8 replies to this topic

#1 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

About two months ago my left calf on the side and front was burning as if I had a sunburn or had scraped it. No visual difference, just a burning or stinging feeling if touched or if my clothes would rub against it. After 24 hours it went away. Two months later ( today) its back again. Same exact place and stinging feeling. No changes in appearance of leg or anything else. No rash. Anyone else ever experience this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

A tingling feeling? Yes too tingling, before I went gluten-free and a symptoms of other food (or additive) intolerances after going gluten-free. It's neuropathy aka nerve damage if that's what you're experiencing.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

A tingling feeling? Yes too tingling, before I went gluten-free and a symptoms of other food (or additive) intolerances after going gluten-free. It's neuropathy aka nerve damage if that's what you're experiencing.

Not tingling, but a stinging/burning feeling. As if my skin is sun burned or scraped.

#4 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

I have had this, and I have no clue what it is either.
It is like a sunburn feeling without a sunburn.

I first noticed it when I was pregnant, like 7 years ago..and I would get it once in a while..and as you said, it would last from 24-48 hours and go away, but what just so annoying when I had it...and uncomfortable.

I started to figure out it would happen where maybe I strained a muscle or something and then I would get that nerve sensation. Like if I am raking leaves in the yard, maybe I will feel it on my hand the next day for a few hours. I have been gluten-free almost 3 years now, and since being gluten-free maybe it is less, but it will happen every now and then. At first I would freak out with worry about it, and then my mom told me she gets it too, so I just kind of forgot about it.

I would be curious if others get it too.
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

#5 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

I sometimes get a feeling similar to this when I'm about to break out with shingles. I believe it's a nerve issue so you may have some nerve damage which can be common with celiac or you could be low on B12.

#6 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

I am scheduling an appt. with a neurologist and will let you know what they say. I am so tired of doctors and hate to go for this since I can still function daily. I just want to make sure whatever it is doesn't get worse or cause more health issues. :unsure:

#7 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

If it actually hot to touch? Or just a sensation of burning?

#8 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

Spandex causes my skin to feel like a burn. It comes and goes. Not always with every contact and with contact it doesn't usually last long. If I change my jeans etc. it goes away. Sometimes there is a mild redness but not always. I am latex allergic and spandex can contain latex. Even if it's not latex that is bothing me, other chemicals/substances related to the latex making process can bother me.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#9 foodiegurl

foodiegurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

I sometimes get a feeling similar to this when I'm about to break out with shingles. I believe it's a nerve issue so you may have some nerve damage which can be common with celiac or you could be low on B12.

Interesting. I was very low on B12, and had to do injections to get a loading dose and now take it a few times a week. Makes sense.
Anne in Chicago
Pescatarian since 2005
Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36
Gluten-free since 3.16.2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: