helpful - I lived on fruit, veges, Chex, yoghurt and I can't remember the brand but I got precooked bacon for protein :-)

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I just returned from Savannah a month ago. We ate at Churchill's and at the Marriott's Bohemian on the waterfront. I had excellent flavorful meals at both locations. There is also a coffee shoppe 1-3 blocks south of the Starbucks that serves a gluten free cake. I couldn't have it because it contained dairy, but I did pass the sign with my mouth watering every day on my way into town. I ate at another restaraunt on the waterfront that had a relatively good gluten-free meal. I found that everywhere I went, waiters seemed to not be phased by a request for a gluten-free meal and knew what to do more so than here in my midwestern town. I'm extremely sensitive, and had no problems. My biggest complaint was the hotel we stayed at made me 2 wonderful gluten-free meals the first 2 days, then when I ordered those dishes the next few times, they were bland and boring. Oh, there is also a Mellow Mushroom near the Hilton that makes a great gluten-free pizza. They only come in mediums, so it was quite expensive for one person, but with 2 celiac's it would be perfect. The hilton is several blocks in from the waterfront, so you are unlikely to head there. There was also a weird little convenience store that looked like a converted bank or gas station that sold gourmet (including gluten-free) packaged foods and regular prepared foods. Again, it was off limits for me because of other allergies, but might be a place to go if you need some cookies or something. It was a block or two closer to the waterfront from the Hilton. Not a lot is down that way, so it isn't really worth a trip.

Reba32 Rookie

I visited Charleston a couple of years ago and can't for the life of me recall the name of the restaurant where I had a nice hamburger without a bun.

There's a Whole Foods market just outside the city, they usually have some gluten-free options there. I grabbed some chicken wings and a salad one night from their ready to go section.

Mostly I took my own food and we had a frige and microwave in our hotel room.

OkieGirl Newbie

Thank you all for your suggestions! My sister made the hotel reservations so I'm not sure where we are staying, but we will have a rental car so we can easily drive to restaurants that are not near our hotels. It's always good to know a Whole Foods location too. Thanks again! I'll report back once we return from our trip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Also, I have eaten at the Pirate's House successfully but don't expect to get the warm fuzzies or special attention from the waitstaff. It's a cool landmark if you are in to the ghost thing and if you stick to the basics and don't ask for much you 'should' be OK. They do know what gluten is but the kitchen is pretty full of gluten so CC is always an issue.

Also, definitely second the Bohemian roof top bar.

• 1 month later...
OkieGirl Newbie

Back from our trip and we all had a great time! We were able to try some great restaurants without any problems.

I can

Archived