Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Australian?

15 posts in this topic

More and more surprised by the Aussies on this forums so just wonder who is and where you live?

What products work for you? Brands, stores etc?

I found the Coeliac Society wasn't for me due to my lack of diagnosis (financial rather than willingness or alternate situation) so would love to have some really good contacts for Gluten free.

Ads by Google:

I'm in Brisbane. For finding new products I use the internet, or just check the health food stores/aisles of the supermarket.

I like the Freedom foods biscuits and some of the Woolworths brand are good as well. Some Kettle chips are now gluten free, otherwise a lot of flavoured rice crackers are good. Also Woolworths are stocking a new brand of crumbed gluten free fish called Kingfisher.

There is stuff out there, it's just finding it that can be the problem. Also I don't think we are quite there with the "convenience" food. As I've mentioned in other threads in the Uk it easy to find a variety of breads and slices in the supermarkets. You might not have a large variety but chocolate slice is better than nothing. Having said that Coles have made improvments in the last few months. I understand they have a bigger population but CLEARLY by the fact that health food sections here are expanding, we have the market for it. Personaly I would rather a few different varities of biscuits (for example) than say a choice of 4 companies who all do a choc chip biscuit.

I'm from the Gold Coast.

Aldi's gluten-free bread is awesome. (for gluten-free)

Woolies at Coomera Springs has a huge range of Macro gluten-free foods.

Will add to this list shortly.

Jason

Freedom foods are one of my main production line foods that I buy. I seem to be super-super sensitive but the Freedom foods I have never had a problem with.

I didn't know Aldi stocked Gluten-Free bread. I might check that out.

Convenience fish I have missed!!! If I can't find it our local Woolies I might ask if they could stock it.

I live at Sutton a little village in NSW but just over the border from Canberra.

There is a great gluten-free bakery "Deeks" at Dickson,Canberra that does mailorders. I highly recommend (I'm in no way affiliated with them) https://secure.deeks.com.au/index2.html

Loads of notGFree people love to go there.

I'm not sure if the Aldis in NSW/ACT will stock the gluten free bread. The ones stocked up here are by a company called Wild Breads who are based in South East Queenslnad.

Also re the fish- A few of the woolies I've been into are stocking it in the "normal" frozen fish section instead of the gluten free one. It's in a blue and white box.

I went to the gluten free expo and taste tested until I could no more. Otherwise I just peruse the gluten-free isles and try whatever strikes my fancy. I'm currently in Sydney but about to move to the central west NSW.

The expo in Brisbane this year was combined with Good food and wine show. I reluctantly paid the $20 entry fee. It was such a waste of money.

The gluten free section was exteremly small and there was no gluten-free food available at the cafes. Most the exhibitors were ones whose products are easlily availble in supermarkets or health food shops. I have gone every year in the past but I won't be supporting the event again if it's going to be in the new format. It now costs twice as much to get in for somethng half the size or less.

That is crazy Saz! The one in Sydney was completely gluten free and it was free to get in!!

It used to cost about $10 here. I was more than happy to pay that much because there were so many exhibitors and I could buy stuff that is usually hard to find. Nevermind I wiil go to the one run by the society in future, cheaper to get in and I can have everything.

I expect to pay more for gluten-free but it annoys me that some places now seem to be going with the "trend" and cashing in. Unlike vegan/vegetarian or similar this is not a "choice" for most of us. Pity eating is rather necessary to stay alive.

I'm in Sydney. I'm trying not to eat processed foods so I'm not really eating much special gluten free stuff anymore. But the australians and newzealanders thread is good, we usually post there when we find something that we like.

I google restaurants (if someone else chose them), or use the coeliac society's list. There are a few bloggers doing write-ups of gluten free options at restaurants in Sydney, it's very helpful.

Another one here who lives in brisbane.

Choicesglutenfree have quite a variety of stuff (including garlic bread) and all sorts of pre packaged things to make at home or pre made. They also deliver for most items, which I find useful.

There's a good restaurant where literally half or more of the menu is gluten free called Food & Soul. I've never gotten sick there and the desserts they do are amazing (particularly the Roulade).

Coles now do gluten free snakes. Apart from that it's the marco whole foods range, freedom foods and the butter shortbread that I stick to. Over the last few years the range has definitely gotten better, particularly in the suburbs.

Oh, that butter shortbread is to die for. I took a short cut through the regular biscuit aisle in coles recently and I noticed they had it stocked there too. I thought that was a great idea because it tastes way better than any gluten-containing brand I ever ate and god knows I ate enough short bread back in the day. Next time the supply in the gluten free section is empty (people seem to stock up when they can) I'll be looking in the regular biscuit aisle.

I had Schar corn flakes this morning. I think it is in Coles. And no DH flare!! :D :D :D

Considering how little processed anything I can eat, every new additional is so exciting. The ingredients are very basic and no wheat derived gums etc:

http://www.schaer.com/en/gluten-free-products/corn-flakes/

I might even be tempted to try those shortbread!

It is mighty cold in Canberra at the moment. We are all in jumpers/coats!!! Crazy.

I don't generally eat corn, but I suddenly have cornflakes cravings!

It's pretty chilly in Sydney too. I'm getting lots of wear out of my winter clothes this year! (no complaints though, I hate the high humidity of summer)

Oh god yes! Those shortbreads are to die for! YUMMO! I just picked up the new Leda arrowroot biscuit - I wonder how they will be?? :)